Hare Krsna,

PAMHO,

All glories to Srila Prabhupada,

I have a small question that I could not decipher in the sloka 24 of 2nd chapter of Bhagavad Gita As It Is.

The translation goes like this:

"This individual soul is unbreakable and insoluble, and can be neither burned nor dried. He is everlasting, present everywhere, unchangeable, immovable and eternally the same".

I understood the aspects of the soul, like,everlasting, present everywhere, unchangeable and eternally the same. But I am facing a difficulty in understanding that how the soul is immovable. If we take it in literal sense, then like I am within this body. And hence when the body moves, I (the soul) also move.

So I tried to relate immovable to "sthir", or, stable in its state.

It would be really beneficial for me if you could let me know if my this understanding is correct. If not, then please let me know the correct understanding of the soul's characterestic of being immovable.

Haribol!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Soul is not moving in the body, soul is making the body move from place A to place B. That way, body is moving because of soul, soul is not moving. WHen it is time for soul to leave the body, then the subtle body, comprising mind, intelligence and false ego moves the soul from one body to the next. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krsna Mata ji,

PAMHO,

Thanks for the explanation. It really helps in understanding.

Thanks

Haribol!

• This reply was deleted.
    • This reply was deleted.
      • Hare Krsna Prabhu ji,

PAMHO,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It really helps in understanding.

Thanks

Haribol!

• Hare Krishna,

"I understood the aspects of the soul, like,everlasting, present everywhere, unchangeable and eternally the same. But I am facing a difficulty in understanding that how the soul is immovable. If we take it in literal sense, then like I am within this body. And hence when the body moves, I (the soul) also move."

This understanding is wrong.

You are the soul- True

you are residing in the body- True

The body is moves- soul is moving?- Not true.

Body is dead- the soul moves out of the body and takes up another shareerah or body. 

The soul is immobile in the sense. Soul needs some driver.

If you see the chariot example 

Sri Krishna is the charioteer.  The soul is the Arjuna sitting in the ratha!

Ratha is the body.

The person sitting in the body the soul cannot move unless Krishna drives the chariot.

You are moving the body?  You cannot move your finger also with your own will. 

It is stated here that the Supersoul, who is always with the individual soul, is the representation of the Supreme Lord. He is not an ordinary living entity. Because the monist philosophers take the knower of the body to be one, they think that there is no difference between the Supersoul and the individual soul. To clarify this, the Lord says that He is the representation of Paramatma in every body. He is different from the individual soul; He is parah, transcendental. The individual soul enjoys the activities of a particular field, but the Supersoul is present not as finite enjoyer nor as one taking part in bodily activities, but as the witness, overseer, permitter and supreme enjoyer. His name is Paramatma, not atma, and He is transcendental. It is distinctly clear that the atma and Paramatma are different. The Supersoul, the Paramatma, has legs and hands everywhere, but the individual soul does not. And because He is the Supreme Lord, He is present within to sanction the individual soul's desiring material enjoyment. Without the sanction of the Supreme Soul, the individual soul cannot do anything. The individual is bhakta or the sustained, and He is bhukta or the maintainer. There are innumerable living entities, and He is staying in them as a friend. ( BG as it is chapt. 13.23 purport).

So understand one thing that soul is immobile means ( NOT THAT IT IS CANNOT MOVE FROM PLACE TO PLACE OR COVER SOME DISTANCE ETC.)

SOUL IS RENDERED INACTIVE AND INERT IF THE SUPERSOUL DOESN't power it.

THE SOUL ITSELF CANNOT DO ANYTHING ON ITS OWN.  IT NEEDS GUIDANCE AND SACTION OF SUPERSOUL.

LORD AS PARMATMA SITTING NEXT TO SOUL LIKE A FRIEND GUIDES IT.

Observe the picture.Parable of Chariot-Katha Upanishad: Body/Mind/Intelligence/Soul - YouTube

If Krishna is not the chaiorteer the soul sitting in the chariot cannot reach any destination.

Soul is inert and rendered immobile has no power on its own to move also.

Hare Krishna

• Hare Krsna Mata ji,

PAMHO,

Thanks

Haribol!

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

I tried to relate immovable to "sthir", or, stable in its state.

Great question. Yes, the above understanding is correct. The sanskrit word used is acalah. This is the opposite of Cancalah. Cancalah means flickering, or wavering or unsteady or unstable or volatile. Mind has been characterised as cancalah in Bhagavad Gita and nature of soul is the exact opposite of  that.  

So the understanding of soul being opposite of cancalah is that soul is stable, steady, unwavering, non-flickering non-volatile 

Hare Krsna

• Hare Krsna Prabhu ji,

PAMHO,

Thanks

Haribol!

This reply was deleted.