Hare Krishna

I am new to this platform and want to ask few questions:

How can i ask my friends to stop eating non veg? They will say we sit business partners or some other reasons. How can i convince them?

How can i convince my friends and relatives not to drink alchohol and smoke. They will drugs are also in allopathic medicine. 

I really want to wear rudraksh mala but in order to wear it you need to stop consuming onion and garlic. How can i convince my family that onion and garlic are not good? Any scientifc blog if you have which can help me.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's great that you are seeking advice on how to approach these topics with your friends and family. When discussing sensitive topics like dietary choices, alcohol and smoking, and cultural beliefs, it's essential to approach the conversation with respect and understanding. Here are some tips for addressing each of these concerns:

1. Asking friends to stop eating non-veg:
    • Be respectful: Understand that everyone has different dietary preferences and beliefs, and it's essential to respect their choices.
    • Share your perspective: Explain your reasons for choosing a vegetarian lifestyle, but avoid being preachy or judgmental.
    • Offer alternatives: Instead of asking them to stop entirely, suggest trying vegetarian meals together occasionally. Showcase delicious vegetarian dishes to pique their interest.
    • Educate with facts: Share information about the environmental, health, or ethical benefits of reducing meat consumption. Provide scientific studies if available.
    1. Convincing friends and relatives not to drink alcohol and smoke:
    • Empathize with their choices: Acknowledge that alcohol and smoking may be an established part of their lifestyle but express your concern for their well-being.
    • Communicate health risks: Share information on the health risks associated with excessive alcohol consumption and smoking, backed by reputable sources and studies.
    • Lead by example: Show how your own choices have positively impacted your life and well-being.
    • Suggest healthier alternatives: Encourage engaging in other activities like sports, hobbies, or social events that don't involve alcohol or smoking.
    1. Convince your family about the benefits of wearing a Rudraksha mala and avoiding onion and garlic:
    • Educate about spiritual beliefs: Explain the significance of the Rudraksha mala in spiritual practices and its potential benefits, as per your beliefs.
    • Share alternative food options: If you wish to avoid onion and garlic for spiritual reasons, offer nutritious substitutes for these ingredients in your meals.
    • Provide scientific perspective: Look for scientific articles or blogs that discuss the potential effects of certain foods on the body and how they align with spiritual beliefs. Share these sources with your family.

Regarding the belief that smoking hookah is the best:

• Respect their perspective: Acknowledge their viewpoint while also expressing your concerns about smoking and its impact on health.
    • Discuss health risks: Inform them about the potential health risks associated with smoking hookah, which can be harmful to the respiratory system and overall well-being.
    • Suggest alternatives: Propose engaging in enjoyable activities that do not involve smoking hookah, such as playing games, going for outings, or exploring new hobbies.

Remember, convincing others to change their behaviors or beliefs is challenging and may take time. Be patient, understanding, and compassionate throughout the process. Let them know that you are there to support them, regardless of their choices.

Best Of Hookah - Inhale thin air, Exhale thick smoke.
    Best of hookah's useful reviews and guides will provide you crystal clear path and options to choose your best hookah and its accessories to have a g…
  • Hare krishan 

Okay I understand your situation you should go slowly stop this thing but first step to Start it is by visiting the community events and try to daily go to ISKCON temple and sit with the group of people and make your social group so you can get inspire by them and be like them after that try to bring your family there.

• E-Counselor

Hare KRsna Anuj Prabhu,

PAMHO.

Firstly, sorry for delay in replying.

We need to understand one thing - Krsna Consiousness is for US to follow. I tis very natural that when one comes to Krsna Consciousness as a new devotee, we try that the world around us should see and appreciate the gem we found and adopt it alongwith us. Gradaully, we get beaten by our friends and family so much that in some cases, the (komal) faith itself gets shaken, then we setlle to a lot less energetic Krsna Consiousness. 

Real maturity is to understand that to change anyone around us, we need to change ourselves first. Have we reached a stage where we do not get irritated by what would normally irritate us? Whether our temperament has improved? Have we become calmer?

Please answer the above for yourself. I already know what your answer will be.

The next stage is to realise that Krsna Consciousness is more internal than external. Once we realise this, we start to change ourselves/ cultivate Krsna Consciousness from our heart and see the change of heart. 

In my opinion, you should start from home. To convince your family, you stop having onion and garlic. Develop a genuine distaste for it.  When your family sees that you really dont like them, they wil stop serving them to you. Maybe they will adopt your means, maybe not. Dont ever force family. Accept them as they are. Learn to stay in peaceful co existence where they are free to follow their conviction and you are free to follow yours. Then only they will realise that this person has changed - he is not trying to impose his views and beliefs on us, he is peaceful and happy in his choice of way of life. then only they will pay attention to your ways and try to adopt. If they dont, just too bad. You have found your peace.

Dont know the rules of rudraksh mala. For tulsi mala, if we wear around our neck, then onion, garlic, non veg, alcohol should not cross the neck anymore.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Volunteer

Best way to convince others is by example. 

Are you chanting your minimum set rounds, at the very least 16 everyday?

Are you observing the 4 regulated principles?

Chanting the Holy Names, Mahamantra is of utmost importance. A million times more important than anything else.

4 regulative priciples help us stay on the path.

Chanting Hari Naam will cure every disease. Including this disease of material attachment.

Can you encourage your friends to Chant 1 round of Hare Krishna Mahamantra? If you cannot, can you at least have them chant Hare Krishna Mahamantra once? As soon as they get up.

Even if they cannot do that, have them chan "Jai Sri Krishna" or "Jai Sri Rama" 

Doing this every dat will go on clensing them and automatically they will by themselves feel like giving up bad and sinful habits.

Sometimes they may just throw up if they eat meat and Lord helps in making them give up.

Just wear them anyway. Do your best to convince your family about onion and garlic. If they dont listen you cannot do anything about it.

Just keep chanting and be patient and one day lord will change their mind.

https://www.salagram.net/Onions-Garlic-in-relation2Vaishnavism.html

Onions & Garlic in relation to Vaishnavism
    • Hare Krishna

I only chant 4 rounds in a day. Well, i hate non veg, alchohol and all such anti social elements.

• Hare Krishna,

I found this video present by ISKCON DESIRE TREE very convincing. Pls. go thru the entire video. Really enlightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spPZMB_FFG8

We all know other substances alchoal, drugs and non veg how they are dertimental in progress of bhakti. But onion garlic and its side effects on the consciouness is explained beautifully by Amerendra das prabhu ji. It is most convincing video I personally felt and It covers all those scientific evidence, Medical reference.. Scriptural references and much more.
    Pls. take time to go thru it entirely.

Hare Krishna.

This reply was deleted.