Replies

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Prabhuji. Pamho. Agtsp

Bhagavad Gita is both shruti and smriti . Shruti means which is heard and smriti means which is remembered.

Gita is shruti because it was directly spoken to Arjuna in the battlefield of Kurukshetra by Lord Krishna himself. From the below conversation between Sanjaya and Dhananjaya we find that Dhananjaya was clearly able to see the live streaming from the battlefield of Kurukshetra.

Beginning conversation of Gita

BG 1.1: Dhṛtarāṣṭra said: O Sañjaya, after my sons and the sons of Pāṇḍu assembled in the place of pilgrimage at Kurukṣetra, desiring to fight, what did they do?

BG 1.2: Sañjaya said: O King, after looking over the army arranged in military formation by the sons of Pāṇḍu, King Duryodhana went to his teacher and spoke the following words.

Ending conversation of Gita

BG 18.74: Sañjaya said: Thus have I heard the conversation of two great souls, Kṛṣṇa and Arjuna. And so wonderful is that message that my hair is standing on end.

BG 18.75: By the mercy of Vyāsa, I have heard these most confidential talks directly from the master of all mysticism, Kṛṣṇa, who was speaking personally to Arjuna.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bhagavad Gita is smriti because it is put under Mahabharata which is History. History is happened in the past and then remembered and then it is written down by Vyasa.

evam va are ’sya mahato bhutasya nihsvasitam etad yad rg-vedo yajur-vedah sama-vedo ’tharvangirasa itihasah puranam

Thus indeed the breath of this Supreme Being constitutes the Rg Veda, Yajur Veda, Sama Veda, Atharvangirasa Veda, Itihasa, and Purana” [Brhad-aranyaka Up. 2.4.10].

yas,

• Hare Krishna Prabhu ji..

Thank you very much for your time and wisdom to have my doubts clear over this matter prabhuji..

But i would like to clarify another doubt that is arising in my mind :

Are statements spoken by the incarnations of Krishna(the ten avataras,vyasa avatara,Chaitanya Mahaprabhu) also comes under shruti?

This reply was deleted.