How to study scriptures

Haribol,

Pamho, AgtSp

As a new aspiring devotee I wandered how best to study scriptures so one can a) memorise verses and purports and b) practically execute?

Its very well reading the scriptures i.e. BG and SB and all other Srila Prabhupada books but how can one remember and apply to daily live? slowly and surely of course, patience i appreciate is key

I have such a bad memory but hopefully with time and effort Krishna will provide his mercy for me to remember.

Your thoughts and recommendations would be most appreciated.

Ys

Dee

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A head set, head phoes take notes listen to the story telling of the bhaktees.good luc
  • Volunteer

regarding memorizing the verses, I heard a very strange idea from a devotee. What he does is, he reads out one verse every day loud and records it in his cell phone and keeps it as the ring tone. Every time he gets a call, he tries to recollect the verse and repeat it along with it and does not lift the call until the verse is read completely.  Every day we may get atleast 10-15 calls and for sure you will memorize the verse.

Having said that, know for sure that it is just not possible to remember all the 700 verses of BG and 18000 verses of SB for us the products of Kaliyuga and nor is it expected of us. There are some important verses in BG and SB which you can try and memorize. I think there is a book called 108 important verses from BG.

• haribol

Pamho, AgtSp

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your practical recommendations

ys

dipak

• Haribol Prabhu,

The best tip for remembering is repetition, that is if you want to learn verses. There are many ways by which we can enhance our memory, but I don't know how far you want to go with it. 

One thing is to take one book. I recommend BG As It Is, if you want to study seriously. Read a number of pages daily without fail, and possibly take notes or highlight interesting parts of your reading.

Re 'execution', SP explains details of applying KC in our lives. If you want further guidance you could contact your local temple (if it is possible). However, the main execution is by chanting Hare Krishna Maha Mantra daily with a fixed number of rounds (1, 2, 4, 8, 16 or more). In that way your advancement it is practically manifested.

Ys, Iksd

• hare krishna Iksd,

Pamho, AgtSp

Thank you for taking time to reply and for your suggestions

This is a great idea and goes hand in hand with what the others are saying:-

One thing is to take one book. I recommend BG As It Is, if you want to study seriously. Read a number of pages daily without fail, and possibly take notes or highlight interesting parts of your reading.

Your response is most appreciated

Ys

Dipak

• Volunteer

my humble obeisances dear Devotees,

Thank You dear Inci Mutlu Mataji for Your nice advices! (Your name is "Mutlu", it is in Turkish which means "Happy"?)

Also Dipak Prabhu, along with reading Sastras we need confirmation from Sadhu and Guru. Because of that we need association of Devotees and intensive hearing of lectures.

For example, HH Bhakti Vidya Purna Swami Maharaj is very expert in giving classes in Gurukula and it is very interesting to read Books with him i mean by hearing his lectures.

http://audio.iskcondesiretree.info/index.php?q=f&f=%2F02_-_ISKC...

Your servant,

• Hare Krsna. Pamho. Agtsp.
      Although I don't know very much about the learning of verses but for studying scriptures first of all you have to make a separate notebook. Read one book at a time and make it regular to read it completely. Write down the verse and it's translation. Read the purport and about 2 times. After that write the content you read , in your words. Now mark the examples in the purport if provided. Don't add your own speculation but you can add your experience happened with you related to that verse if you've. Verify your study with your facilitator or any senior devotee and ask doubts if you have any with him.
      I think it would make some change if it did. Sorry if I had made something wrong.
      Hare Krsna.
    • Dear Bhaktin Maral,

Please accept my humble obeisances,

All Glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Yes, that is correct. My name is inci(meaning pearl in Turkish), surname is Mutlu (meaning happy in Turkish), the other surname is milano(my husbands surname). I live in Italy.

Thank you for your help and support.

Your servant,

inci

• Hare Krishna Bhaktin Maral,

Please accept my humble obesiances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Wow!! I feel most fortunate to be receiving such wonderful advice from Mutlu Mataji and from you Bhaktin Maral, Krishna is most merciful indeed that he is sending you both to guide my studies so nicely. Thank you.

vancha- kalpa- tarubhyas ca krpa- sindhubhya eva ca
                                                   patitanam pavanebhyo vaisnavebhyo namo namah

Yes definately agree with you about receiving confirmation from Sadhu and Guru regarding what we understand from scriptures is indeed correct. Association is indeed most vital it keeps us fresh and hunger to learn and hear more always.

Thank you for the links to HH Bhakti Vidya Purna Swami Maharaj where he discusses B.G. in more detail.

Most greatful to all you devotees for your guidance and compassion.

Hari Haribol

your servant,

dee

• Hare Krishna,

Please accept my humble obesiances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

I take notes nicely. I make sketches. I have notebooks. After I read one verse or sveral, I take notes of the parts which is very interesting for me. Like little summaries. In that way, I don't forget what I read and when I have to preach I look at that notebooks and remember where this subject was, so that I can quote.

This reply was deleted.