Spreading Krishna Consciousness in America

This is just something I have been thinking about and would like to hear the thoughts of others. I live in America.

The message of The Bhagavad-Gita is applicable to everyone no matter who they are or where they come from.

America especially needs Krishna and The Bhagavad-Gita. Desperately.

Here is my question, and I do not mean to offend, wouldn't it be a good idea to try promoting Krishna Consciousness in the U.S. by using a more western approach? I understand the significance of wearing robes and dhotis, etc. but I have found that in my discussions with people in America about Krishna Consciousness that they tend to view it as strictly an "Indian" thing because of how devotees dress.

Wouldn't tasteful, western style clothes work better in passing out literature, books and engaging others in discussion?

Also, it is my hope that my Blog listed below will attract those unfamiliar with Krishna Consciousness and The Bhagavad-Gita.

Hare Krishna

http://krishnaforamerica.blogspot.com/

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor
    Hare Krsna Paul prabhu,
    PAMHO.
    I would like to know the reason for your frustration/ anger. If you are staying in the temple, then why so much envy towards Krsna?
    If you are so much against ISKCON, you are free to leave. But why so much hatred in your heart?
    You want the same respect that Krsna gets, thats why you are comfortable in vaishnav dress. This is the definition of envy prabhuji. What can I say to you that you dont already know.
    PLease calm down prabhuji. Take a step back and introspect.
    I can tell you only one thing - Krsna loves you unconditionally. Whatever service you would have done by staying in the temple will be with you through lifetimes. Keep your faith in difficult times prabhuji. That is what our entire training is all about, right?
    I am appealing to your good sense prabhuji. Please allow it to prevail.
    Haribol,
    Your servant,
    Radha Rasamayi DD
  • E-Counselor
    Hare Krsna Paul prabhu,
    PAMHO.
    I would like to know the reason for your frustration/ anger. If you are staying in the temple, then why so much envy towards Krsna?
    If you are so much against ISKCON, you are free to leave. But why so much hatred in your heart?
    You want the same respect that Krsna gets, thats why you are comfortable in vaishnav dress. This is the definition of envy prabhuji. What can I say to you that you dont already know.
    PLease calm down prabhuji. Take a step back and introspect.
    I can tell you only one thing - Krsna loves you unconditionally. Whatever service you would have done by staying in the temple will be with you through lifetimes. Keep your faith in difficult times prabhuji. That is what our entire training is all about, right?
    I am appealing to your good sense prabhuji. Please allow it to prevail.
    Haribol,
    Your servant,
    Radha Rasamayi DD
  •    NO - There is nothing wrong with wearing western dress, but for one in the Temple going out in devotees dress is super important. For one thing you get to see the world some what from Krishna's perspective as people treat you as rep of God.

Sp didn't like the sankirtan devotees wearing wigs and western dress.....

I think the de-militarization of Temple language would be an amazing step....

Temple commander - Temple coordinator

Guru - spiritual teacher

There are many misunderstood words used by devotees just because we started that way....

Karmis - general public

• Sevak

Hare Krsna

De-militarization of Temple language 

Guru - spiritual teacher

What is so military about the word guru ?

It is used in Srimad Bhagavatam and chaitanya caritamrita so many times. 

Hare Krsna

• iam froom iraq i spreading krishna consciousness in iraq and all arabic ❤
    • God Bless you Azad.
      I hereby proclaim you have converted a part of Islam to Religion of Peace.
      In India Islam was respected a lot once. But these Invaders plundered us. We tried to resist but our Gurus were killed by them. Our Temples destroyed, but you are truely a great Human if you are spreading the message of Krishna in the Islamic Lands of War.
  • this tactic was used by book distributors in america, this may be helpful

We decided to go up to the Northeast and preach in the colleges in Boston. We went to Harvard and various other major institutions of learning. It was up there that I decided to train Mahabuddhi and Ghanashyam to do the library and professor work, to sell whole sets of books. I personally took them to the garment district in New York and bought them suits and wigs to cover their shaved heads. We got them respectable clothes, so they could go in and sell books to professors and acquisitions people at the libraries.

And it further says the results were tremendous and Prabhupad was pleased . . .

Taken from "Rosen, Steven J.. Black Lotus: The Spiritual Journey of an Urban Mystic (Kindle Locations 2259-2262). Hari-Nama Press. Kindle Edition." - please read this book it'll be very helpful for preaching in America (just my humble opinion)

• Checking the spread of https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/ in America, Canada, Europe, Australia and rest places is more important. 

Islam: The Politically Incorrect Truth
    Is Islam really a Religion of Peace? What makes Islam so different?
This reply was deleted.