Exercise and staying fit

Hare Krishna

I have come back to devotional life, thanks to COVID and lockdowns.

Now I am increasing weight like anything. I was 70 KG and now I I am 90 KG (I mean my body).

Now, I wake up at 4:00 AM and do chanting and then 1 hour class. This schedule is till 9 AM.

4-4:30 bath, then chanting, in between watering plants, sometimes cooking if I get hungry. 7:40 - 9 AM online class, sometimes goes till 9:30 AM.

Now, I researched and found shortcut to reduce weight is running. Just by 30 mins running you can reduce weight like 1 KG in a week. I have bought a treadmill (semi commercial treadmill, in that you can run for 2-3 hours also). 

Now, my question is when should I run, morning time is usually for sadhana. While in the evenings you get tired and dont feel like exercising.

Also, is any form of exercise preferred? Like weights, yoga, running, pranayam etc. Is weights considered not good for devotion?

Please do clarify and share expert guidance and experiences.

Please note: Intention of exercise should be to serve Krishna and Vaishnavas more and better, not to attract opposite gender.

YS, PAMHO

Jai Srila Prabhupada.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

I saw one video on whatsapp whihc spoke about maintaning optimum health in pandemic time. So it said morning till 10 am, do not eat anything. Have a fruit after 10 am, then lunch of one grain (either rice or roti). Evening before 6 pm have a soup. From 6 pm to 10 am, do not have anything except water. This way, your body will feel energetic and you will not gain weight. I tried for some time, it worked for me.

Regarding treadmill, it can be done anytime of the day or night. Please ensure that you exercise to keep fit, so that you are able to do more and more service.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krishna Radha Rasmayi Mataji

Pamho, very nice suggestion.. Sorry for missing this. Will try this suggestion out. 

Hare Krishna

• Hare Krsna prabhu

PAMHO

You can try giving 1 hr to body exercise before breakfast

Yas

• Hare Krishna,

1. Please check your Thyroid Hormone levels. Complete blood picture.

2. eat more fiber food. less carbs. ( usually between 7 to 7:30 pm) complete ur dinner.

3. Night time don't eat more. ( mostly veggie salad with chia seeds and more water melon and cucumbers to fill ur tummy with). as its summer they are easily available also.

more water content foods makes you less drowsy and more filling.. 

4. running is a good exercise but don't start anything quickly. start slowly increasing ur speed on the treadmil.

first few days keep walking at a slow pace for longer periods of time. after a week or so, the body will be trained to adjust to take up next high level speed.

5. People do exercise in the morning and evening also. You can do 10 min walking and 10 min jogging and 10 min running.

If you are not able to accomodate exercise in the morning divide it thru whole day.  

Sankirtan and conggregational chanting and dancing in kirtan is best way to lose weight along with bhakti.  

6. walking 10,000 steps per day is proven to be healthy.

( 10,000 steps takes exactly 2 hours.. which is same time as 16 rounds. 

download an app in the iphone which just records your daily step count. while you simply walk you can even finish ur rounds comfortably. Becoz of lockdown time you cannot go out maybe. you can just chant by walking around ur house or in a temple doing circumbulation.

Running is good but some side effects of running are you might sprain ur ligaments of knees. 

--walking 10,000 steps + chanting.

--congregational chanting ( sankirtan) in temple and dancing is just as good as Zumba dance. Only you need to have love for krishna. 

Zumba is wastage of money. Where you achieve the same workout when you participate in aarti programe.

planning your day is important. prioritze things properly.

make a list of things to do and keep the list stick it on the wall.

plan properly each one. 

16 rounds is must but you can divide it to 4+4+4+4 

4 rounds is like 30 min. you can utilize the time properly if you just divide the work.

finally at the end of the day quality chanting is must not quantity.  Do 4 rounds in the morning with full consciouness not sleepy head. 4 you can do before 9 am 4 in the afternoon before lunch and 4 before going to bed.

and you may utilize the time in the morning for running jogging or whatever exercises you plan

Don't eat too much heavy loaded prasadam. consume prasadam as prasadam little not greedily eating.

Eating less and drinking more water and water containing food stuffs makes your bladder full so you will wake up early in the morning automatically to empty ur bowels.

Eating more firber foods makes you empty ur bowels first thing in the morning. then ur take a bath. Mostly this is the reason why many feel drowsy as they are constipated.

don't have too much starchy foods like potatoes. they cause more sleepiness.

Bastrika asana is good to increase influx of air and waking your up from drowsiness.

Pray to Krishna to help you.

where there is will there will be a way somehow. Every change takes 21 days to get established and forming a habit. Daily do little bit of change in your system.  Don't do at a time all things. slowly introduce everything.

Hare Krishna

This reply was deleted.