Offering of water to Tulasi Maharani!!!!

Hare Krishna!!!

Dandwat Pranam, PAMHO, AGTSP.

Can we offer water toTulasi Mahrani on Ekadashi days.

As we know that eating grains is prohibited and drinking water should be avoided for all the devotees on this day and Tulasi maharani is the greatest devotes of the Lord.

YAS

Sumeet

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna Mataji!!!

With continuation to the above discussion, just got some more info to share.

(7) Hari Bhakthi Vilasa  (7.353) says like this:

samkranty Adau ni Siddho’pi tulasyavacayah smrtau ; param zrI viznu bhaktastu dvadazyam eva nesyate   

“It is generally forbidden to pluck Tulasi on Sankranti, (Purnima, Amavasya, Dvadashi, Sunday) etc., according to the strict rules of the Smritis, but the  most important rule (according to Shrila Sanatana Goswami) which the Vaishnava devotees should certainly follow is to not pluck Tulasi leaves on Dvadashi.”

(8) Hari Bhakthi Vilasa  (7.354) says like this:

NA CHINDYAT TULASIM VIPRA DVADASYAM VAISNAVAH KVACIT

“Oh brahmanas, a Vaisnava never picks Tulasi leaves on Dvadashi, (the day after Ekadashi).”

(9) Hari Bhaktha Vilasa  (7.355) says like this quoting from Garuda Purana:

BHANUVARAM VINA DURVAM TULASIM DVADASIM VINA ; JIVITASYA AVINASAYA NA VICINVITA DHARMA VIT

“A scripturally learned and religious person, if he does not want to destroy his balance duration of life, he should not pluck Tulasi leaves on Dvadashi days and Durva grass on Sundays.”

(10) Hari Bhaktha Vilasa  (7.353) says like this quoting from Padma Purana as conversation between Lord Krishna and Shrimati Satyabhama:

DVADASYAM TULASI PATRAM DHATRI PATRAS CA KARTIKE ; LUNATI SA NARO GACCHET NIRAYAN ATI GARHITAN

“Any person, who picks Tulasi leaves on Dvadashi or  Amalaki leaves in the Kartika  month, falls into a grievously hellish planet to suffer.”

YAS

Sumeet

• Yes, Hare Krishna this rule that on dwadashi and Ekadashi days that tulasi maharani shouldn't be plucked on these days ( As these days Tulasi is also doing fasting/resting )  This is well known fact. Many of us do this perfectly.

But NOT to watering on Ekadashi days, lunar eclipse, solar eclipse ( which usually falls on Paurnami and Amavasya days)  and sundays and Sankranti day ..is not known to most of them.

And also coming to plucking leaves also We follow most of us Ekadashi, dwadashi but now Sundays' and these new additional days Sankranti, Pauranami and Amavasaya is to be added. ( which is new fact for me).

Thanks for sharing.

You may want to look this website also. 

https://www.stephen-knapp.com/tulasi_devi_handbook.htm

Hare Krishna.

The Tulasi Devi Handbook
      Guidelines and Instructions on the Importance, Care and Worship of the Tulasi Tree
  • Hare Krishna,

Tulsai maharani shouldn't be watered on Ekadashi days and Sundays.. I heard this from my grandma.. it is an old tradition, but now a days it is not so much in vogue.  Some staunch brahmins follow this rules .

But ya. If you want to strict go by rules then one shouldn't water on Ekadashi, Sundays, Lunar eclipse days and Sankranti day.  Why this rule is kept we don't know much.

I heard from my Grandma about this Sunday thing. as per that.. ( I don't have scriptural evidence)  As per that.. Sita mata ji once plucked tulasi manjari's in hurry for offering bhog on a Sunday and in that hurry as Duravasa muni was their guest, her Saree somehow got tangled in the tulasi manjari's and when she tried to pull that end of the saree some of the manjari's fell down to earth. Sita mata ji went hurriedly back to serve Lord and forgot to lift those manjaris' which fell off to the ground. The tulasi manjari's which fell off to the ground cried that this day is so cruel to us. we couldn't be offered to Lord. and cursed the day itself. that from this day onward no one should pluck on sunday or water tulsi plant. She is in sulky mood this day. If we go near her she might curse us to hell also. This is what I heard.

But you know I have done this mistake many times of water accidentally on sunday and plucking it also. All I can say is Sarvam Sri Krishnaarpanamasthu!!!! we do so many things in without knowledge with knowledge so many zillions of mistakes.  We are just mortals and to  Err is human nature. But as soon as we offer Tulasi ji to Govindam aadi purusham she is utmost pleased. We don't know paap karma punya karma.. sometimes we try doing good but bad karma also gets added to our bank balance unknowingly.

That is why Krishna said in BG..(18.48)

Every endeavor is covered by some sort of fault, just as fire is covered by smoke. Therefore one should not give up the work which is born of his nature, O son of Kunti, even if such work is full of fault.

we cannot sit now to find what karma is good and what karma we did are bad.. only way to rectify is surrendering ourself to Krishna. Say sorry. 

ONE  IMPORTANT THING I read while I was reading regarding this question which you asked prabhu..( Thanks for asking this question it opened my eyes to so many facts made me feel I am so fallen)  Have to imporve little by little.  No wonder why Srila Prabhupada said in Kaliyuga all are fallen. 

That Krishna can forgive 32 offenses if one does Dwadashi night jagaran and do tulasi maharani prayers ( the slokas which are provided) or do just hare krishna mahamantra jap on dwadashi night with jagaran 

this is one good thing I have come to know. I am hoping to rectify my mistake In this way.

Lunar Eclipse why Tulasi Maharani is not to be watered or Sankranti days  cause is--->> The solar or lunar eclipse days the time is considered impure .. deity and mandir is also closed at that time. Bad rays.. some impure condition. Even Sankranti day also when sun is moving from dakshinayan to uttarayan this movement phase of the sun it is impure stage. When the time periods is crossed whole temple deities are bathed .. cleaned and then we can water tulasi and pluck leaves also. but that perticular time and day is avoided.

See these are too stingent rules in Sri Vaishnavism. many temples south India are following such rituals even today. We can follow if we really want to . Otherwise .. Just say Sarvam Sri krishnaaarpanamasthu!!!!

"Hey Bhagwan, Paap punya hum log nahi jaante.. sab kuch tumko hi Arapan .. jo bhi paap hai punyaa hai sab karmon  ko aapko hi arpan karte hai. ab aap hi taran haar ho. jaise taise karke humko paap se aur punya ke karma bandhano ke mukt karo. This should be our prayer." ( Please Save us from all this bondage of  bad karma and good karam effects Oh Krishna I surrender unto your Lotus Feet).

As Lord said..  BG 18.66: Abandon all varieties of dharmas and simply surrender unto me alone. I shall liberate you from all sinful reactions; do not fear.

(सर्वधर्मान्परित्यज्य मामेकं शरणं व्रज |
    अहं त्वां सर्वपापेभ्यो मोक्षयिष्यामि मा शुच: || 66||)

All we know is surrender and offer all our karmas to Lord whether good karma or bad karam.. abandon all dharams. We cannot follow any dharama properly in Kaliyuga. but I am trying on my part to follow atleast few which I came to know. But I cannot follow all dharams perfectly to the fullest. All I know is I surrender unto your Lotus feet. Now please save me.

Hare Krishna.

• Hare Krishna Mataji,

Thanks for the detailed summarization, its an eye opener.

YAS

Sumeet

• E-Counselor

Hare KRsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

WHat I know is that we do not water Tulsi Maharani on Sundays and Dwadasis, because she rests both days.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krishna Mataji!!

Dandwat Pranam, PAMHO AGTSP.

Thanks for the response, however my understanding was that we cannot pluck Tulasi leaves on Dwadashi, but not to give her water is something new.

Also is there any shastric evedinec for Sunday's, as i'm not too sure.

YAS

Sumeet

This reply was deleted.