Law of karma - how it works?

Hare krishna!

I Believe in the law of karma,but one of my relatives say it is false....

He says,"we do karma according to our time,situation and place"..."we hindu kill small things b/c we didnt learn to kill large things like humans etc" she adds.

For example : you are sitting in a room and you find a bit insect which is harmful and you have the material means to kill it,so you will...if someone says anything bad to you,you will think bad about him....thinking is also a karma,so where is our mistake? when we speak/walk many bacteria's get killed,so the jain's wear a mask on their mouth,so they may not kill any living being...if ur head is filled with lice's,you will remove them and kill them,so where is our fault?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna!

These are the things I've heard in association with devotees over the years...

If you are a devotee in service to Sri Krsna, microbes that die in your body make advancement,

Any bugs you accidentally step-on make advancement,

If you kill a poisonous snake or bug in your locale, you are saving someone else from being hurt.

I recall that Shrila Prabhupada recommended that living-quarters and temples should be so clean, no bugs want to live there.

ys,rf

• Hare Krishna Rankin Prabhu!
      You provided very helpful information.
      Thank you for your clarification.
      Your servant,
      Amal
  • Finally,I got all my answers...Thank you everyone :)

• Hare Krishna Sagar Prabhu!

Many exalted devotees responded to your questions nicely. I would also like you to read the following link of ISKCON which will elaborately tell you about various types of karma e.g.,  (a) Karma: those which elevate, (b) Vikarma: those which degrade and (c) Akarma: those which create neither good nor bad reactions and thus lead to liberation.

Please browse the link: http://hinduism.iskcon.org/concepts/103.htm

Hope and pray for your uninterrupted advancement in the spiritual development. 

Hare Krishna!

• Still i am confused,Riding a car/bike are still a kind of karma...someone said we don't perform any actions the bodydoes and the soul watches them...than where is our fault? when we are not performing any kind of action while,we are seeing them? I understand Karma yoga,i can't can't say "i am going to cinema for you My lord" or "i am going to play with my friends for you" that is simple Sense Gratification..and for studies,i perform them but i don't care for results...But what about Crackers and fireworks of diwali? they cause harm to many organisms and plants...so does the car etc I mean to say,i understand karma-yoga but what about killing/harm which we cause unknowingly? how to curb it?

• I will try to answer your specific questions so that you can relate the law of karma better..

As long as you think that it is you(false-ego) who is doing an action, that means you are getting attached to it and therefore, the result will also get attached to you. 

Actions born of desire for material gain will make you addicted and therefore will pull your senses more towards sense objects. Always strive to perform actions of sacrifice(by helping other beings in whatever way you can). But this too will bind you. So, perform sacrifice, without any attachment to the results.

Watching a movie or playing with your friends will not harm you until it doesn't become a strong desire(addiction) caused by severe attachment to these material actions.

It is true that it is the Prakriti(your body) combined with its gunas(goodness, passion and ignorance) are performing the actions and the soul is not attached to the actions of Prakriti. If you are in this state of belief, then the actions and results will not affect you. But it is also important to know what are the actions that need to be performed and what kind of actions that need to be given up. Inaction is not possible because you will have to perform actions even to maintain your body. I think there was a link given about kind of actions and what actions to be performed and what shouldn't be performed. You can go through it.

There are thousands of organisms getting killed in your body every moment just for your survival. They are dying and new ones are taking birth. This is a continuous process. So, do not get attached to that. If you really feel that you are causing harm, then you can do whatever you can to reduce the harm. But don't get so attached to the action(by thinking that you are harming them). Remember, if you get attached, the results will bind you automatically.

Thanks,

Subash

• Prabhu, I think you are denying the very base on which Bhagavad Gita was built. The premise was to face own relatives, gurus, friends and others in the battle and Arjuna, forgetting his duty, became weak by heart. Even his gurus would have asked him to do his duty and wouldn't recommend him to go on defense. Since Krishna was his guru at that time, he too suggested the same. On the contrary if he didn't fight, he would have accrued sin. I hope you understand.

• Prabhu, then why did Krishna ask Arjuna to Fight? When Arjuna was not ready in Kurukshetra?

Arjuna was not ready to defend. He was okay to get killed by kauravas rather than fighting them. But The Supreme Lord reminded him of his duty and asked Arjuna to fight.

• Yes....And how can we break the bond of unavoidable karma? If you are going in car to a ISKCON temple,then car also releases harmful gas that affect micro-organisms and plants...So should we stop driving car?

• Once again,Thank you bro :)

This reply was deleted.