Replies

• Volunteer

Hare Krsna,

Ekadasi literally means "the eleventh day."
    There are two Ekadasis in a month : on the eleventh day after the new moon, and on the eleventh day after the full moon. Of all vratas (vows of austerity), Visnu is most pleased with those who observe the Ekadasi vrata.
    Therefore anyone who does not observe the vrata and eats grains on Ekadasi is said to eat sin, for he disobeys the Lord's order and thus displeases Him.

Thus, although Ekadasi fasting is good for health, it should be undertaken principally for the sake of pleasing Krsna.
    To observe Ekadasi vrata and Dvadasi vrata means to please the Supreme Personality of Godhead.
    Those interested in advancing in Krsna consciousness must observe Ekadasi regularly.(SB 9.4.29)

All devotees must avoid the following foods on Ekadasi : grains (wheat, rice, etc.), dahl, peas, bean type vegetables, mustard seeds, sesame seeds (except on Sat-tila Ekadasi, when sesame [tila] seeds may be offered and eaten), derivatives of these foods (wheat flour, mustard oil, soya bean oil etc.), and food items containing these products.
    For instance, care should be taken in using powdered spices, which, if mixed with flour, should not be used on Ekadasi.
    Particularly, commercially prepared powdered asafatoeda (hing) is always mixed with flour and is not to be used on Ekadasi.
    If even a slight piece of grain is ingested, even accidentally, the Ekadasi fast is broken.

Some specific vegetables, almost all fruits, milk etc are allowed.

I hope this is clear now but if not, let us know.

Hari Bol,

• Thank you so much Jay Krishnan ji. You really answered my question with convincing fact.

Please, if can answer to my questions will be very much appreciated.

Once again, thanks for taking trouble for me.

HareKrishna.
This reply was deleted.