The Lord is unbounded in how many ways?

Hare Krishna

In the eleventh chapter of the Bhagavad Gita, Arjuna prays to the Lord calling Him the unbounded Power when the Lord shows him the universal form.

That means there is no boundation to Krsna's freedom. The three modes of nature cannot bind Him. How else is He unbounded?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna,

This is the toughest question of the entire forum.  Dipen Preet Prabhu ji,  ;-) 

I have only one head, and one tongue.... and I am not even Vishnu tattva to think about leave about counting how many ways The Supreme Lord is Unbounded. We are only jivatmas poor souls. But question asked is indeed making me wonder thinking about the unlimited ways in which Lord is unbound. It made me ponder in that direction. Thank you for asking this question.

ŚB 5.25.12

mūrdhany arpitam aṇuvat sahasra-mūrdhno
    bhū-golaṁ sagiri-sarit-samudra-sattvam
    ānantyād animita-vikramasya bhūmnaḥ
    ko vīryāṇy adhi gaṇayet sahasra-jihvaḥ

Because the Lord is unlimited, no one can estimate His power. This entire universe, filled with its many great mountains, rivers, oceans, trees and living entities, is resting just like an atom on one of His many thousands of hoods. Is there anyone, even with thousands of tongues, who can describe His glories?

Lord Ananta Sesha who has thousand hoods and thousand tongues...constanly glorifying Lord says " I am unable to describe His unbounded nature perfectly" Vedas fall short to describe the personal form and His unbounded superemacy. How do you expect us to even think about to count and list the number of ways in which Lord is unbounded? It would be like showing a small lamp to blazing sun. or I am just a jugnoo ( fire fly) and it would be funny for a firefly to think that it can describe the sun. 

Hare Krishna.

• Hare Krishna

I found this wonderful statement: "What is bondage for the ordinary creature is freedom for the Supreme Personality of Godhead."

Description of Autumn

The Krsna book

• Hare Krishna

I found something in the Krsna book Preface: "Krsna has a memory that is boundless, because He possesses unlimited knowledge."

• Right!!! thanks for sharing.

• hare krishna

in every way where up to we can think or cannot think. (By fact). to realise it qualification of arjuna is needed (by practical realisation).

thanks

• Hare Krishna Dipin Prabhu,

Dandavat Pranam.

The word unbounded in dictionary refers to having or appearing to have no limits, moreover the verse in the eleventh chapter that you mentioned also points to this (as you might have already read) ananta-vīrya — meaning unlimited potency and amita-vikramaḥ — meaning unlimited force. Thus, unlimited means having no limit, and so I don't see there should be any limit to the glories of the Lord's power or "in how many ways" the Lord can show his power, which should be infinite. So I guess that is what Srimad Bhagavatam and other prime literatures are all about! Multiple past-times describing various unbounded glories of the Lord's power and His unlimited love for His devotees.

I think this is a wonderful point that you brought up because it is a gentle reminder to all of us that we should not take this term 'God' very cheaply. There are so many so-called human "gurus" claiming themselves to be "God" while they can't even lift a 50 kg dumbbell in a nearby gym - that is their so-called godly power, you see? Krishna lifted the entire govardhan hill, that too with his little mini finger. This is power, this is God.

The Lord says in Bhagavad Gita As It Is 10.19 to Sri Arjun - "I will tell you of My splendorous manifestations, but only of those which are prominent, O Arjuna, for My opulence is limitless." Here śrī-bhagavān uvāca is significant for our discussion because God himself says that his opulence is having no limits.

I read this article (link) which gives a good idea of the word "Bhagavān" meaning one who possesses all six opulences in full: all riches, strength, fame, wisdom, beauty and renunciation, with a few examples.

YS

------------------------
    Disclaimer- Views shared are my own and does not represent the views of any organization like ISKCON. Since this is an open forum - a meeting or medium where ideas on a particular discussion can be exchanged openly, based on the very little bhakti yoga that I practice, I try to share views based on my experiences, realizations and from reading the scriptures.

This reply was deleted.