Volunteer

Hari Nama Sankirtan:

Because it is neglected, our mission's progress is impeded. In America the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are having greater success with their preaching efforts because they regularly go out to the people. Srila Prabhupada asked us to go out in public and chant the Holy Name. It's our natural logo and trade mark and when we do it we have spectacular success. Why we are not doing? It's a big offense to Srila Prabhupada for us to not follow this prime directive and primary instruction. What is our excuse? How can we justify this neglect? It is criminal negligence. Because my wife and I go out every day without fail, we are experiencing miracles in our life. When all the members of ISKCON went out every day chanting we were like lions on the chase and lambs at home. Now it's the other way around. This is making Srila Prabhupada very sad. Please chant and be happy. Go out and chant the maha mantra and your life will be sublime and you will help others also. There is no other way. Everything else will only lead to more crisis management.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hi hare krishna.. u r right Hari nama sankirtan is very powerful.. we should chant in publically and teach people to chant more and more then we become true devotee of Radha krishna and discipli ofshri Prabhupada
  • I have been wondering for many years what happened to hari nama sankirtan. Excluding Ratha-yatra festivals, I haven't seen devotees chanting in public since the late 80s in Guatemala. Well, maybe once or twice in St. Louis. I agree, chanting in public is the backbone of the movement. It's Lord Caitanya's program. It's what Srila Prabhupada did to start the movement. That's what gets people talking and inquiring.
    I'll never forget my first time on hari nama with devotees. It was downtown Chicago and I was the only one with hair and western attire. At first I felt self conscious looking at the people. Then one of the devotees reminded me to concentrate on the Holy Name and I was able to experience the joy of chanting in public.
    When book distribution took center stage in the mid 70s, and Srila Prabhupada was so pleased, it seems that hari nama sankirtana was put on the back burner. I would like to see traveling buses again here in the US, but with an equal emphasis on book distribution and hari nama.
This reply was deleted.