E-Counselor

Observing Janmashtami at home

Hare Krishna Mataji🙏

Please accept my pranaams and humble obeisances...

Mataji I have never observed a Janmashtami fast ever in my life and this year I don't want to miss it. But I don't know what to eat and what to avoid. Mataji please guide me and clarify my doubts🙏

1) At what time should I start fasting?

2) Should fast be observed on 11th or 12th?

3) Does it have to be a nirjala vrata? What should I avoid or eat?

4) What is the fast breaking time?

Please help me Mataji🙏

Your servant

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna,

PAMHO.

For the benefit of everyone, I have pasted the question here and giving the answers here.

1) At what time should I start fasting? fasting begins from day break on 12th.

2) Should fast be observed on 11th or 12th? some people are doing on 11th and some on 12th. We follow the local ISKCON temple. For us, it is 12th.

3) Does it have to be a nirjala vrata? What should I avoid or eat? Ideally nirjal. Since you are doing for 1st time, you may find it difficult. So you could avoid grains and beans. The way ekadasi is done, that way this is also done. Fruits and dry fruits of all types are allowed. Milk, curd, honey allowed. Select vegetables allowed - aloo, capsicum, cauliflower allowed. 

4) What is the fast breaking time? Fast breaking time is actually midnight. We do arati at midnight and then break fast. 

Do as much Krishna related activities as you can. Chant, do kirtan, listen to lectures, prepare bhoga, decorate the altar, do abhishek, raed Krsna book, glorify Krsna, sing bhajans, remember Him from the core of your heart.....the works - this is janmashtami.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krsna mathaji...Thanks a million..!

Mathaji..at what time we offer bhoga and gifts to the lord..?Tmrw at midnight..? and we break our fast with what we offered ryt...?

Thank u..

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna,

PAMHO.

Sorry, I saw this now only. 

Gifts and offerings can be done whole day. Its our fast, not the lord's. 

We break fast with offered prasadam only. At the same time, we should be conscious that it is non grains. 

Next day grains can be taken. Ideally fast half day for Srila Prabhupada appearance and then feast after push[anjali at 12 noon.

Haribol,

YOur servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

This reply was deleted.