Volunteer

Question about fate

In the books i have read so far its mentioned that everything is pre-destined. Then how is it that any action we do is termed as either good or bad karma? If one takes the example of a puppet or an actor in a play, his/her actions are determined by the author/script writer. So, taking the same logic, does it mean that Lord has scripted our destiny to act in a way and still be responsible for it?

I am aware that Lord has given us a minute amount of freedom and within this freedom we still have to abide by the rules, which is fine by me but what I am struggling to understand is the logic of being responsible for the actions and attributing it to fate (which is written by the Supreme).

I am not clear on this issue.

Sorry for my ignorance but if you can guide with proper knowledge, it would help me immensely.

Hare Krsna

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Fate is the choices you get in your life, your karma is what choice you exercise. Thats why you are responsible for your actions, at the same time, you are puppet in God's hands (ultimately).

Suppose you are a science student, you have a choice to be an engineer or a doctor. What marks you get is one the factors for determining your choice. That is fate/ your karma (if you dont study, depending completely on fate alone, you will land up nowhere). But to get the choice of only engineeer or doctor (so to say) and not scientist or physicist is your fate. I hope I have been able to explain to you.

This happens to be a most asked question on this forum. You could see previous discussions and get better clarity.

Haribol,

Your sevant,

Rashmi

• Volunteer

My humble obeisances to all devotees

Thank you Jayaram prabhu, Rankin Fisher prabhu and mataji Rashmi Khaitan for your replies.

I am going through all the topics (threads) and the content from the last page.

• Hare Krishna prabhu,

Once you have turned your heart's intention to desiring Love for Shri Krishna and His activities, then Fate no longer has any bearing in your life. Shri Krishna becomes a personal friend, watching you from a short distance and aiding you closely. You see Him, He sees you, you both come a little closer together.

Because we are in the material universe, karma continues, but slows down according to our efforts, and softens because of our Dear Friend's intervention. In religious terms, we are Personalists. God is a person, and a friend. Wouldn't you remove the prison shackles from your friends arms and legs when they call for your help? If it was within your power? Of course you would. So, we seek Friendship with the Lord; and He is wanting to be there for us personally.

All Glories to Shrila Prabhupada!
    and
    All Glories to your journey, prabhu.

• Hare Krishna,

Srila Prabhupada has mentioned that since the supreme lord is independent, the living entities which come from Him are also independant to an extent, thus we can choose for example if we want to be swayed by forces of maya or be chanting Hare Krishna. Since the lord is sat chit ananda vigraha, the small soul is also sat chid ananda qualitatively but quantitatively small.

In the Mahabharatha for example, the Lord asks Sri Vidura about the be best course of action in order to tackle an issue, for which Lord Vidura after exclaiming that he is not suitable advising, gives a succinct explanation and actions thereof. Lord Krishna graciously accepted his advice and voiced out the good nature of Sri Vidura. This is an instance where the Supreme Lord Himself asks advice from the small soul, the jivatma. Such is the grace of god.

Hari Bol!

Your servant.

This reply was deleted.