Help me understand it.

Hare Krishna

Here is a quote from Vishnu Purana (5.33.46)

"yo harih sa sivah saksad yah sivah sa svayam harih
ye tayor bhedamati sthan narakaya bhave nnarah "

TRANSLATION: Whoever is Lord Hari, He Himself is Lord Shiva indeed. Whoever is manifesting as Lord Shiva, He Himself is Lord Hari. Any human being who mistakes both the Lords to be different, he/she surely goes to hell.

So when we refer Shiva as Demigod - are we not contradicting Krsna? (unlike Brahma and Indra who can be regular souls).

Same goes for RadhaRani - she is Hara, from which all other shakti emanate form, which have no limit - like Durga, Katyayani and Das Vidya. Again I am not talking about other higher sould that are consort to Demi Gods like Indra, Agni, Vayu.

Please shed some light.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Pr,

PAMHO. AGTSP. AGTSG&SG.

We need not speculate on the meaning of this. Srila Prabhupada has given all the knowledge in his books and purports. For this question we can refer to Brahma Samhita 5.45

kṣīraḿ yathā dadhi vikāra-viśeṣa-yogāt

sañjāyate na hi tataḥ pṛthag asti hetoḥ

yaḥ śambhutām api tathā samupaiti kāryād

govindam ādi-puruṣaḿ tam ahaḿ bhajāmi

TRANSLATION

Just as milk is transformed into curd by the action of acids, but yet the effect curd is neither same as, nor different from, its cause, viz., milk, so I adore the primeval Lord Govinda of whom the state of Śambhu is a transformation for the performance of the work of destruction.

PURPORT

(The real nature of Śambhu, the presiding deity of Maheśa-dhāma, is described.) Śambhu is not a second Godhead other than Kṛṣṇa. Those, who entertain such discriminating sentiment, commit a great offense against the Supreme Lord. The supremacy of Śambhu is subservient to that of Govinda; hence they are not really different from each other. The nondistinction is established by the fact that just as milk treated with acid turns into curd so Godhead becomes a subservient when He Himself attains a distinct personality by the addition of a particular element of adulteration. This personality has no independent initiative. The said adulterating principle is constituted of a combination of the stupefying quality of the deluding energy, the quality of nonplenitude of the marginal potency and a slight degree of the ecstatic-cum-cognitive principle of the plenary spiritual potency. This specifically adulterated reflection of the principle of the subjective portion of the Divinity is Sadāśiva, in the form of the effulgent masculine-symbol-god Śambhu from whom Rudradeva is manifested. In the work of mundane creation as the material cause, in the work of preservation by the destruction of sundry asuras and in the work of destruction to conduct the whole operation, Govinda manifests Himself as guṇa-avatāra in the form of Śambhu who is the separated portion of Govinda imbued with the principle of His subjective plenary portion. The personality of the destructive principle in the form of time has been identified with that of Śambhu by scriptural evidences that have been adduced in the commentary. The purport of the Bhāgavata ślokas, viz., vaiṣṇavānāḿ yathā śambhuḥ, etc., is that Śambhu, in pursuance of the will of Govinda, works in union with his consort Durgādevī by his own time energy. He teaches pious duties (dharma) as stepping-stones to the attainment of spiritual service in the various tantra-śāstras, etc., suitable for jīvas in different grades of the conditional existence. In obedience to the will of Govinda, Śambhu maintains and fosters the religion of pure devotion by preaching the cult of illusionism (Māyāvāda) and the speculative āgama-śāstras. The fifty attributes of individual souls are manifest in a far vaster measure in Śambhu and five additional attributes not attainable by jīvas are also partly found in him. So Śambhu cannot be called a jīva. He is the lord of jīva but yet partakes of the nature of a separated portion of Govinda.

Hope this clears your doubt.

Hari bol!!!

• Hari Bol!

Yes Prabhu it does! It indeed is excellent piece. Thanks for bottom of my heart.

• If the humility of Lord Vishnu, and the pride of Lord Brahma and the achievement of Lord Shiva are to be seen in a single episode, one must visit Tiruvannamalai. There is a mountain which was earlier reputed to have been made of gold, later turned into gems, and now it is rocks and soil.It so happened, that Lord Shiva, during his meditations, assumed the form of an endless column of fire.This column of fire had no beginning and no end.Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma noticed this and began exploring.They decided they would go in opposite directions, and find the end.Lord Brahma took the form of a swan, and flew upwards, till a parijata flower fell from the top, and he deduced from this, that the column ends in heaven, so he returned to earth, confident that he had found the answer.Lord Vishnu took the form of a Boar, and went down searching for the end, eventually got tired, and returned back.He admitted he could not find the end. When he told this to Lord Brahma, Brahma smiled and said "the column ends in heavens! I have seen its end! Just then, lord Shiva appeared, and the column of fire was reduced to a pillar of gold.He spoke as follows - As you have not spoken the truth, without even verifying the end of the column,I decree from henceforth, that only one temple will exist where Brahma will be worshipped, and as for Lord Vishnu, who has truly admitted that there is no end, let there be as many temples of Lord Vishnu, as there exists temples of mine (Lord Shiva). Thus, in reality, we see, Brahma is worshipped only at Pushkar,Rajasthan. interesting fact is that wherever a temple of Lord Siva comes up, a temple of Lord Vishnu also appears. I verified this fact in Dubai.A temple of Lord Shiva exists, and by its side a temple of Lord Vishnu (in the form of Srinath ji) also exists. The greatness of Lord Vishnu is clear in his humble and truthful approach, even though he is Supreme amongst the trinity. There are now twelve unique Sivalingams, around Mount Tiruvannamalai. Each of these has a form of Swan(representing Lord Brahma) engraved on the top, and a boar engraved (representing Lord Vishnu) below. This it tells the above story directly.

Home - SOIL
    SOIL srl opera nel campo dell’ingegneria civile fornendo servizi di progettazione, consulenza, assistenza tecnica e coprendo tutte le fasi di progett…
    • That is correct prabhu jee because Shiv jee prays Sri Hari in Shiv Bhav all the time as extension and whole.

• That seems very acceptable.

Hari Bol Prabhu!

• hare krsna pr

lord shiva is always perfect bacause he has taken shelter of krsna . he is a greater and pure devotee than brahma.

ys

• hare krsna pamho

agt srila prabhuapda

shiva has 55 qualities and not to full extent . krsna is purnatama swayam bhagvan. he has 64 qualities in full.prabhupada writes in bhagvata that shiva is not complete god ,he is not independent , he has no seperate existence from krsna. that is the tattva he is transformation of vishnu and he is in charge of mode of ignorance. we as devotees of krsna should not have any confusion regarding it.

ys

• Hari Bol! There is no guna associated to any of HIS extensions Prabhu jee. Krsna HIMSelf says so. Shiv trishul is symbol of HIS control on three gunas and HIS control on them. But being full form and extension, they are one and same.

Yes but I understood one that HIS Shiv form merges in HIM at the end of a cycle, reading scriptures. Thanks for your posts.

This reply was deleted.