Hare Krsna,

Please accept my humble obesiences,

All glories to Srila Prabhupada,

Some time back I was diagnozed with Vitamin B12 and Omega 3 deficiency. The doctor suggested to take one out of 2 options, either be on medication, or, add non veg to your diet (I was vegetarian back then).

I took the option of non veg as, atleast, it was less worse than being dependent on medication. My mother is suffeered from depression in the past, and, its effects are still visible in her in the form of worries, especially for the immediate family.

Hence, taking above 2 situations into account. I had to be on a non - ideal diet (as it was told by doctor, and, if I don't follow it, which I have tried in the past, my mother's mental health gets effected because of worries for my health). Also, my lifestyle is also not ideal as I do not exercise as much is required by a common person.

Also my mother told me that the vegetarian sources of above nutrients require a physically active life in order to digest them properly.

So, in the coming 6 months, I have decided to lead a physically active life by incorporating regular exercise, and in order to prove to my parents that I can lead such a physically active life, after which, there are chances that they would let me give up non veg.

The issue is that in the coming 6 months I need to eat non veg, for which I have decided to limit it as much as possible.

It may appear that I am making excuse for eating non veg for taste of it, but literally, I am eating non veg only because of the nutrient deficiency in my body.

I just want suggestions as what should I do uptill the point that I am able to completely give up doing the sin of meat eating? I know whatever I would be doing in the coming months, I would need to repay back, because of karma. I accept the fact that we are in Kaliyuga, and, on top of that, my body is far from perfect because of deficiencies.

Please let me know what should I do in the coming few months?

Hare Krsna!

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna..

For your kind information, Elephant and Rhinoceres are one of the biggest animals on land and they are vegetarian.  There are many athelets and sports persons who are pure vegetarian, so it is a propoganda that vegetarians suffers from nutrition deficiency..  Consume Milk products for nutritions.  What further could be said in this regard.  Finally after all the guidence, choice is yours.

Keep Chanting,

Hare Krishna

• Hare Krsna Prabhu ji,

PAMHO,

All Glories to Srila Prabhupada,

Thanks a lot. Yes, these were some of the facts that I was thinking the moment the thought to leave non veg entered my mind, that if vegetarian diet can nourish big creatures like giraffe, elephants, or, even more bigger, the dinosaurs of the past, why would it be insuffecient to nourish a small human.

Nevertheless, I have given up all kinds of non veg, including egg, now, after having discussion with my parents, explaining them my views and facts provided by Smt. Gayatri Mata ji, and also the alternates available for non veg.

Thanks for your guidance. I would strive to live a sattvik life following the 4 principles and be dedicated to the devotional service to the Lord.

Hare Krsna!

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

THere is a saying - Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they are yours.

WHat can be said to you that you dont already know. You have made your choice. 

What we can request is - CHANT. Under all circumstances, chant Hare Krsna Mahamantra.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krsna Mata Ji, 

I know I am doing something that is wrong. But please don't say like this as it feels like the great devotees of Krsna are giving up on me. 

I understand that I have been asking a lot of questions one after another in many posts, and that's purely because I am in need of guidance, and I trust that devotees of Krsna will provide best possible guidance. 

And the thought of giving up on non veg came only after a few days of chanting, which clearly explains the power of mahamantra. And giving up non veg is also happening because of the power of mahamantra. 

I need guidance from devotees of Mahaprabhu. Please understand. 

Hare Krsna! 

• E-Counselor

Hare KRsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

There is no issue in asking as many questions as come to your mind. Not an issue at all. 

Nobody is giving up on you - you are devotee of Krsna, only He can give up on you and as you know, He never gives up, even on the most fallen. Thats why He appeared as Lord Chaitanya to deliver even the most fallen.

Regarding guidance, Gayatri mataji has provided all the help that is possible. Please try to follow alternate diet, with proper attentive chanting and the firm faith that Krsna will take care of you. There is nothing to fear. Worst case scenario also happens, its just one body you will give up, to get into a better, fitter body more conducive to devotion. And mercy can flow in this lifetime itself, making you fit now itself. Surrender and do not fear. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krsna Mata ji,

PAMHO,

Thanks a lot for supporting me in this situation. That day I was not in a good state emotionally because I wanted to give up non veg, but, because of misconceptions in my parent's mind, I had to eat it. I am blessed to be guided by the devotees of the Lord.

I have given up all kinds of non veg, including egg, now, after having discussion with my parents, explaining them my views and facts provided by Smt. Gayatri Mata ji, and also the alternates available for non veg.

Thanks a lot for support. I would strive to live a sattvik life following the 4 principles and be dedicated to the devotional service to the Lord.

Hare Krsna!

• E-Counselor

All Glories to You Prabhuji. I am certain the lord is pleased with your determination and He will make your path conducive.

Remember - obstacles on the spiritual path are merely to make us more resolute.

• Hare Krishna,

10858549680?profile=RESIZE_400x 

DAILY REQUIREMENT OF  B 12 IS 2.4 MICRO GRAM or 0.0024 milligram

VEGAN FOODS /PLANT BASED FOODS WHICH CONTAIN b12  WHICH CAN BE CONSUMED DAILY 

1. 8 ounces of yougurt ( curd) =226gms nearly of curd if you eat you can get 1.1 microgram of B12 (=0.0011miligram).  

2. some cereals are fortified with B12 ( Kellog's corn flakes) contains 1.5 micrograms of B12 (=0.0015 miligrams).

3.1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast contains 4 micrograms of  B12 

CAN YOU GET VITAMIN B12 ON A PLANT-BASED DIET? | Vaibhav Garg - You...

Please watch this vid. to understand more. No meat is needed for B12 prodcution. 

Bioavailability of vitamin B12 in cows' milk | British Journal of N...

Try eating organic foods instead.

Hare Krishna.

• Hare Krsna Mata ji,

PAMHO,

Thanks a lot for supporting me in this situation. The facts provided by you were of great help. I believe because of propaganda started by poultry / meat production industries, such content is not recommended by Google / Youtube. I also found out a documentary called 'What The Health', in which it states that WHO has marked processed meat as cancerous, and, it is as harmful as tobacco, but still American Cancer Institute promotes consumption of processed meat.

No wonder the scriptures are recommending sattvik life because of some GOOD REASON. 

Hence, I have given up all kinds of non veg, including egg, now, after having discussion with my parents, explaining them my views and facts provided by Smt. Gayatri Mata ji, and also the alternates available for non veg.

Thanks a lot for your guidance. I would strive to live a sattvik life following the 4 principles and be dedicated to the devotional service to the Lord.

Hare Krsna!

This reply was deleted.