Is Mirabhai in Madhurya Rasa?

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.Hare KrishnaIs Mirabhai in Madhurya rasa? She always viewed Krishna as lover.With that being said, she must be in Vrindavan not Dwarka right?Your servantBhakta David

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Please see below for phone number and addresses of a couple places where you can get this book.

Book: Meera Charit
    Author: Kuwari Ranawat
    Language: Hindi
    Price: 125 Rs
    Publisher: Mrityunjaya Singh Sisodiya
    Description: This book is a biography of Meerabai and the author herself is a daughter in law in Meera's lineage. She is related to both Meera's family and Bhojraj's (Meera's husband) family. In this book very intimate leelas of Meera is described of which people are not aware nor there is any possibility of getting that intimate information elsewhere. 

Distributor:
    OmPrakash, Mumbai: Phone 24970736/37
    Bhartiya GramudIyog Vastra bhandar, Mumbai: Phone 2013821
    Khandelwal and sons, Vrindavan: Phone (0565) 442100/443101

• Hare Krishna!! Radhe Radhe!!

Thank you to everyone who has responded.
    There is nothing more glorious than the glories of a pure Vaishnava.

Jaya Sri Krishna
  • Yes, Mirabai is in Madhur rasa. Read the below book which is in Hindi and your life will change for sure.

Book: Meera Charit
    Description: This book is a biography of Meerabai and the author herself is a daughter in law in Meera's lineage. She is related to both Meera's family and Bhojraj's (Meera's husband) family. In this book very intimate leelas of Meera is described of which people are not aware nor there is any possibility of getting that intimate information elsewhere.
    Distributor:
    Bhartiya GramudIyog Vastra bhandar, Mumbai: Phone 2013821

There are 3 categories of Madhur rasa

1) Saadharani Rati - In this you love Krishna ONLY for your OWN happiness (swa sukh) for e.g. prem of Kubjaa. This is lowest in Madhurya bhava and has no entry (not qualified) in Krishna's Maha raas.

2) Samanjasaa Rati - In this you love Krishna for your own happiness as well as for Krishna's happiness for e.g. prem of dwarika's patrani such as Rukmani, Jambwanti etc. This is better than Saadharani Rati but has no entry (not qualified) in Krishna's Maha raas.

3) Samarthaa Rati - In this you love Krishna ONLY and ONLY for Krishna's happiness (tat sukhe sukhitvam) for e.g. prem of gopi such as Lalita, Vishakha etc. It is also called Nishkaam prem. This is the topmost category a soul (Jiva) can aspire for or can reach based on his guru. Only Samarthaa Rati category devotees have entrance to Krishna's Maha raas. In Srimad Bhagvatam (10-31-19), the last shloka (yat te sujaat charanamburuham staneshu...) of Gopi Geet depicts this and I consider it to be the crest jewel of all 18,000 shlokas of Srimad Bhagavatam. To get some idea here goes the story...

Krishna's wives in Dwarika were curious as to who Radha/Gopi was that our lord chants her name even in sleep. Why does he always remember them and not us? We are his great devotees as well as wives. Krishna realized that his wives have developed arrogance so he decided to bring Gopi's nishkamm prem to light and teach them what true devotion/love means. One day Krishna enacted himself as very ill with severe headache. All his wives were in service but the illness does not go. Narad muni came in and was amused to hear that lord was not well. So he asked Krishna "Since this illness is your creation, only you can provide the solution as to how it can be cured?" Krishna replied that any devotee who gives his/her foot dust and I apply that to my forehead, this headache will go. Narad thinks even I am his devotee but then realizes that I do not want to meddle in to this as he once gave me a monkey face and I became an object of ridicule. Naradji asked his wives that you all are his devotees so give your foot dust. Krishna's wives scolded Naradji that we do not want to go to hell by having our lord/husband touch and apply our foot dust on his forehead. Naradji asked everywhere in Dwarika but no one was willing to give foot dust. Ultimately Narad came back and asked Krishna "You only tell me where I can get the foot dust of your devotee to which Krishna replied "go to Braj". Naradji went to Braj and told the Gopis, who were feeling intense separation from Krishna, the whole story. Immediately all gopi replied "Naradji quickly take our foot dust and apply to Kishna's fore head". Naradji asked Gopis "Do you understand what you are doing?". Gopis said we can think about it later first do what we are saying. Our beloved is in pain so relieve him quickly with our foot dust. We know we'll go to hell and we are ready for it but atleast our beloved will be relieved. This is Nishkamm prem of Gopis whose foot dust is craved by Brhma, shankar, Udhav as well.

• hare krishna

pls help me..i want to know scriptural references that mira bai is madhavi in previous birth..pls help me out

• Book: Meera Charit

Description: This book is a biography of Meerabai and the author herself is a daughter in law in Meera's lineage. She is related to both Meera's family and Bhojraj's (Meera's husband) family. In this book very intimate leelas of Meera is described of which people are not  aware nor there is any possibility of getting that intimate information elsewhere. 

Distributor:

Bhartiya GramudIyog Vastra bhandar, Mumbai: Phone  2013821

• Hari bol,

Rashmi ji i would like to add, there are so many poetry and padas she has written.. one of which comes to my mind is "raana bichhaye shool, maako laage phool" not exactly like this but the meaning is that once raana (brother -inlaw who was against her) put arrows under her bed, but when she lied down on it, she felt like they were rose petals, she felt like she was sleeping on flower petals. That is how Krishna made it for her. So that is how much HE loved her.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna PRabhuji,

PAMHO.

I am sorry, my purpose is not to argue, but to understand and to bring out the facts as I understand them. Pls take it in that spirit.

If you study the life of Mirabai, you cannot reach any other conclusion but that she is a pure pure unalloyed devotee of the lord. The lord arranged for her marraige to a prince, who understood her devotion and vowed never to touch her and fulfilled that vow all his life. He never even remarried, when kings at that time had multiple wives as a routine. Her devotion made him also a devotee. After his demise, his half brother became the next Rana and there are evidences that he sent Halahal poison for her to drink, saying its prasadam. She actually drank it and nothing happened to her. Hearing this the Rana got so angry that he called the royal physician (Raaj vaidh) and forced him to drink from the same cup (2-3 drops that were left) and the physician immediately died on the spot. The story further goes that both the drinking from the cup of poison was witnessed by the Rana's sister - Udhabai. She repented in her heart and arranged for the physician's family to take his body to Mirabai. When Mirabai learnt that the physician was forced to drink from the same cup of poison and he died, she was so repentent that she prayed to the lord that it would have been better that she would have died. She cried and prayed and sang so pitieously that the lord granted back the life of the physician.

There was another instance when the same Rana sent two cobras to Mirabai in a box saying they are Shaligram Shila. Mirabai laughed when the bag was opened and cobras came out. She had no fear when one cobra circled her neck like a garland and was simply taking the name of her Giridhar Gopal. That snake was actually converted into a garland and the other snake got converted into a Shaligram. She had no animosity in her heart towards the Rana also.

If this is mixed devotion prabhu, what is pure devotion? If this is mixed devotion, then I am ok with getting one fraction of the bhakti that she had.

In my humble opinion, it is an offence to belittle a pure devotee like Mirabai. Pure love knows no sampradaya, there is no philosophy behind pure love, it is simply love.

Pls forgive me prabhuji, I do not intend to cross question you. I have the utmost respect and regard for Srila PRabhupada and our gaudiya vaishnava sampradaya. I also respect pure devotees like Mirabai.

Haribol,

YOur insignificant servant.

• Hare Krishna Mataji 

PAMHO 

Yes these are the facts Mera Bhai was a great devotee we all are nothing in front of her zero out of hundred not event that -100 out of 100 

• Hari Bol, Hari Bol, touching my ears I apologize for reading this where Meerabai the dearest devotee, dearest gopi, true bhakta, fearless princess is said to be a psuedo-devotee. Absolute rubbish. Talking about her itself is like.. i mean to say there are no words. I would like to completely disregard whatever is written in this thread, as I have utmost respect for her.

Meerabai is highly respected in all Sampradays and all sampradays have unparalleled bhakti. No sampraday is big enough or great enough to disregard a great devotee. A devotee is a devotee and should be respected equally by every sampraday.

Her bhajans, her bhaav, her love for her beloved.. for which she left her life of princess is unbeatable, tell me how many have done something similar to that. or in fact Tell me how many women have done something similar to that.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

With utmost respect to our gaudiya vaishnava sampradaya and what you have mentioned about rejecting Mirabai as not a pure devotee of the lord, when I came into ISKCON first, I had also inquired about Mirabai and being a Rajasthani, naturally I am very influenced by her bhakti. What I was told was that she is not in parampara, she was more of a freak and there is no shastric backing to her appearance and disappearance. Therefore the devotees of ISKCON do not follow Mirabai. We encourage following a parampara or school of bhakti and appraching bhakti in a systematic manner.

In fact, I have read from the morning walk talks of Srila Prabhupada where in he has mentioned that Mirabai was a contemporary of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and she acknowledged that Mahaprabhu is Krsna's avatar and has in fact written a bhajan on the fact, that as Krsna, you came in dark color, as Mahaprabhu, you came in golden color, what have you substituted the flute for...?

Regarding Jiva Goswami, it is very famous taht JIva Goswami refused to meet Mirabai in Vrindavan saying that he doesnt meet women. When Mirabai commented that who is this other man in Vrindavan, I am aware of only one and this reached Jiva Goswami, he was humbled and promptly came out of his ashram and paid obeisances to Mirabai. It was a beautiful meeting of two devotees of the lord. I am quoting the biography I had read which I had mentioned in my earlier post. 

Having said that, prabhuji, we also know that gaudiya vaishnavism in not the only path. Krsna has Himself said that there are 4 sampradayas - through Brahma, Narada, 4 Kumaras or Lakshmi. Krsna accepts Mirabai as a pure devotee and therefore she merged into the deity at Dwarka. That deity is still visible with the saree jutting out in Udaipur (I think, my parents have seen).

Let us pay obeisances to a pure devotee of the lord, certified by the lord.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

This reply was deleted.