PAMHO.

As rathayatra is at our doorsteps, devotees are offering many things to lord Jagganth in temple. 

But sometime we see some devotees bragging over.

So my question is how do we control ourselves from this kind of thought.

What did previous sage said regarding this topic?

Your servent

CHMD JPS

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

When we see someone behaving in a manner not conducive to devotion, then I make a mental note to not behave in the same manner. Atleast, if its a senior, I think that when I reach that level, this is what I need to gaurd against. Else, I try to understand the intent behind the act. Sometimes, it appears like a brag. Maybe the person is only telling in front of his juniors, to inspire them also to do something. Lot of times, we dont know the intention of people. We see from our point of view. Even assuming that the intention is to brag, how does it matter. We should learn from them what is there to learn and also what is not to learn. There are all kinds of things everywhere. It is on us what we want to pick.

Even in case of pure bragging, please pray to lord for that person and mentally appreciate what that person is bragging about. He would have done something to brag na. Also pray that you are always humble and never proud of your service. 

Spiritually, it is always better to be dissatisfied. One should be materially satisfied and spiritually dissatisfied. That is the mark of progress.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Thank you very much matagi for your wonderful spiritual explanation. 

• What kind of bragging do devotees do? Can you give some examples 

• Hare Krishna,

1. Some devotees made donation for Rathayatra. So temple committee made a list of people who have donated. One devotee complained why his name is given in the bottom of the table not at the top.

2. Discussing or announcing among devotees that This year I have given such and such thing to lord.

Thank you

CHMD JPS

• Ha ha yes yes there is massive pride in the name. Really feel terrible seen our name at the bottom no matter how much we convince ourself....lol. but the second one is very very cheap and disgusting indeed. This thought just should not come but as they say every one is different. 

• Only Way to control pride of being a great devotee of Lord. or I am offering great things to lord. Becoz I am very great bhakta., this all can be avoided by simply thinking..  What is that you have which u brought to offer to Lord Is nothing. AS HE IS ONLY THE PROVIDER. 
    Think  yourself.. What is lacking for lord that he comes to you and seeks your food stuffs or offerings.  DO YOU THINK Lord is having some insufficiency? 

WHEN WHATEVER U HAVE IS ALL HIS PROPERTY WHY CLAIM IT BELONG TO YOU AND BRAG.???

Instead humbly say whatever u gave I am offering you. " Tera tujh ko arpan Kya laage hai mera?''  

Sages and gurus have said..only one thing.. When you pray to God atleast that time you should leave ur false ego.  False ego that all belongs to you.  Nothing in this world is urs.  Not even you body is  yours.  What is NOT yours how can you give to someone else? 

Its just like ur robbing God's property and making a  show that you are the owner and then offering it back to HIM.  SO Leave the false ego that you are this body and you are the owner of the things which you have. NOTHING IS YOURS.

WHEN YOU LEAVE YOUR PRIDE AND GO EMPTY HANDED TO GOD. THEN  YOU OFFER YOUR EGO UNTO HIS LOTUS FEET. THAT IS WHAT IS REAL OFFERING TO LORD. LORD DOESN"T NEED YOUR BUTTER, or FLOWERS OR FOOD STUFFS. 

ALL THAT HE NEEDS IS YOU ( SELF).

WHEN U HUMBLY GO TO LORD in this way.. he accepts even simple offering of a devotee such a flower, fruit or water or leaf  even these simply humble offerings become  a  great offering.

patram puspam phalam toyam
    yo me bhaktya prayacchati
    tad aham bhakty-upahrtam
    asnami prayatatmanah

Chatper 9. text 26 Translation.:  

If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit a water, I will accept it.

What was lacking in Nand maharaj's house he had 9 lakh cows and so much butter daily was extracted. Why would HE still go to gopikas' houses to eat butter? Do you think He was greedy for butter? Nahi.. It only shows He wants to accept the gopikas' devotion and wants to bless them by accepting their butter.

Tum kya de sakte ho us Laxmipati ko? All you can give is surrendering you ego at the lotus feet of Lord.

Hare Krishna...!!!

This reply was deleted.