Prescribed Duty

Hare Krishna dear devotees....this is an important question....When Krishna says to Arjuna to do his prescribed duties.....what does that means to us....How can we find our prescribed duty today...like someone is engineer, doctor, cobbler, fisherman....does each and every work constitute one's prescribed duty....or does it refer only to varnashram duties....so how can we say that an engineer's duty of advancing technological items is his prescribed duties or a cricketer playing cricket is his prescribed duty bcoz cricket and technology are not mentioned in the scriptures...How can we see that what we do is in accordance with the scriptures...like scriptures don't talk about using laptop...so is using laptop our prescribed duty??

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Prabhu..u said whatever it is....if that profession voilates the regulative principle??how should we see..plz elaborate

• -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1)

jīv jāgo, jīv jāgo, gauracānda bole
    kota nidrā jāo māyā-piśācīra kole

(2)
    bhajibo boliyā ese saḿsāra-bhitare
    bhuliyā rohile tumi avidyāra bhare

(3)
    tomāre loite āmi hoinu avatāra
    āmi binā bandhu āra ke āche tomāra

(4)
    enechi auṣadhi māyā nāśibāro lāgi'
    hari-nāma mahā-mantra lao tumi māgi'

(5)
    bhakativinoda prabhu-caraṇe pariyā
    sei hari-nāma-mantra loilo māgiyā

TRANSLATION

1) Lord Gauranga is calling, "Wake up, sleeping souls! Wake up, sleeping souls! How long will you sleep in the lap of the witch called Maya ?

2) You have forgotten the way of devotional service and are lost in the world of birth and death.

3) I have descended just to save you; other than Myself you have no friend in this world.

4) I have brought the medicine that will wipe out the disease of illusion from which you are suffering. Take this maha-mantra-Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/Hare Rama, Hare Rama Rama Rama, Hare Hare."

5) Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura says: "I fall at the Lord's feet, having taken this mahā-mantra."

Image result for bhaktivinoda thakura

• like krsna says...karmany eva adhikaraste...he says sreyan sva dharmoh vigunah para dharmah sunischitat...in karma yoga he says...in 18th chapter he says....he says we should do our prescribed duties without attachment,etc....but what is our prescribed duties as there are no brahmins,kshatriyas, vaishyas, shudras now....so is doing our job our prescribed duy or are we going against scriptures by doing engineering prabhu....on what parameters should we decide our prescribed duty or is it just whimsical duties that we are doing today???

• SB 11.5.17The killers of the soul are never peaceful, because they consider that human intelligence is ultimately meant for expanding material life. Thus neglecting their real, spiritual duties, they are always in distress. They are filled with great hopes and dreams, but unfortunately these are always destroyed by the inevitable march of time.

• So as devotees practicing bhakti.....if we are doing our jobs and professions in a regulated way....can they be called our prescribed duties??? (is it apara dharma or adharma)....m asking cz krsna stresses everywhere in bg to do one's prescribed duties...so by doing our professions are we doing adharma or dharma(prescribed duty)??

• yes prabhu....thatz very clear...but when i read bhagwatha gita....and gita talks about prescribed duties...so i get confused and m unable to relate with my work...so plz give me a framework how should i look at it and read prescribed duties in bhagwata gita....so according to your explanation...we are not even shudras as we are serving the outcastes....so what should be my perspective towards my career...isnt it my prescribed duty now??.....how can i develop a sense of worth for my work or should i do it half-heartedly???So don't we have any duty in this age except sankirtan??...so that means only brhamchari ashram is pure and grihastha ashram is of no use in today's society??So earning money is also not our duty prabhu in kaliyuga???

• So is studying university subjects my prescribed duty or is it whimsical duty (just like any other profession) 

as they say?? Does krsna wants me to do it??How can i see various things in my life then prabhu..are scriptures donot talk about present day duties???plz guide

• how do i decide what is my duty and what is not my duty.....as krsna says in bhagwata gita that work done in disregard of scriptural injunctions is work in the mode of ignorance....so we are working today just like that by using technological products....so is what we are doing our prescribed duties or whimsical duties...how to decide??

• hare krsna prabhu...very nice explanation....my question is whether the rules and regulations to elevate oneself can be applied today on an individual basis even if the society doesnt follow them...can we practice them individually prabhu in our professions....plz tell in reference to my profession(m an engineer and a chess player)

• So even the fisherman's work cannot be his prescribed duty or can it fit into varnashram duties??

This reply was deleted.