Prescribed Duty

Hare Krsna,

PAMHO

In Bhagavad Gita the Lord says that it is better for one to perform his own occupation imperfectly rather than to perform another's occupation perfectly. For the last few years I have been struggling with finding a career that allows me to perform my dharma as I see it. I feel that I belong in the military and that is how I can serve the Lord with my life and what comes natural to me. I am currently unemployed and am getting in shape before I apply to another possible job opportunity. My question is should I focus all my efforts on preparing for this job that allows me to happily serve Krsna with my life and trust that Krsna will provide? Or should I play it safe and just get any job so long as I am working? I am trying to follow what I believe in but I am constantly having doubts that I am just being irresponsible and living in a fantasy. I want to grow into the most responsible and devoted servant that I can be but I am wondering if maybe I am taking some of Krsna words too literally and I am actually behaving to my detriment. I just know that the career I am chasing is exactly what I need to help me with discipline and many other areas that I need much improvement in. So if I am being completely honest I know this is the best thing for me I am just worried that if it doesn't work out I won't be able to support myself. Which is more irresponsible? To risk financial security in an effort to grow spiritually or to risk spiritual growth in an attempt to be financially responsible. I know that even in an extreme situation such as homelessness Krsna will always be with me but I guess if I am being honest I am worried about what plan Krsna has for my life. Thank you for any advice.

Anthony

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • SB 11.17.47  If a brāhmaṇa cannot support himself through his regular duties and is thus suffering, he may adopt the occupation of a merchant and overcome his destitute condition by buying and selling material things. If he continues to suffer extreme poverty even as a merchant, then he may adopt the occupation of a kṣatriya, taking sword in hand. But he cannot in any circumstances become like a dog, accepting an ordinary master.
      SB 11.17.48  A king or other member of the royal order who cannot maintain himself by his normal occupation may act as a vaiśya, may live by hunting or may act as a brāhmaṇa by teaching others Vedic knowledge. But he may not under any circumstances adopt the profession of a śūdra.
      SB 11.17.49  A vaiśya, or mercantile man, who cannot maintain himself may adopt the occupation of a śūdra, and a śūdra who cannot find a master can engage in simple activities like making baskets and mats of straw. However, all members of society who have adopted inferior occupations in emergency situations must give up those substitute occupations when the difficulties have passed.
      THIS IS GIVEN IN SRIMAD BHAGWATAM.
      SB 11.17.47
      Śva-vṛttyā, or “a dog’s profession,” refers to the śūdras, who cannot live without accepting a master. A destitute brāhmaṇa who is suffering intolera…
  • I try to perform Bhakti yoga to the best of my ability. I believe I too am a Kshatriya and that is why I am trying to live my life in a way that will allow me to perform my duties and focus on God.

Hare Krsna

• Well Arjuna was a Kshetriya. That is his swadharma.  I don't know now.  You want to work and become a Karma Yogi to serve Lord. Right? 

You cannot live a lie or not I donno but u said u will be financially down if you don"t take up other job. In that situation taking up another job is not a bad option.

Money is important for keeping things going.  Until you get a job matching your skill set you can do whatever job comes to you.

I  think one can serve Lord thru any job.!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you do any job without expecting much and do sincerely without having pride of ownership or doership. It becomes Nishkaam karma yoga and Lord is pleased with it any job if u do like this.

It is upto you anyways. Hare Krishna..!!!

• Arjuna did not become a warrior just so he could have money to eat. He did it as selfless service. To serve God and protect all living creatures. If our work didn't matter then Krsna would not have told Arjuna to fight. We all have our own path and duty that resonates with who we are. Mine is the military arts. It is not just something I want it is who I am. I can not be anybody else or I will be living a lie. Our life's work is how we serve God. This is how I get back to Godhead. Arjuna could not have been anything else and neither can I. Thank you for your reply.

Hare Krsna

• well if you're interested to join military then you should try for it if it's your natural inclination, & maybe at same time keep an eye on other options too - maybe you can set time limit - like 3 months or 6 months or whatever ( u know best ) --  that if you're not able to join within that time then join elsewhere 

money is important & so is satisfaction of the heart. also there are other similar jobs like police, firefighting (of course i'm not expert enough to tell you). you have to keep trying one thing after another

if you just play safe then you may regret it later - you can take risks within a time limit. 

Bg 3.10 — In the beginning of creation, the Lord of all creatures sent forth generations of men and demigods, along with sacrifices for Viṣṇu, and blessed them by saying, “Be thou happy by this yajña [sacrifice] because its performance will bestow upon you everything desirable for living happily and achieving liberation.”

Bg 3.11  The demigods, being pleased by sacrifices, will also please you, and thus, by cooperation between men and demigods, prosperity will reign for all.
    Bg 3.12 — In charge of the various necessities of life, the demigods, being satisfied by the performance of yajña [sacrifice], will supply all necessities to you. But he who enjoys such gifts without offering them to the demigods in return is certainly a thief.

Bg 9.22 — Those who always worship Me with exclusive devotion, meditating on My transcendental form – to them I carry what they lack, and I preserve what they have.

if the intention is good & actions are skillful, it leads to right action & success.

if actions are skillful but intention is not correct, it leads to mistakes. - words of a great person. 

to risk finances for spiritual growth is not such a bad idea. but the whole thing must be under the guidance of an experienced devotee with whom you can share your heart completely - if you pray to the Lord, he will make arrangements

i am also in a similar situation, although i have some financial stability. i have also faced similar dilemnas. i feel if you're sincere Lord helps you. 

here's an example of a person who's integrated their spiritual & material life quite nicely : https://successfulvaisnavas.com/21-coach-nick-pereira/

please listen fully - he shared some nice points

Bg 3.10
    The material creation by the Lord of creatures (Viṣṇu) is a chance offered to the conditioned souls to come back home – back to Godhead. All living e…
    • In Bhagavad Gita the Lord says that it is better for one to perform his own occupation imperfectly rather than to perform another's occupation perfectly.

श्रेयान्स्वधर्मो विगुणः परधर्मात्स्वनुष्ठितात्।

स्वधर्मे निधनं श्रेयः परधर्मो भयावहः।।3.35।।

This verse is being told to Arjuna by Sri Krishna --situation is when Arjuna wanted to take up Sanyasa and renounce everything and stop fighting. 

If Arjuna wants to withdraw from the war, out of cowardliness/affection towards friends and relatives, what will be the fate of the war. Kauravas will win the war within no time.

So Sri Krishna reminded Arjuna his duty as a kshetriyA. Either he should win the war or die in the war discharging his duty as a kshetriyA.

He cannot run away from his duty of a Kshetriya. 

How is this stanza related to you?

'' I feel that I belong in the military''.

This is your choice not you Swadharma. You want to work as a military official. It is your liking. Right?

All that education ( academics) tell me why did you do? I guess everyone does mundane studies only for one reason.. that is  to earn a living. feed one's tummy. Right? Or you studied only to become some military official?

then why is there so much problem? 

You are a soul and what is the soul's main destination? Is it to get military job and make a comfortable stay on planet earth?

or go back to Godhead?

Why are you sent to this planet? 

Becoz you had some unfinished karma left out.. you have to do it go back to Godhead Right?

We are not here for getting  a good job., having a good successful career and make a great comfortable living. We came to complete our unfinished karma with people and places and go back to Godhead desireless.

IN MY OPINION-- 

Don't get attached to the job you do.  Take up whatever job comes to you.  Ultimately all work we do is only to earn a 2 meal. 

But our real job is something different.. Our job is to find our the way back Home to Godhead. 

You may do lower end job or demotivating job..but that is not ur goal right .. you do only for feeding your tummy. 

Until you get a job matching your skill set you can do whatever job comes to you.

You can make every job entertaining and motivating .....if you are in Krishna Consciousness.  Job satisfaction and dignity of labor doesn't matter much..

Any necessary work that pays an honest wage carries its own honor and dignity.-- as said by some great person. donno name now heehhehe. cheer up!!!!

Again it is my opinion. It is upto your ur choice.

How is military life so good to serve Lord? I donno.

No job is called low end job.. being jobless is most low end job.

Moreover we are not here for doing jobs. We are here to maintain our tummy ( 2 meal) and finish off our unfinished karma and go back to Godhead. Our ultimate goal is different. ( Krishna is our ultimate goal) not some job.

https://www.vedabase.com/en/sb/3/4/11

Read the purport.

'Everyone is at liberty to desire as he likes, but the desire is fulfilled by the Supreme Lord. Everyone is independent to think or desire, but the fulfillment of one’s desire depends on the supreme will. This law is expressed as “Man proposes, God disposes.” 

You plan to get a military job but God's plan for you maybe different.  ~smiles~  

Take life as it comes.

Hare Krishna.

SB 3.4.11
      Uddhava is one of the eternal associates of the Lord, and a plenary portion of Uddhava was one of the eight Vasus in the days of yore. The eight Vasu…
This reply was deleted.