Hare krishna Prabhuji / Mataji,

PAMHO

I want to read scriptures and even I have it. But the problem is that, somewhere I heard that the scriptures must be read under the guidance of a devotee and I don't have anyone to guide me. Everytime, when I think to read, my mind comes up with this thought and I get disappointed as I may not understand properly or may misinterpret it.
Please suggest me, what should I do in such a situation? Should I have to wait until I find the association of devotees?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna,

Pray to Guru for help before you start off to read to remove ignorance and laziness.

अज्ञानतिमिरान्धस्य ज्ञानाञ्जनशालाकया चक्षुरुन्मीलितं येन तस्मै श्रीगुरवे नमः

Ajnana TimirAndhasya JnanaAnjanaShalaakaaya Chakshurunmilitam Yena Tasmai Sri Gurave Namaha

He who removes darkness of ignorance of the blinded (un-enlightened) by applying the ointment(medicine) of (Spiritual) knowledge, He Who opens the eyes, salutations unto that holy Guru

https://iskcondesiretree.com/profiles/blogs/suggested-orderscheme-of

There is an order in which you should read Srila Prabhupada books. Just like you pass you 10+2 then you do your degree and go to masters. In the same way  on must start from small books first. Because small books give us overview of what higher standard books like BG and SB are going to deal with. These books are small and they can be easily completed.. Which will give us a boost to take up next book easily.

See, If you start of with a very long book like SB or BG.. it will take months or years to complete. and one time reading only you will get exhausted and because of long process you will get tired and may stop off in between or you may lose interest. So it is always better to start off with small books.

Whenever you start reading pray to Srila Prabhuapda to help you and guide you in this journey. Surely he will help you complete the book.

Then., read slowly pause and understand what you read you can make small notes of the paragraph read ( like  sticky notes attached) so that when you want to read it next time.. It wont be so difficult. You will just read the sticky note and you can understand whatever is there in that whole text quickly.

There are some suggestions given here you may want to go thru--

http://www.iskcon.com.au/eNews/prayerful-reading-of-srila-prabhupad...

Another point is..

SB 2.2.30, Purport

When we speak of hearing and chanting, it means that not only should one chant and hear of the holy name of the Lord as Rāma, Kṛṣṇa (or systematically the sixteen names Hare Kṛṣṇa, Hare Kṛṣṇa, Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa, Hare Hare/ Hare Rāma, Hare Rāma, Rāma Rāma, Hare Hare), but one should also read and hear the Bhagavad-gītā and Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam in the association of devotees.

It is given in this purport that BG and Srimad Bhagwatam should be read and heard in presence of association of devotees for maxium benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ0CNhxYjzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kTnzgAz-x0

https://prabhupadavani.org/audio/krishna-book-dictation-srila-prabh...   << This book has audio version and so nice with Srila Prabhuapda's own voice.. you can download each chapter and keep book with you while reading and hearing with headphones

https://prabhupadavani.org/audio/amala-bhakta-dasa-narrations/bhaga...

prabhupadavani site is good. It has many audio books.

In youtube there are some audio books also .. what you can do is.. you can listen to them at the same time keep the book in front of you and put your index finger and go on reading along it would be really nice and as well as you can feel like someone is while reading you can take benefit of the audio books and technology available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDXvOak3804&list=PLrZixwxRglRZr...

you can pause and bookmark the page and you can even make sticky notes after you complete a page to get easy understanding of what is being told.

Reading is tough but listening while reading makes bit more interesting and you will feel like you not reading lonely and have an association of pure devotees also.

Hare Krishna.

Last but not the least is Vedabase.com good resource for reading all books and for keeping bookmarks wonderful resource.

SUGGESTED ORDER/SCHEME OF READING SP BOOKS
    SUGGESTED ORDER / SCHEME OF READING BOOKS The following is the list of Srila Prabhupada’s books to be read by interested readers, aspiring to be seri…
    • Wonderful links..Hare krishna 

• Hare Krishna Mataji,

PAMHO.

Thank you for spending your precious time and for providing me many sources and suggestion, which would definitely help me in reading scriptures.

Thank you Mataji,

Hare Krsna 

• E-Counselor

Hare KRsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

YOu can read on your own - its called swadhyay in sanskrit. 

For doubts, you could ask - here or any other forum you jon.

If you are interested in online sange, please write to me on my inbox. I will send you link. We are having daily classes - mornign chanting and evening reading from Srila Prabhupada books. Right now Krsna book is going on. Saturdays is certificate course on Gita.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krsna Mataji, 

PAMHO.

Thank you for your suggestion and invitation. But I can only read scriptures in my free time, which will not be possible in few upcoming days as my exams (jee mains and jee advanced) are approaching (I am having very tough schedule).  Maybe after  45 to 60 Days, I may be able to spend much time in krishna conciousness as I would be having holidays and hence then I could read scriptures. I love to spend my time in spirituality but my family won't agree if it effects my materialistic studies(which I don't like to study). By the way, thank you very much for the invitation.

Haribol.

• Sevak

Hare  Krsna 

I want to read scriptures

This is a very noble aspiration. 

What should I do in such a situation? Should I have to wait until I find the association of devotees?

As far as the scriptures for pure devotional service or shuddha bhakti are concerned, like Srimad Bhagavad Gita, Srimad BHagavatam , they can be read with purports. Srila prabhuapda has given a lot of his time, energy and devotion in being author of these scriptures. It is best to study them under a devotee guide or guru, but even otherwise it is very good to study by oneself. 

As far as misinterpretations are concerned, Srila Prabhupada's books have very deep clarity in them. It is almost impossible to misinterpret them as a whole. But any sincere student will have doubts or questions after reading them, these will need to be clarified, but clarification comes later. First one needs to begin studying with a sincere heart. Kindly do not wait. Please begin. There is a lot of devotional literature. Human life is meant for this. All the best 

Hare Krsna

• Hare Krishna, Prabhuji!

PAMHO

Thank you for your advice. I am very much glad that I can start reading on my own. 

Hare Krsna

This reply was deleted.