ISKCON Desire Tree - Devotee Network

Connecting Devotees Worldwide - In Service Of Srila Prabhupada

ELEVEN OM PRAYERS FROM THE SRIMAD BHAGAVATAM. The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. AND SRILA PRABHUPADA`S LECTURES.

oḿ namo bhagavate narasiḿhāya
namas tejas-tejase āvir-āvirbhava
vajra-nakha vajra-daḿṣṭra karmāśayān
randhaya randhaya tamo grasa grasa oḿsvāhā;
abhayam abhayam ātmani bhūyiṣṭhā oḿ kṣraum

I offer my respectful obeisances unto Lord Nṛsiḿhadeva, the source of all power. O my Lord who possesses nails and teeth just like thunderbolts, kindly vanquish our demonlike desires for fruitive activity in this material world. Please appear in our hearts and drive away our ignorance so that by Your mercy we may become fearless in the struggle for existence in this material world.

oḿ hrāḿ hrīḿ hrūḿ oḿ namo bhagavate hṛṣīkeśāya
sarva-guṇa-viśeṣair vilakṣitātmane ākūtīnāḿ
cittīnāḿ cetasāḿ viśeṣāṇāḿ cādhipataye
ṣoḍaśa-kalāyacchando-mayāyānna-mayāyāmṛta-mayāya
sarva-mayāya sahase ojase balāya
kāntāya kāmāya namas te ubhayatra bhūyāt

Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Hṛṣīkeśa, the controller of all my senses and the origin of everything. As the supreme master of all bodily, mental and intellectual activities, He is the only enjoyer of their results. The five sense objects and eleven senses, including the mind, are His partial manifestations. He supplies all the necessities of life, which are His energy and thus nondifferent from Him, and He is the cause of everyone's bodily and mental prowess, which is also nondifferent from Him. Indeed, He is the husband and provider of necessities for all living entities. The purpose of all the Vedas is to worship Him. Therefore let us all offer Him our respectful obeisances. May He always be favorable toward us in this life and the next.

oḿ namo bhagavate mukhyatamāya
namaḥ sattvāya prāṇāyaujase
sahase balāya mahā-matsyāya nama iti

I offer my respectful obeisances unto the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is pure transcendence. He is the origin of all life, bodily strength, mental power and sensory ability. Known as Matsyāvatāra, the gigantic fish incarnation, He appears first among all the incarnations. Again I offer my obeisances unto Him.

oḿ namo bhagavate akūpārāya
sarva-sattva-guṇa-viśeṣaṇāyānu-palakṣita-sthānāya
namo varṣmaṇe namo bhūmne
namo namo 'vasthānāya namas te

O my Lord, I offer my respectful obeisances unto You, who have assumed the form of a tortoise. You are the reservoir of all transcendental qualities, and being entirely untinged by matter, You are perfectly situated in pure goodness. You move here and there in the water, but no one can discern Your position. Therefore I offer my respectful obeisances unto You. Because of Your transcendental position, You are not limited by past, present and future. You are present everywhere as the shelter of all things, and therefore I offer my respectful obeisances unto You again and again.

oḿ namo bhagavate mantra-tattva-lińgāya
yajña-kratave mahā-dhvarāvayavāya
mahā-puruṣāya namaḥ karma-śuklāya tri-yugāya namas te

O Lord, we offer our respectful obeisances unto You as the gigantic person. Simply by chanting mantras, we shall be able to understand You fully. You areyajña [sacrifice], and You are the kratu [ritual]. Therefore all the ritualistic ceremonies of sacrifice are part of Your transcendental body, and You are the only enjoyer of all sacrifices. Your form is composed of transcendental goodness. You are known as tri-yuga because in Kali-yuga You appeared as a concealed incarnation and because You always fully possess the three pairs of opulences.

oḿ namo bhagavate uttamaślokāya
nama ārya-lakṣaṇa-śīla-vratāya
nama upaśikṣitātmana upāsita-lokāya
namaḥ sādhu-vāda-nikaṣaṇāya
namo brahmaṇya-devāya
mahā-puruṣāya mahā-rājāya nama iti

Let me please Your Lordship by chanting the bīja-mantra oḿkāra. I wish to offer my respectful obeisances unto the Personality of Godhead, who is the best among the most highly elevated personalities. Your Lordship is the reservoir of all the good qualities of Āryans, people who are advanced. Your character and behavior are always consistent, and You always control Your senses and mind. Acting just like an ordinary human being, You exhibit exemplary character to teach others how to behave. There is a touchstone that can be used to examine the quality of gold, but You are like a touchstone that can verify all good qualities. You are worshiped by brāhmaṇas who are the foremost of all devotees. You, the Supreme Person, are the King of kings, and therefore I offer my respectful obeisances unto You.

oḿ namo bhagavate upaśama-śīlāyoparatānātmyāya
namo 'kiñcana-vittāya
ṛṣi-ṛṣabhāya nara-nārāyaṇāya
paramahaḿsa-parama-gurave
ātmārāmādhipataye namo nama iti

Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto Nara-Nārāyaṇa, the best of all saintly persons, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He is the most self-controlled and self-realized, He is free from false prestige, and He is the asset of persons who have no material possessions. He is the spiritual master of all paramahaḿsas, who are the most exalted human beings, and He is the master of the self-realized. Let me offer my repeated obeisances at His lotus feet.

oḿ namas te 'stu bhagavan
nārāyaṇa vāsudevādi-puruṣa mahā-puruṣa
mahānubhāva parama-mańgala
parama-kalyāṇa parama-kāruṇika
kevalajagad-ādhāra lokaika-nātha
sarveśvara lakṣmī-nātha paramahaḿsa-parivrājakaiḥ
parameṇātma-yoga-samādhinā
paribhāvita-parisphuṭa-pāramahaḿsya
-dharmeṇodghāṭita-tamaḥ-kapāṭa-dvāre citte 'pāvṛta
ātma-loke svayam upalabdha-nija-sukhānubhavo bhavān

O Supreme Personality of Godhead, O Nārāyaṇa, O Vāsudeva, original person! O most exalted person, supreme experience, welfare personified! O supreme benediction, supremely merciful and changeless! O support of the cosmic manifestation, sole proprietor of all planetary systems, master of everything and husband of the goddess of fortune! Your Lordship is realized by the topmost sannyāsīs, who wander about the world to preach Kṛṣṇa consciousness, fully absorbed in samādhi through bhakti-yoga. Because their minds are concentrated upon You, they can receive the conception of Your personality in their fully purified hearts. When the darkness in their hearts is completely eradicated and You are revealed to them, the transcendental bliss they enjoy is the transcendental form of Your Lordship. No one but such persons can realize You. Therefore we simply offer You our respectful obeisances.

oḿ namas tubhyaḿ bhagavate
vāsudevāya dhīmahi
pradyumnāyāniruddhāya
namaḥ sańkarṣaṇāya ca
namo vijñāna-mātrāya
paramānanda-mūrtaye
ātmārāmāya śāntāya
nivṛtta-dvaita-dṛṣṭaye

O Lord, O Supreme Personality of Godhead, who are addressed by the oḿkāra [praṇava], I offer my respectful obeisances unto You. O Lord Vāsudeva, I meditate upon You. O Lord Pradyumna, Lord Aniruddha and Lord Sańkarṣaṇa, I offer You my respectful obeisances. O reservoir of spiritual potency, O supreme bliss, I offer my respectful obeisances unto You, who are self-sufficient and most peaceful. O ultimate truth, one without a second, You are realized as Brahman, Paramātmā and Bhagavān and are therefore the reservoir of all knowledge. I offer my respectful obeisances unto You.

oḿ namo bhagavate mahā-puruṣāya
mahānubhāvāya mahā-vibhūti-pataye
sakala-sātvata-parivṛḍha-nikara-kara-kamala
-kuḍmalopalālita-caraṇāravinda-yugala
parama-parameṣṭhin namas te

O transcendental Lord, who are situated in the topmost planet of the spiritual world, Your two lotus feet are always massaged by a multitude of the best devotees with their lotus-bud hands. You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead, complete in six opulences. You are the supreme person mentioned in thePuruṣa-sūkta prayers. You are the most perfect, self-realized master of all mystic power. Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto You.

oḿ namo bhagavate tubhyaḿ
puruṣāya mahātmane
haraye 'dbhuta-siḿhāya
brahmaṇe paramātmane

O my Lord, full of six opulences, O Supreme Person! O Supreme Soul, killer of all miseries! O Supreme Person in the form of a wonderful lion and man, let me offer my respectful obeisances unto You.

Views: 2339

Replies to This Discussion

The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. PART 7.

Pradyumna: "The impersonalists sometimes misunderstand devotional service in such a way that they divide Krsna from His paraphernalia and pastimes. For example, the Bhagavad-gita is spoken on the Battlefield of Kuruksetra, and the impersonalists say that although Krsna is of interest, the Battlefield of Kuruksetra isn't. The devotees, however, also know that the Battlefield of Kuruksetra by itself has nothing to do with their business, but in addition they know that 'Krsna' does not mean just Krsna alone. He is always with His associates and paraphernalia."

Prabhupada: There are so-called pseudo devotees. They say, "What we have to do with Bhagavad-gita?" They think that they are so advanced that they will jump over immediately to the Krsna's rasa-lila. That means Krsna's lila in the Kuruksetra is not very much important for them. But no. Krsna's lila, either in the Kuruksetra or in Vrndavana, the same thing. We should know. Abhinnatvad nama-naminoh. So better, first of all, read Bhagavad-gita, the preliminary study of Srimad-Bhagavatam. Try to read, or try to learn. Of course, in the Srimad-Bhagavatam there is everything. But for ordinary persons, because Bhagavad-gita is the ABCD of spiritual knowledge... People even commit mistakes in studying the ABCD of spiritual knowledge. People have become so much degraded that they cannot understand even ABCD of spiritual knowledge. They'll make their own interpretation. Such is the horrible condition. They'll try to make minus Krsna Bhagavad-gita, go on reading Bhagavad-gita for millions of years, setting aside Krsna. That is scholarly. This is going on. Scholar means they say, openly... I have seen Dr. Radhakrishnan. When he's explaining man-mana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji mam namaskuru [Bg. 18.65], he's saying openly, "It is not to the person Krsna." He's saying. Just see the attempt. He's writing comments on Bhagavad-gita and he's trying to make Krsna away, minus Krsna. Simply mental speculation. This is going on. We should be very careful. What is that? Go on. The impersonalists... The impersonalists, they do not know that Krsna and Krsna's body, not different. They take it for acceptance that when God, Brahman comes, He accepts a material body. That is Mayavadi philosophy. Therefore Krsna says, avajananti mam mudhah manusim tanum asritah [Bg. 9.11]. He comes... Sambhavamy atma-mayaya [Bg. 4.6]. He comes as He is. Otherwise how He can act so wonderfully? When He was on the lap of His mother, three months old, how He could kill the gigantic demon, Putana? He's not different from His body. He simply appears according to the necessity. Krsna has no such difference, body and soul. He's full, complete, spiritual. We have got, in this conditional state, soul and body difference. Dehi and deha. Dehino 'smin yatha dehe kaumaram yauvanam jara [Bg. 2.13]. So dehantaram praptih. Krsna hasn't got to accept another body. So this, these things we should know. Krsna is complete, purna-brahman. There is nothing like material and spiritual in Krsna's body. Go on.

Pradyumna: "For instance, if someone says, 'Give something to eat to the man with the weapons,' the eating process is done by the man and not by the weapons. Similarly, in Krsna consciousness, a devotee may be interested in the paraphernalia and locations -- such as the Battlefield of Kuruksetra -- which are associated with Krsna, but he is not concerned with simply any battlefield. He is concerned with Krsna -- His speech, His instructions, etc. It is because Krsna is there that the battlefield is so important."

Prabhupada: Go on.

Pradyumna: "This is the summary understanding of what Krsna consciousness is. Without this understanding one is sure to misunderstand why the devotees are interested in the Battlefield of Kuruksetra."

Prabhupada: Yes. Sometimes we are asked that "Why Krsna induced Arjuna to become violent?" So then so many so-called scholars, they criticize Krsna, but they do not know what is Krsna. Krsna is absolute. In whichever way He acts, it is the same thing. God is good. It does not mean when He fights in the Battlefield of Kurksetra He becomes bad. No. He's still good. That is the conception of God: absolute. He can do anything and anything. Still, He continues to be the Absolute Truth. That is Absolute Truth. There is no relative understanding, "This is good for God, this is bad for God," as (if) God has come before me to be judged by me. You cannot judge God, Krsna. What He does... Just like Arjuna accepted Krsna: sarvam etad rtam manye yad vadasi kesava [Bg. 10.14]. "I accept whatever You say in toto, without any distinction." That is acceptance of Bhagavad-gita and Krsna. That is the way of understanding Vedas. You cannot judge the conclusion of the Vedas. You have to accept as it is. Because we are conditioned. We have got so many defects -- we are illusioned, we commit mistake, our senses are imperfect... So many defects. Bhrama-pramada-vipralipsa-kara-napatava, we want to cheat others. So therefore we cannot give perfect knowledge. We have to receive knowledge from the perfect. And who is better perfect than Krsna? Therefore whatever Krsna says, whatever Krsna does, that is all good. There is nothing criticizing. You cannot criticize Krsna. That is not possible. You cannot say, "Why Krsna took part in the Battlefield of Kuruksetra?" Yes, He had business to do it. Because He appeared, paritranaya sadhunam vinasaya ca duskrtam [Bg. 4.8]. He had to kill all the demons. That was His another business. Not only to dance with the gopis in Vrndavana, but He had other business to kill the demons. In Vrndavana also, so many demons were appearing daily, and Krsna was killing them. So that is another side of Krsna's business. But if you study Krsna from your materialistic angle of vision, you'll misunderstand. You should know Krsna's dancing with the gopis and Krsna's fighting in the Battlefield of Kuruksetra is the one and the same. That is Krsna consciousness.

Thank you very much. Hare Krsna. (end)
The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, October 30, 1972

The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. PART 7 B.

Pradyumna: (reading:) "...as given by Rupa Gosvami in Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu, can be summarized thus: his service is favorable and is always in relation to Krsna. In order to keep the purity of such Krsna conscious activities, one must be freed from all material desires and philosophical speculation. Any desire except for the service of the Lord is called material desire. And philosophical speculation refers to the sort of speculation which ultimately arrives at a conclusion of voidism or impersonalism. This conclusion is useless for a Krsna conscious person. Only rarely by philosophical speculation can one reach the conclusion of worshiping Vasudeva, Krsna. This is confirmed in the Bhagavad-gita itself. The ultimate end of philosophical speculation, then, must be Krsna, with the understanding that Krsna is everything, the cause of all causes, and that one should therefore surrender unto Him. If this ultimate goal is reached, then philosophical advancement is favorable, but if the conclusion of philosophical speculation is voidism or impersonalism, that is not bhakti."

Prabhupada: There is a verse in the Srimad-Bhagavatam: vasudeva-para veda vasudeva-param jnanam vasudeva-param gatim. So unless one is led to the conclusion vasudevah sarvam iti [Bg. 7.19], jnana-vairagya-karma, anything that you are trying to achieve, if it is not targeted to the realization of Vasudeva, then it... Srama eva hi kevalam [SB 1.2.8]. That is the conclusion of Bhagavata. Whatever you do, the ultimate goal should be realization of Vasudeva, Krsna. Vedais ca sarvair aham eva vedyam [Bg. 15.15]. All Vedic conclusions should be ultimately to realize Vasudeva, Krsna. Bahunam janmanam ante [Bg. 7.19]. This realization is achieved after many, many births of philosophical speculation, mystic yogic exercise or fruitive activities. Koti-karmi-madhye eka jnani srestha. To become karmi is the third-class stage of life. One has to make progress further, so that one may become self-realized, brahma-bhutah. So out of many, many karmis, one jnani, or one who has realized his identification, he's better. And out of many millions of jnanis who are trying to realize his self by philosophical speculation, brahma-jnana, so one mukta, or liberated soul, is better. And out of many thousands of liberated souls, it is said by Caitanya Mahaprabhu, it is very rare to find out a pure devotee of Krsna.

The conclusion is, a pure devotee of Krsna is picked up out of many, many liberated persons. Mukta-sangasya jayate. Krsna realization, bhagavat-tattva-vijnanam, mukta-sangasya jayate. Bhagavat-tattva, the truth, the Absolute Truth, which is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, bhagavat-tattva-vijnanam. Tattva means truth, and that is Bhagavan. Brahmeti paramatmeti bhagavan iti [SB 1.2.11]. Brahman realization is not all. One has to go further. Paramatma realization -- one has to go further. When one comes to realization of Bhagavan, sad-aisvarya-purna-bhagavan-Bhagavan means full will six kinds of opulences, person, sac-cid-ananda-vigrahah, sarva-karana-karanam [Bs. 5.1] -- that is ultimate goal of life. Vasudevah sarvam iti sa mahatma su-durlabhah [Bg. 7.19]. Such kind of mahatma is very rare. That is the verdict of all Vedic literature, and confirmed by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu: koti-mukta-madhye durlabha krsna-bhakta. Krsna bhakta, a pure devotee of Krsna, is very rarely to be found out amongst the muktas, amongst the liberated souls. Others are trying to become liberated, but a Krsna-bhakta is above liberation. Pancama-purusartha. People are busy for dharma artha kama moksa [SB 4.8.41, Cc. Adi 1.90]. Some of them are busy to become religious. Of course, without religious life, there..., there is no human society. Dharmena hina pasubhih samanah. Unless a society takes to religiosity, it is not human society. Therefore we see any civilized human society, there is a kind of religious system. It doesn't matter whether it is Hinduism, Christianism, or Buddhism, or Muhammadanism, but there must be a religious system. Without this system, that human society is not considered as human society. That is animal society. In the... Even I understand that in America the Red Indians, who are supposed to be not civilized, they had also a religious system. So maybe a perverted form of religious system. Similarly, in India also there are primitive races in the jungles, they have also... Religious system means approving the authority of some Supreme Being. That is religious system. So in the animal society there is no such conception that "There is God. We have got some relationship with God," what is that relationship. This type of discussion cannot be present in the animal society. So dharma artha kama moksa. Generally religious system is taken for improving social and economic condition. Artha. Artha means economy. Artha is required for sense gratification. We require economic development for our sense gratification. And when one is completely satisfied, then he can cultivate about spiritual realization, moksa, apavarga.

So dharmasya apavargyasya arthah na arthaya upakalpate. So dharma is not meant for developing economic condition. That is secondary. But dharma is meant for ultimate goal of liberation. People do not know that. People are not educated that what is the ultimate goal of life. Still, they take to religious life as a compromise between the contending elements, that "We must live peacefully under religious system." The aim is how to live in this material world peacefully. Sometimes religion and God is conceived in that way, that is, "If we have some conception of God, then we shall be moral, we shall be peaceful. Otherwise, there is no need of presenting God in the society." There are so many different opinions, different philosophers, different religious system, according to the modes of nature. But actually every system must be targeted towards realization of Krsna, or God. Vedais ca sarvair aham eva vedyam [Bg. 15.15]. That is Bhagavata-dharma. Bhagavata-dharma means realization of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Prahlada Maharaja recommended culture of this Bhagavata-dharma from the very beginning of life: kaumara acaret prajno dharman bhagavatan iha [SB 7.6.1]. That is the success of human form of life, to execute Bhagavata-dharma. The, the process... And dharma, as we have several times explained, dharma means the codes of Bhagavan. Dharmam tu saksad bhagavat-pranitam [SB 6.3.19].

So this Krsna consciousness movement is directly touching the point. Not step by step. There is no time. In the Kali-yuga there is very little time to go step by step. Otherwise, there are twenty different types of religious scriptures, vimsati-prakasa, dharma-sastra. So who will read, and who will try to understand? There is no time. Prayena alpayusah kalau asmin yuge janah. People who are very short-living and they are not very enthusiastic for self-realization. Manda. Even they, somebody becomes interested in self-realization, they accept some wrong path. Mandah sumanda-matayo [SB 1.1.10]. They have got different matah, opinion or path. And the so-called swamis, they also support that "Whatever opinion you have got about religious system, that is all right." Yata mata tata patha. But actually, the fact is different. The fact is that one should take simply to the devotional path, bhaktya mam abhijanati [Bg. 18.55]. If you are actually serious to know God, or Krsna, then you must take to this process of devotional service. Without this you cannot understand. Not through karma, not through mystic yogic exercises, but through devotional service. Bhaktya mam abhijanati, yavan yas casmi tattvatah [Bg. 18.55]. That is clearly stated in the Bhagavad... But people do not know it. Anartha upasamam saksad bhakti-yogam adhoksaje. Bhakti-yogam, execution of bhakti-yoga, is the means of anartha upasama, subduing the anarthas. Material life means we have accumulated some unwanted things. Just like this material body -- this is also not wanted. But somehow or other, we have developed this, and as we have got this material body, we have got so many material necessities of life. So it is not that abruptly we have to give it up. But by yukta-vairagya, everything, the material activities, dovetailing with Krsna consciousness, it becomes gradually purified, and we come to the final stage of understanding Krsna. That is our success of life. Go on.

Pradyumna: "Karma, or fruitive activities, are sometimes understood to be ritualistic activities. There are many persons who are very much attracted by the ritualistic activities described in the Vedas. But if one becomes attracted simply to ritualistic activities without understanding Krsna, his activities are unfavorable to Krsna consciousness. Actually, Krsna consciousness can be based simply on hearing, chanting, remembering, etc. Described in the Srimad-Bhagavatam are nine different processes, besides which, everything done is unfavorable to Krsna consciousness. Thus one should always be guarding against falldowns."

Prabhupada: So we should directly take to the nine different processes of devotional service, sravanam kirtanam visnoh [SB 7.5.23]. That we are stressing specifically every time, that hearing about Krsna is very important. Sravanam. As it is described in the Bhagavatam, srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah [SB 1.2.17]. Srnvatam. Simply hearing, srnvatam, those who are hearing... Caitanya Mahaprabhu has also recommended, sthane sthitah sruti-gatam tanu-van-manobhih. One may stay in his position as a brahmana, as a ksatriya, as a vaisya, or as a sudra. Everyone can hear about Krsna. This assembly which we are holding, there is no such thing that only the brahmanas will come here, or the ksatriyas will come here. Anyone can come and hear about Krsna. That is the process of Krsna consciousness movement. We try to invite everyone, from every corner of the world, to hear about Krsna. And that is becoming successful also. Simply by hearing about Krsna -- Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare -- and reading Bhagavad-gita, Srimad-Bhagavatam, simply talking about Krsna, they are becoming successful. So we should take... In the Kali-yuga it is very difficult to go step by step. It is not possible. Therefore by Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the easiest path has been recommended:

harer nama harer nama harer nama eva kevalam
kalau nasty eva nasty eva nasty eva gatir anyatha
 [Cc. Adi 17.21]

Actually, we cannot accept various paths for self-realization. That is not impossible. Sometimes, because we give stress directly to accept this devotional service, people are not very happy that we do not give any importance to the process of jnana and karma and yoga. We do not condemn, but they're very difficult. The yogic process... Especially in Western countries, they are very much fond of the word yoga. We are therefore publishing this book, Krsna Consciousness Is the Topmost Yoga. Actually it is so. So the yoga system or the jnana system or the karma-kanda system, we do not make them null and void, but it will be very much slow form of progress. It will take long, long time. Neither it is possible to execute yoga system or karma system very properly in this age. Therefore the best contribution to the people of this age is Krsna consciousness. Immediately take to... Directly take to Krsna and your life will be successful. Krsna also says, sarva-dharman parityajya [Bg. 18.66]. The yoga system, karma system, jnana system, they may be taken as different types of religious path, but Krsna recommends -- not only at the present moment, but eternally He recommends -- five thousand years ago, He said, sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [Bg. 18.66]. "I'll give you protection," aham tvam sarva-papebhyo. Go on.

Pradyumna: "Srila Rupa Gosvami has also mentioned in this definition of bhakti the word jnana-karmadi. This karmadi, or fruitive work, consists of activities which are unable to help one attain to pure devotional service. Many forms of so-called renunciation are also not favorable to Krsna conscious devotional service."

Prabhupada: Yes. Karma... Rupa Gosvami has directly recommended, anyabhilasita-sunyam jnana-karmady-anavrtam [Brs. 1.1.11]. Actually, we find so many yogis, jnanis, karmis, they cannot understand even what is the benefit of this Krsna consciousness movement. Because we say directly, "You take to devotional service," sometimes they are not satisfied. But what can be done? This is the process recommended. And we are preaching through the mercy of Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Caitanya Mahaprabhu has recommended that this process of Krsna-kirtana..., param vijayate krsna-sankir..., sankirtanam.

ceto-darpana-marjanam bhava-maha-davagni-nirvapanam
sreyah-kairava-candrika-vitaranam vidya-vadhu-jivanam
anandambudhi-vardhanam prapti-padam purnamrtasvadanam
sarvatma-snapanam param vijayate sri-krsna-sankirtanam
 [Cc. Antya 20.12]

This is Caitanya Mahaprabhu's blessings, param vijayate sri-krsna-sankirtanam. So go anywhere and everywhere, chant Hare Krsna mantra, and you'll become victorious. This is Caitanya Mahaprabhu's blessings. It is not our invention. And practically we are getting result. All over the world, our only means is to chant Hare Krsna mantra. Recently we have become victorious, very recently in Melbourne. You know, our men were being arrested and prosecuted. But one, the chief clergyman, archbishop, he has recommended that "These people are very nice people, God conscious. Don't give them trouble." Yes. And the government has stopped harassing. Now we are free to move on the street and go anywhere. This recent news we have got from Melbourne. Madhudvisa Maharaja has sent this news. Similarly, we were harassed in London also, and other places. In USA also. San Francisco. I do not know whether we were harassed in New York, but more or less... And in Japan also, they are talking that "You become bona fide religious organization. Otherwise you cannot come on the street." So although there is harassment by the governing agents, still we are coming out successful. Param vijayate sri-krsna-sankirtanam. All glories to the Sri-Krsna-Sankirtana! Practically. So you stick to this principle, go on chanting Hare Krsna mantra anywhere it is possible, and you'll be victorious. That is the blessings of Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Believe in it and you'll be successful. Yes. Go on.

Pradyumna: "Srila Rupa Gosvami has also quoted a definition from the Narada-pancaratra as follows: 'One should be free from all material designations and must be cleansed of all material contamination by Krsna consciousness. He should be restored to his pure identity, where he engages his senses in the service of the proprietor of the senses.' So when our senses are engaged for the actual proprietor of the senses, that is called devotional service."

Prabhupada: Hrsikena hrsikesa-sevanam bhaktir ucyate [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. Bhakti, devotional service, does not mean inertness. Not simply sitting down or meditate. It is activity, engaging all the senses. Hrsikena hrsikesa-sevanam. Hrsika means these senses -- not these senses, but purified senses. Sarvopadhi-vinirmuktam [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. Just like pranair arthair dhiyah vaca. Prana, life; artha, riches, money; dhiya, intelligence; and vaca, speeches. So everyone using... Just like for national cause people are engaging life, they are sacrificing life. So many, for attainment of independence in India, so many Indians gave up their life. Pranaih. So many people gave up their everything. We know during national movement, Mr. C. R. Das, a great leader of the Congress group, he sacrificed everything. He was a big, very big lawyer, barrister. He sacrificed his profession, he sacrificed his life -- everything. So as we are sacrificing everything for attainment of some so-called national independence, the same thing, if we sacrifice for Krsna, then our life becomes successful. Pranair arthair dhiya vaca sreya-acaranam sada.

So it is not inactivity. Caitanya Mahaprabhu or his followers, they were not inactive. They were acting. This Rupa Gosvami, he was so active that he could not sleep at night even for more than one and one half hour. They retired from the material activities. He was minister. He gave up his job and joined Caitanya Mahaprabhu in old age. He came to Vrndavana not to live a retired life, but a very active life.

nana-sastra-vicaranaika-nipunau sad-dharma-samsthapakau
lokanam hita-karinau tri-bhuvane manyau saranyakarau
radha-krsna-padaravinda-bhajananandena-mattalikau
vande rupa-sanatana raghu-yugau sri-jiva-gopalakau

Here is, sitting, Sri Gosvamiji. He's coming from Gopala Bhatta Gosvami. So all these six Gosvamis, they were not inactive. They were always active. As we are active in the karma, karmi life, so bhakti life is also activity. It is not sitting down idly or gossiping. One must find out some job to serve Krsna. That is bhakti life. Hrsikena hrsikesa-sevanam [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. Sevanam means activity. Sevanam does not mean sit down idle, inert. No. As soon as seva... Seva means activity. One has to preach, one has to write, one has to do this, do that, cook, offer the prasadam, everything. Seva, activity.

So that activity and karmis' activity, there is difference. The karmi's activity is on upadhi. "I am American," "I am Indian," "I am Hindu," "I am Muslim," "I am Christian." With this upadhi, we are acting. But bhakti means without upadhi. Sarvopadhi-virnirmuktam. Activity without upadhi. Working not as American. Working not as Indian. Working not as Hindu. Working not as Muslim. That is sarvopadhi-vinirmuktam tat-paratvena nirmalam [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. If we think that "I am Christian," "I am Hindu," "I am American," that is with upadhi. When we purely think that "We are...," or "I am servant of Krsna. My only business is to satisfy Krsna," that activity is called bhakti. If I become interested in some party, that is not... Sometimes people criticize these American and European devotees, that they think that "They are American devotee; we are Hindu devotee. There is difference." This is not bhakti-marga. This is upadhi. Why you should think yourself as Hindu? Why you should think of others who have come from America as American? That is less intelligent. Krsna-bhakta... Vaisnave jati-buddhih. If one thinks of Vaisnava as belonging to this class, this nation, he has no vision. Naraki. That is called naraki-buddhih. Vaisnave jati-buddhih arcye siladhir gurusu nara-matir vaisnave jati-buddhih. If we think the Deity as made of stone and made of wood, arcye sila-dhir; gurusu, nara-matih, if we accept spiritual master as ordinary human being; vaisnave jati-buddhih, and if we take a Vaisnava as belonging to America or Europe or India... No. They are transcendental. Neither the Deity in the temple is stone, neither the spiritual master is ordinary human being, nor the Vaisnava belongs to any caste. This vision is perfect vision. When you come to this vision, that is bhakti. Tat-paratvena nirmalam. A bhakta has to become purified. Tat-paratvena, being dovetailed with the service of tat, om tat sat. Tat-param. This is the process of devotional service. One should not be designated "I am this," "I am that," "I am that." No. The world should unite. This Krsna consciousness movement is so nice that one should forget that he's Indian or Hindu or Christian or American or Indian. Everything should unite as servant of Krsna. That is bhakti-marga. Unfortunately, they distinguish between American Vaisnava and Indian Vaisnava: brahmana Vaisnava, sudra Vaisnava. No. A Vaisnava is Vaisnava. Visnur asya devatah iti vaisnava. One who has accepted Visnu as "my Lord," he has no designation. A Vaisnava has no such distinction. Sarvopadhi-vinirmuktam [Cc. Madhya 19.170].

So this is the sutra given by Narada. Tat tenaiva vinirdiset [SB 7.11.35]. So we must follow the path of mahajana, the instruction of the acarya. Then we can become purified. And unless we are purified, there is no question of pure devotional service. Sa bhaktah prakrtah smrta. If one does not want to become advanced, if one does not want to become purified, then he remains a prakrta-bhakta. Prakrta-bhakta means executing devotional service under the instruction of spiritual master and the regulative principles of sastra, but he's still on the platform of material understanding. That is called prakrta-bhakta. A prakrta-bhakta cannot understand how another bhakta is transcendental. A prakrta-bhakta cannot understand that Vrndavana is always transcendental. Therefore Srila Jiva Gosvami has discussed this point in his Tattva-sandarbha, that we cannot accept any manufactured ideas. Because everyone is defective by the four defects of material life, we have to accept the version of Vedas, Puranas. He has tried to establish Puranas as Vedic supplementary. Others, they reject Puranas out of the Vedas. But Jiva Gosvami established. All the Gosvamis. Just like Rupa Gosvami has given, sruti-smrti-puranadi-pancaratriki-vidhim vina, aikantiki harer bhaktir utpatayaiva kalpate [Brs. 1.2.101]. It is utpata, disturbance. If you do not follow the principles of sruti, smrti, purana, pancaratriki-vidhi... Just like we were discussing this point, sarvopadhi-vinirmuktam [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. This is pancaratriki-vidhi. So if we do not follow these principles... Without following these principles, the so-called devotional service, Hari-bhakti, utpata, simply disturbance, simply a disturbance. Therefore we have to follow the principles laid down by the Gosvamis, Sad-gosvamis. Vande rupa-sanatanau raghu-yugau sri-jiva-gopalakau. And then our attempt will be successful.

Thank you very much. (end)
The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, November 1, 1972

The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. PART 7 C.

Pradyumna: (reading:) "So when our senses are engaged for the actual proprietor of the senses, that is called devotional service. In our conditional state, our senses are engaged in serving these bodily demands. When the same senses are engaged in executing the order of Krsna, it is called bhakti."

Prabhupada: Hrsikena hrsikesa-sevanam bhaktir ucyate [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. Bhakti, it is very simple thing. Our relationship with Krsna is natural. Krsna says in the Bhagavad-gita, mamaivamsa jiva-bhutah. We are part and parcel of Krsna; therefore our only duty is to serve Krsna. That is natural. There is no question about it. Part and parcel means helping the whole. As we have several times explained that this finger is the part and parcel of my body, so it is the duty of the finger always serve the body, whole body. It has no other occupation. As soon as I desire, "Finger, you come to this place," immediately it comes. "Finger, you come to this place," it immediately comes. So we can study. What is the meaning of part and parcel? Part and parcel means to serve the whole. Krsna is the Absolute Truth. We are relative truth. Therefore it is our duty to serve Krsna. That is our natural position.

But at the present moment, we are engaging our senses, ourself, in designation. I am thinking, "I am American," I am thinking, "I am Hindu," I am thinking, "I am brahmana" or "I am sannyasi." So many designations. Caitanya Mahaprabhu presented Himself, how to become designationless, sarvopadhi-vinirmuktam [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. He said, "I am not a brahmana. I am not a sudra. I am not a ksatriya. I am not a brahmacari." He denied. At last He said, gopi-bhartuh pada-kamalayoh dasa-dasanudasah [Cc. Madhya 13.80]. This is our position. We are not Indian; we are not American; we are not Hindu; we are not Muslim. These are all designations. Therefore (the) Krsna consciousness movement is to make people free from designation. Just like, actually, you see. Here are American, European boys and girls. They have forgotten that they are American or European or they come from Christian group or Jewish group. Similarly, we should also forget that "I am Hindu," "I am Muslim," or "I am brahmana," "I am sudra," "I am ksatriya." No. This is the only platform, Krsna consciousness, where we can unite on spiritual platform. We cannot be united by resolutions. Just like the United Nations: they are trying for the last thirty years to become united -- simply resolution. On that platform we cannot be united. On political platform or social platform, that is not possible, because the designations are there. When we are free from designation, sarvopadhi-virnirmuktam tat-paratvena nirmalam, when we are purified, then we can unite in the service of the Lord, Krsna. That is real unity. Hrsikena hrsikesa-sevanam... [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. That is Vaikuntha platform. Just like in Vaikuntha, the Vaikunthesvara, Narayana, or Krsna, He's the central point of service. Just like in Vrndavana... The Vrndavana... The animals, the birds, the beasts, the water, the trees, the flowers, the cowherds boy -- everyone -- center is Krsna. That is Vrndavana. They did not know that Krsna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, but they loved Krsna with their heart and soul. That is Vrndavana. So if we come to this point of Krsna consciousness and simply learn how to love Krsna, then we can create the whole world as Vrndavana. Unfortunately, even in the Vrndavana, at the present moment, because our desires have been something else other than serving Krsna, there are so many factions. The center is missing.

So Krsna consciousness movement means to purify our senses from the designation and engage the senses in the service of the Lord. Hrsikena hrsikesa-sevanam bhaktir ucyate [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. That is described here. That is wanted. It is called bhakti. "In our conditional state our senses are engaged in serving these bodily demands. When the same senses are engaged in executing the order of Krsna, it is called bhakti." This is bhakti. Just like Arjuna. Arjuna served Krsna by his talent. He was a soldier; he knew how to fight. So by, for his personal consideration, he was thinking not to fight, not to kill the other side, because the other side happened to be his kinsmen, his grandfather, his brother, his nephews. So he was thinking in terms of his own sense gratification, because "The other side, if they are killed, I'll be unhappy." That was his consideration. Therefore he was not willing to fight. And to induce him to become Krsna conscious, the whole Bhagavad-gita was explained. And at the end Krsna asked Arjuna, "What is your decision?" Yathecchasi tatha kuru [Bg. 18.63]. "You can do whatever you like. I have given you instruction, full instruction. Now whatever you like, you can do." This means every living entity has got a little independence. Krsna, or God, does not interfere with that independence. Yathecchasi tatha kuru. At the last, also, Krsna says, sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja [Bg. 18.66]. "You do it." Krsna can instruct us, "You do it." If I don't do it, that is my option. That option is always there. Krsna does not oblige me. Otherwise, what is the difference between me and the stone? The stone has no independence. But I am a living entity; I have got my independence. So do you... Krsna does not interfere with my independence. Voluntarily, if we surrender to Krsna, voluntarily if we serve Him, then our life is successful. Voluntarily. Hitva anyatha-rupam svarupena vyavasthitih [SB 2.10.6]. We can become immediately liberated if we give up our designated post. If we simply come to the platform of Krsna consciousness, then immediately we become liberated. So many sages and saintly persons are trying to become liberated, mukta, to merge into the existence of impersonal Brahman. But because they have no information of Krsna, or they do not like to surrender to Krsna, they fall down. Aruhya krcchrena param padam tatah patanty adhah [SB 10.2.32].

So we must stick to Krsna consciousness without any designative ideas. We must stand on the transcendental platform. Sa gunan samatityaitan brahma-bhuyaya kalpate [Bg. 14.26]. Transcendental platform means above the three modes of material nature, which is called brahma-bhutah. So this position, brahma-bhutah's position... Without being in brahma-bhutah position, liberated stage, nobody can be engaged in devotional service.

brahma-bhutah prasannatma
na socati na kanksati
samah sarvesu bhutesu
mad-bhaktim labhate param
 [Bg. 18.54]

Bhakti begins when is..., one is actually liberated from the influence of the modes of material nature. That is real bhakti.
The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, November 2, 1972

The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. PART 8.

Bhakti begins when is..., one is actually liberated from the influence of the modes of material nature. That is real bhakti. Otherwise, when you are, we are in training, that is called prakrta-bhakta. Actually, we are in the material state, but we are being trained up, the Deity worship. This is, following the rules and regulations under the instruction of spiritual master. Or Vedic injunction, this is training period. But even in the training period, if one is sincere and serious, he's liberated. He's liberated. It is so nice. Krsna consciousness is so nice that even in the training period, although he's not mature, and even one falls immature stage, there is no loss. That is also confirmed by Narada Muni: tyaktva sva-dharmam caranambujam harer patet tato yadi apakva... [SB 1.5.17]. There is a verse like this -- I don't exactly remember -- that if one is engaged in Krsna consciousness and, and without being mature, somehow or other, if he falls down, there is no loss, whereas other persons, who are sticking to their sva-dharma, but has no idea of Krsna consciousness, he does not gain anything. These are the statements of Narada. Therefore our position should be, our real active life begins when we begin to serve Krsna with our senses without being designated, without being situated in designation. This is transcendental stage.

Therefore a bhakta, Vaisnava, Vaisnava should not be considered that he's coming from European group or this group or that group. No. Vaisnave jati-buddhih. Vaisnava should not be considered belonging to any jati. Vaisnave, arcye sila-dhir gurusu nara-mati. Just like we worship Deity. Everyone knows that Deity is made of stone, but do we worship the stone? Do we construct so big, big temples for worshiping a piece of stone? No. Unless one has got this connection, that "Here is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Saksad brajendra-nandana..." Just like Caitanya Mahaprabhu saw Jagannatha Temple and immediately fainted. He saw saksad brajendra-nandana Hari, Krsna, immediately. So we have to learn how to see Vaisnava and Visnu. That is Krsna consciousness movement. That means we have to purify our senses. Then we can see Krsna always.

premanjana-cchurita-bhakti-vilocanena
santah sadaiva hrdayesu vilokayanti
yam syamasundaram acintya-guna-svarupam
govindam adi-purusam tam aham bhajami
 [Bs. 5.38]

One has to smear the eyes with the ointment of love, how to love Krsna. Then one can see Krsna always within his heart. And one who has learned this art, how to see Krsna within himself, within his heart always... Krsna certifies, "He's the topmost yogi."

yoginam api sarvesam
mad-gata antaratmana
sraddhavan bhajate yo mam
sa me yuktatamo matah
 [Bg. 6.47]

These are clear things. There is no hazy idea. Everything is clear. We have to become designationless, free from designation. We shall forget. Not that "Here are some foreigners. Pick up some quarrel with them and try to drive them away. Why they have come?" So many nonsense things are going on, for want of actual spiritual education. This is not good, at least, for Vrndavana. This is not good. People have not been educated properly with the Vrndavana spirit. Therefore things are happening like that. Sarvopadhi-vinirmuktam: [Cc. Madhya 19.170] how to engage the senses, being freed from designation, in the service of the Lord. That is Vrndavana life. That is Vrndavana atmosphere. If there is any other purpose than this, then it is very difficult to utilize the opportunity, the fortune of living in Vrndavana. One has to be designationless. Go on.

Pradyumna: "As long as one identifies himself as belonging to a certain family, a certain society, or a certain person, he is said to covered with designations. When one is fully aware that he does not belong to any family, society, or country, but is eternally related to Krsna, he then realizes that his energy should be employed not in the interests of so-called family, society or country, but in the interests of Krsna. This, this is purity of purpose and the platform of pure devotional service in Krsna consciousness."

Prabhupada: So our purpose... The Krsna consciousness movement is started with this summary idea, that nobody should think himself as belonging to certain family or sect or religion or country or nation. All these designations have created havoc in the world, these false designations. When I think that "This country is mine," it is a false designation. Country is not mine. I am a guest here. If I stay in a country, in a place, for, say, twenty years, fifty years, hundred years, does it, does it mean that it belongs to me? Because they have no Krsna conscious idea, they are misled in thinking in that way. Some group of men are thinking that "This is our country. We are American," "We are Indian," "We are German." This is the false... Illusion. Actually, everything belongs to Krsna. Krsna says, bhoktaram yajna-tapasam sarva-loka-mahesvaram [Bg. 5.29]. He's the proprietor. But because people are not educated in Krsna consciousness, they are thinking, "I am the proprietor." Aham mameti janasya moho 'yam [SB 5.5.8]. This aham mama, increasing the aham mama, is illusion. It is maya. And that is going on. Therefore there is great need of spreading Krsna consciousness in the human society. Those who are actually welfare workers, they should come forward and join this movement to spread it. Actually, it is being accepted very nicely. Although not nicely, they have begun to accept it all over the world. This is our experience. And if we present the philosophy in correct viewpoint, people will accept it. And people will accept it, and people from all parts of the world will come to Vrndavana. Because they are hearing about Vrndavana, about Krsna, naturally they are very much anxious to visit. But if we do not receive them nicely, if we remain sectarian, oh, it will be an unfortunate thing. That is my request. Those who are inhabitants of Vrndavana, they should be prepared to receive these foreigners, who are being educated in Krsna consciousness. They should come here to visit; so they should be received, they should be welcomed. That is my request. Yes. Next.

Pradyumna: " 'The Characteristics of Pure Devotional Service.' In the Srimad-Bhagavatam, Third Canto, Twenty-ninth Chapter, 10th verse, Srila Kapiladeva, while instructing His mother, has given the following characteristics of pure devotional service: 'My dear mother, those who are My pure devotees, and who have no desire for material benefit or philosophical speculation, have their minds so much engaged in My service that they are never interested in asking Me for anything -- except to be engaged in that service. They do not even beg to live in My abode with Me.' "

Prabhupada: Yes. This is pure devotional purpose. Natural. "Here is a Krsna devotee." How much one should be glad to see a Krsna devotee. Naturally, his love for a Krsna devotee should enhance. That is pure devotion. Just like in foreign country, when one Indian meets another Indian, naturally, he has got some tendency: "Oh, wherefrom you are coming? How long you are here?" This conversation goes on. Similarly, natural flow of Krsna consciousness is that as soon as one sees a person in Vaisnava symptoms, he should be eager to welcome him. He should be very much anxious to talk with him about Krsna, Krsna-katha. Bodhayantah parasparam tusyanti ca ramanti ca. Krsna conscious people should be so nice that as soon as they meet together, they talk about Krsna, they try to understand about Krsna, and they feel pleasure in that way. That is Krsna consciousness society. We are trying to make a Krsna consciousness society to give this opportunity to these people, how one should be engladdened by seeing one devotee and talk with them, one another, about Krsna, forgetting their designations. That is Krsna consciousness. Go on.

Pradyumna: "There are five kinds of liberation, namely, to become one with the Lord, to live with the Supreme Lord on the same planet, to have the same features as the Lord, to enjoy the same opulences as the Lord, and to live as a companion of the Lord. A devotee, not to speak of rejecting material sense gratification, does not even want any of the five kinds of liberation. He is satisfied simply by discharging loving service to the Lord. That is the characteristic of pure devotion."

Prabhupada: Yes. This is instructed by Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu. He rejects: na dhanam na janam na sundarim kavitam va jagadisa kamaye [Cc. Antya 20.29, Siksastaka 4]. The karmis, they want all these things. Na dhanam. Great riches, and beautiful wife, great followers. So Caitanya Mahaprabhu is rejecting these, and He's rejecting also liberation. Dhiyamanam na ghrnanti (?). A pure devotee is not interested even in liberation. That is pure devotee. That... Just like Bhaktivinoda Thakura, he says, kita janma ha-u yatha tuya dasa, bahir mukha brahma janme nahi mora asa. A devotee does not pray that "Give me this, give me that, give me that." No. He prays that "Whatever you like, if you like me to take birth as an insect, that's all right. But my only request is that I may become an insect in the house of a devotee so that I may get the chance of prosecuting my devotional service. I may eat the remnants of foodstuff eaten by the devotee." Just like Bharata Maharaja, he became a deer, but he was associating with saintly persons. He understood that "I was formerly King Bharata. My chance, my mind being absorbed in the thinking of a deer, I have become a deer. All right. Doesn't matter." So he was associating with devotees. Similarly, a devotee is not interested to become liberated, go back to home, back to Godhead. Of course, even if he's not interested, Krsna takes him. Tyaktva deham punar janma naiti mam eti [Bg. 4.9]. That is natural. But that is not our... We don't pray to Krsna for anything of sense gratification. Caitanya Mahaprabhu therefore said, mama janmani janmani isvare bhavatad bhaktir ahaituki tvayi. Ahaituki apratihata. Our simply, simple desire is how to be engaged in the service of the Lord. Janmani janmani. When, when Caitanya Mahaprabhu speaks janmani janmani, that means He rejects liberation also. Na dhanam na janam na kavitam va yace. This is the karmi's, jnani's... And even liberation. He rejects liberation. Mama janmani. If one is liberated, then where is the question of janmani janmani? So liberation is also not aspired by a devotee. These are the characteristics of pure devotion. This chapter is "Characteristics of Pure Devotional Service." Pure devotional service should be without any desire, anyabhilasita-sunyam [Brs. 1.1.11]. The others, they are trying to make Krsna-sunyam, sunyavadi; our attempt should be to make our desires sunyam. Simply we be engaged in the service of the Lord. That is pure devotion. Go on, one paragraph more. What is the time now?

Pradyumna: "In the above statement by Kapiladeva from the Srimad-Bhagavatam, the actual position of a pure devotee is described, and the primary characteristics of devotional service are also defined. Further characteristics of devotional service are described by Rupa Gosvami with evidences from different scriptures. He states that there are six characteristics of pure devotional service, which are as follows: (1) Pure devotional service brings immediate relief from all kinds of material distress. (2) Pure devotional service is the beginning of all auspiciousness."

Prabhupada: Srila Prabodhananda Sarasvati has described,

visvam purna-sukhayate vidhi-mahendradis ca kitayate
yat-karunya-kataksa-vaibhavavatam gauram eva stumah
(Caitanya-candramrta 5)

When actually one comes in the platform of devotional service, for him, there is no problem. The whole world is disturbed, agitated with so many problems, but for a devotee, there is no problem. Visvam purna-sukhayate. And they are trying, the whole world is trying to become very big man. Somebody's trying to be very big merchant or big industrialist, or minister, or this or that, and others, they are trying to occupy the post of Indra, Candra, devata. That is competition, going on. As soon as there is some competition, even persons, demigods, like Indra, Candra, they become disturbed, and they try to stop it. But a devotee has no such concern. He's not disturbed. Because he's engaged in the service of the Lord, he feels so much happy that he has no disturbance. Visvam purna-sukhayate. Neither he is anxious to occupy any very big post. Because for a devotee, vidhi-mahendradis ca kitayate. He knows that "What is this position? Say, for some years, ten years, twenty years, fifty years, hundred years, millions years." It is limited. As soon as the limited span of life is finished, either in this world, either in this planet, or in other planets... Suppose I go to the heavenly planet, I occupy the post of Indra. What is that? It is also limited. Ksine punye martya-lokam visanti [Bg. 9.21]. So long you have got assets of pious activities, you can occupy such post; then again come down. A-brahma-bhuvanal lokah punar avartino 'rjuna [Bg. 8.16]. So in this way we are wandering from up, down, down, up. In this way. Caitanya Mahaprabhu therefore said,

ei rupe brahmande kono bhagyavan jiva
guru-krsna-krpaya paya bhakti-lata-bija
 [Cc. Madhya 19.151]

We are wandering, life after life, in different species of life, different forms of life, in different planetary system. And that is going on. This is not progress. Where is progress? You are conditioned within this universe. Where is your progress? Suppose you... Just like if I jump with a limited space, where is my progress? Real progress is Krsna consciousness. Tyaktva deham punar janma naiti [Bg. 4.9]. If we actually want to make progress, then we must take to Krsna consciousness so that after leaving this body there is no more coming down to accept a material body. That is real progress. Otherwise, there is no progress. It is simply wandering with a limited space. That is not progress at all. But because we are in illusion, we are thinking it is progress. It is not progress.

The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, November 2, 1972

The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. PART 8 B.

Pradyumna: (reading) "4) Pure devotional service is rarely achieved. 5) Those in pure devotional service..."

Prabhupada: Page number? Page number?

Pradyumna: Page 2. "Those in pure devotional service deride even the conception of liberation. 6) Pure devotional service is the only means to attract Krsna. Krsna is all attractive, but pure devotional service attracts even Him. This means that pure devotional service is even transcendentally stronger than Krsna Himself, because it is Krsna's internal potency."

Prabhupada: So six advantages. These are the immediate result of taking to Krsna consciousness. Pure devotional service brings immediate relief from all kinds of material distress. There is a song of Bhaktivinoda Thakura: manasa deha geha yo kichu mora, arpilun tuya pade nanda-kisora. The purport of this song is when we surrender to Krsna, pranair arthair dhiya vaca, then we get relief from all kinds of anxieties. This is very simple to understand. Everyone is, in the material world, here, everyone is full of anxieties. That is the nature of material existence. One after another, problems. So if somebody says, assures, that "You just depend on me. I take charge of all your problems," how much relief you will feel. Just imagine. So an ordinary man, if some ordinary human being says (to) a friend that "Don't worry. I shall take charge of your all affairs. Don't worry," so we may doubt an ordinary man, because we know the capacity of an ordinary man. But when Krsna says that "I take charge of you," then how much relief you should feel. Krsna is not ordinary man. Krsna is all-powerful, the Supreme Personalty of Godhead. He's Yogesvara. He's the Absolute Truth. So when He assures that "I take charge of you...," aham tvam sarva-papebhyo moksayisyami [Bg. 18.66], gives assurance that "I shall get you liberated, delivered, from the reaction of all sinful activities..."

We suffer due to our sinful activities. That is the general meaning of suffering. For pious activities we enjoy. But in this material world, either we enjoy or suffer, the common factor is suffering. Suppose if for my pious activities I get good birth, janmaisvarya-sruta-sri [SB 1.8.26]. By pious activities, we get birth in good family, janma; aisvarya, we get sufficient riches, wealthy family, wealthy parents; janmaisvarya-sruta, good education; and sri, beauty. These are the result of pious activities. But to take birth in the family of a king or very rich man, the sufferings of taking birth is the same. As the poor man suffers within the womb of his mother, similarly the rich man also suffers within the womb of his mother. The sufferings of taking birth is equal to the poor man and rich man. There is no difference. When there is disease, fever, it is not it is less painful to the rich man and very painful to the poor man. The pain is the same. So actually, so long there is material existence, the so-called suffering and enjoying, they're on the same level. There is no difference. But if we take to Krsna consciousness, as Krsna assures, aham tvam sarva-papebhyo moksayisyami [Bg. 18.66], "I shall get you relieved, released from all kinds of sinful activities." That is real auspiciousness. Means when Krsna takes charge, He gradually educates the devotee buddhi-yogam, in devotion service, so that he may go back home, back to Godhead, Krsna. That is real auspicity. In the material world, so-called auspicity, to become very rich, to become very educated, to become very beautiful, high parentage, they are also, in material consideration, they are auspicity, undoubtedly. But they are also adulterated with so many sufferings, threefold miseries: adhyatmika, adhibhautika, adhidaivika. So actually such position is not auspicity. Real auspicity is go back to home, back to Godhead. Therefore it is said, pure devotional service... Pure devotional service means without any material motive. Anyabhilasita-sunyam jnana-karmady-anavrtam [Brs. 1.1.11].

So pure devotional service is the beginning of all auspiciousness. All-auspiciousness means go back to home, back to Godhead. So if we stick to pure devotional service, follow the rules and regulations, chant sixteen rounds, be engaged always in the service of the Lord, then ultimate gain is that tyaktva deham punar naiti mam eti kaunteya. (reads:) "Pure devotional service automatically puts one in transcendental pleasure." Transcendental pleasure and material pleasure, there is difference. Material pleasure means sense gratification, and transcendental pleasure means satisfaction of Krsna. A devotee is satisfied seeing Krsna is pleased. That is their satisfaction -- through Krsna. Material pleasure means direct sense perception, and spiritual pleasure means by, through Krsna. If Krsna is satisfied, then the devotee is satisfied. Just like a tree, the leaves and twigs become satisfied through the root of the tree. So Krsna is the root. Krsna is the origin of everything. Aham sarvasya prabhavo mattah sarvam pravartate [Bg. 10.8]. So transcendental pleasure mean feeling of pleasure through Krsna. Just like the gopis and Krsna. Gopis, when they saw Krsna is pleased, they became happy, and Krsna, when He saw that the gopis are happy, He become happier. Again the gopis sees that Krsna is happier, they, again they become more happy. In this way, there is competition of happiness. The gopis sees Krsna happier; they feel happiness, and Krsna sees gopis happier; Krsna feels happiness. This word is described in the Caitanya-caritamrta: dui lagi hura huri (?). This is spiritual competition.

So: "Pure devotional service automatically puts one in transcendental pleasure." In the material pleasure, if I see you happy, I am unhappy; If I see you unhappy, I become happy. This is nature. I may say otherwise, but material nature is, if one is put into difficulty, then I become very happy, and if I am happy, others become envious. This is material pleasure. Whereas spiritual pleasure means that when one sees Krsna is happy, a devotee's happy, the other devotee becomes happier. That is spiritual pleasure. In the spiritual world there is competition, but when one is advanced, the competitor become happy: "Oh, he's so advanced. I could not do so." There is no enviousness. In the material world, if one is advanced, other, who is not advanced, he's envious. This is the difference between spiritual pleasure and material pleasure. It is not difficult to understand. Material pleasure means if you are happy, I become unhappy; if you are unhappy, then I become happy. This is material pleasure. And spiritual pleasure means by seeing your happiness, I become happy. By seeing... But there is no distress in the spiritual world. Simply by seeing the happiness of other devotee, another devotee becomes happier.

"Pure devotional service is rarely achieved." That is the criterion. Pure devotional has got so many advantages, but it is very difficult. It is very difficult. Na janma-koti-sukrtibhih na labhyate. Pure devotional service, even after endeavoring, endeavoring for millions and millions of births, it is very difficult to achieve. Pure devotional service can be achieved only through the mercy of a pure devotee. Otherwise, it is not possible.

mahiyasam pada-rajo 'bhisekam
niskincananam na vrnita yavat
naisam matis tavad urukramanghrim
sprsata, sprsata...
 [SB 7.5.32]

What is that? The purpose is that unless one takes the dust of the lotus feet of a pure devotee, it is not possible to become a pure devotee. Mahiyasam pada-rajah, mahiyasam, great personality, great devotee. Pada-rajah means the dust of the lotus feet; abhisekam, taking to the, on the head. Mahiyasam pada-rajo 'bhisekam niskincananam. Mahiyasam, great personality means niskincana. Bhagavad-bhakta is niskincana. He has no more material obligation. That is Bhagavad-bhakta. Caitanya Mahaprabhu says, niskin..., niskin..., bhagavad, niskincanasya bhagavad bhajanon mukhasya. Bhagavad-bhajanomukha means niskincana, no material obligation, no material duty. Nayam rni na kinkara rajan sarvatmana ye saranam saranyam gato mukundam. Anyone who has completely taken shelter of the lotus feet of Krsna, saranam saranyam gato mukundam parihrtya kartam, giving up all other duties, tyaktva sva-dharmam caranambujam harer [SB 1.5.17], if one takes shelter of Krsna's lotus feet, giving up all other duties... There are so many duties. You have got duty towards your family, towards your kinsmen, towards your country, towards the animals, other living entities, your obligation to the demigods, great saintly persons, rsis. We are reading Vedas, but it is given by Vyasadeva, so we are indebted to him. Similarly, many other sastras we read. So we are indebted. Devarsi, rsi, devata, the demigods. We are taking sunshine. We are obliged to sun-god. We are taking moonshine. We are obliged to moonshine, uh, moon-god, the air-god, Varuna. Everyone, they are helping us. We cannot do without this. You cannot live without water. You cannot live without light. You cannot live without heat. So who is supplying? Of course, Krsna is supplying, but we cannot see Krsna directly. They are being supplied by different demigods. Therefore deva-yajna is recommended. Deva-yajna means, ultimately, to satisfy Krsna. So these are the processes. But if one takes to Krsna consciousness, he has no more obligation to all these devatas. Devarsi-bhutapta-nrnam pitrnam [SB 11.5.41]. We have got so many obligations, but if you take to Krsna consciousness, everyone will be pleased, and you haven't got to oblige them by your service to them. Otherwise, you are bound to give them obeisances for their beneficial contribution.

So devotional service is rarely achieved. Rarely achieved means if you achieve, then you become free from all obligation. Na janma-kotibhih sukrtibhih. Tatra laulyam eka-mulyam na labhyate yad janmabhih sukrtibhih. Krsna consciousness can be achieved simply by your intense desire that "This life I shall try to achieve favor of Krsna." Krsna will help you. Tesam satata-yuktanam bhajatam priti-purvakam, buddhi-yogam dadami tam [Bg. 10.10]. If you are actually seriously engaged in Krsna consciousness, then Krsna gives us intelligence how to approach Him. So pure devotional service is rarely achieved. But by chance, guru-krsna-krpaya paya bhakti-lata-bija [Cc. Madhya 19.151], if we somehow or other come in contact with bona fide guru and Krsna... Krsna is already there. We are already in touch. And if we are serious, then by grace of Krsna, we get niskincana, a devotee, and by his grace we achieve to the platform of devotional service. Otherwise it is very difficult. Not by executing karma, jnana, yoga. No. Bhaktya mam abhijanati [Bg. 18.55]. Simply you have to take pure devotional service. Therefore it is very difficult. People do not wish to come to the pure devotional service. They want hodgepodge: something this, something that, something that. No. Sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam... [Bg. 18.66]. That is the beginning of pure devotional service. No other engagement. Simply Krsna. That is pure devotional service. But that is very difficult to achieve. People will not accept the simple thing. You give them big, big formulas, yoga system, astanga-yoga, they'll like it: "It is something." Just like in homeopathic medicine, because it has no taste, there is no trouble to drink, people do not believe in it. But if you give them some very bitter, pungent medicine, "Oh, it is something." Similarly, if you give the simple process, as Caitanya Mahaprabhu has given us, harer nama harer nama harer nama eva kevalam, kalau nasty eva nasty eva nasty eva gatir anyatha [Cc. Adi 17.21], they'll not take it very seriously. "Oh, simply by chanting Hare Krsna mantra, one will be liberated, and he'll go back...? Oh, this is exaggeration." They will say. But if you give them some difficult job, that "You press your nose in this way, you make your head downwards, and you exercise in this way, do...," they'll think, "Yes, it is something." So things are very easy, and one can achieve very easily, but they are reluctant to take the easiest process given by Krsna, given by Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Krsna is giving the easiest process, that "You surrender unto Me. I give you all possible help." We are not prepared to do that. Caitanya Mahaprabhu says that "You simply chant Hare Krsna. You'll achieve the highest perfection." Not we are prepared. Therefore it is said, "Pure devotional service is rarely achieved." People will not accept the simple thing. They want to make something very difficult, then it is all right.

"Those in pure devotional service deride even the conception of liberation." Yes. Muktih mukulitanjali sevate asman. A devotee does not care for mukti. Mukti... Why they will care for mukti? As soon as he's a pure devotee, Mukti is on his leg. Why he should try for mukti? Bilvamangala Thakura says, muktih mukulitanjali sevate asman. There is no need of separate endeavor for getting liberation. It is already there. Muktih mukulitanjali sevate asman dharmartha-kama-moksa samaya-pratiksah [SB 4.8.41].

Devotee: It's broken.

Prabhupada: (aside:) Eh? So don't try it. It is working?

Syamasundara: The fixture is broken. (conversation about light or something in background)

Prabhupada: Yes. So "Pure devotional service is the only means to attract..." "Those in pure devotional service deride even the conception of liberation." Mukti. Prabodhananda Sarasvati... Kaivalyam. Mukti's another name is kaivalya. "Everything is one. One, knowledge." That's all. So Prabodhananda Sarasvati says, kaivalyam narakayate. This conception of liberation, that "I have become one with the Supreme," it is, to a devotee, just like hell. Kaivalyam narakayate. They do not give very much value to such conception, to become one with the Supreme. Or liberation, mukti. And the, this is moksa-kami, those who are aspiring after... Nirbheda-brahmanu-sandhana, without any difference with the Supreme Brahman. That is called mukti, liberation. And tridasa-pur akasa-puspayate. And the karmis, they're aspiring after heavenly planets, tri-dasa-pur. Tri-dasa means thirty. So there are more than thirty millions of demigods in different planetary systems. They are called heavenly planets. So they are akasa-puspa. Akasa-puspa means a flower does not grow in the sky; it is something imaginary, phantasmagoria. Tri-dasa-pur akasa-puspayate. So karmis are interested in the akasa-puspa, heavenly planet. And the jnanis are interested in mukti. Karmi, jnani... And yogis are interested how to control the senses.

So tri... Prabodhananda Sarasvati Maharaja says that durdanta indriya-kala-sarpa-patali-protkhata-damstrayate. The senses are our enemies. That's all right. We also admit. The yogis try to control the senses and mind because they think of the senses just like serpent. Serpent, little touch by the lip, I mean, the tongue, immediately it causes death. So it is very dangerous. But Prabodhananda Sarasvati says that "We are not afraid of these serpents because protkhata damstrayate, the serpent is so long dangerous as long as it has got the poison teeth." Poison teeth. Protkhata-damstrayate. So if you take away the poison teeth, then, however big serpent it may be, nobody will be afraid. In the Bengali it is said, visnai kulapana cakra (?). If a serpent is known that his poison teeth has been taken away, so his big hood, hans phamsa (?), nobody will be afraid, one who knows that he has no poison teeth. A child may be afraid, but anyone knows... So for a devotee, the senses are there, but it is not like serpent. The dangerous point of sense, for sense gratification, that is taken away. That poison teeth is taken away. So therefore a devotee's not afraid of the senses. They can easily handle the senses because the senses are engaged in the service of the Lord, which means the poison teeth of the serpent of sense is taken away. Durdanta indriya-kala-sarpa-patali protkhata-damstrayate.

So pure devotional service rare... In this way, the point is that pure devotee does not give very much value to so-called liberation. Because so-called liberation, so-called... It is in this sense that we have seen many so-called liberated persons, muk..., vimukta-maninah. They considered that... Vimukta-maninah. Now, you'll be pleased to hear that one of the Mayavadi sannyasis in India, very well known, his disciples came to me to invite me because they are now seeing that their Mayavada philosophy has not been so much effective as devotional service. Practically. So they are now taking gradually to devotional service. They are trying to read Bhagavata, although they are habituated to malinterpret. But they have no other. They have finished their job. Now they are gradually coming to bhakti-marga. That is natural. If one is actually sincere, after suffering the distress of impersonalism, gradually they'll come to surrender to the person. Bahunam janmanam ante jnanavan mam prapadyate [Bg. 7.19]. So when one becomes devotee, jnanis, they give too much value to liberation, moksa, nirbheda-brahmanusandhana. But yogis, they give too much value for controlling the senses. Karmis, they give too much value to, to the acts of promotion to the heavenly planets. But for a devotee these things are very teeny. They don't care for these things. Neither for the karmis, or for the jnanis, or for the yogis. They are... Yam labdhva caparam manyate nadhikam tatah. A bhakta who has come to Krsna consciousness, pure devotional service, he has no more any desire for the resultant action of karmis, jnanis, and yogis. He's so fixed up. There are many examples. Just like Dhruva Maharaja, when he was offered "Anything you want," he wanted... Actually he wanted the kingdom of his father. But when he actually became fixed up in devotional service, he said, svamin krtartho 'smi varam na yace: [Cc. Madhya 22.42] "I have no more to ask anything material benediction, varam. No, I don't want." So Krsna consciousness is so nice that automatically one feels fulfillment of all desires. Therefore what they'll desire for liberation, for mukti? It is most insignificant thing.

The next is: "Pure devotional service is the only means to attract Krsna." You cannot attract Krsna. Krsna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, with full opulences. So you cannot attract Krsna by your richness, by your reputation, by your education, by your beauty or by your strength or renunciation. No. You cannot attract Krsna by all these things, because He's already full. You cannot attract by anything, any opulence, Krsna, because He's atmarama. But if you offer something to Krsna, it is for your benefit. The example is given: just like the original person is decorated, in the mirror the reflection of the person is also decorated. Similarly, if you decorate the Deity gorgeously, you will feel happy. Krsna has many devotees, or many things for being decorated. But if you, in the temple, if you offer Krsna all nice things, all nice flowers, all nice dress, all nice food, everything, everything, all nice, then you will feel happy. That is your interest. Therefore pure devotional service is the only means to attract Krsna. Attract Krsna... Krsna will be happy in this way, that you are doing so much for Krsna. Krsna has everything, but your devotional service, that sincerity of purpose, will attract. My Guru Maharaja used to say that "Do not try to see Krsna. Render your service in such a nice way that let Krsna see you." When Krsna sees you, then your mission is perfect. We cannot see... Atah sri-krsna-namadi na bhaved grahyam indriyaih [Cc. Madhya 17.136]]. We cannot perceive Krsna by our senses, but when our senses are engaged in satisfying Krsna, then Krsna sees us. Svayam eva sphuraty adhah. And when Krsna sees us, then our life is successful. And how Krsna can see us? Simply by our devotional service. Otherwise, you cannot satisfy Krsna by opulence, by education, by scholarship, by beauty, riches. No. These things Krsna has all perfectly. He's full with all these opulences. Bhaktya mam abhijanati [Bg. 18.55]. If you want to attract Krsna, then be engaged in pure devotional service.

The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, November 3, 1972

The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. PART 8 C.

Pradyumna: (reading): ...from page number two. " 'Relief from Material Distress.' In the Bhagavad-gita, the Lord says that one should surrender unto Him, giving up all other engagements. The Lord also gives His word there that He will protect such surrendered souls from the reaction of all sinful activities. Srila Rupa Gosvami says that the distresses from sinful activities are due both to the sins themselves and to sins committed in our past lives."

Prabhupada: Now, "Relief from Material Distress." There are two kinds of activities, pious activities and impious activities. Generally we understand by performing impious activities, we suffer, and by performing pious activities, we enjoy. But actually, in the material world there is no enjoyment. Krsnadasa Kaviraja Gosvami explains that dvaite bhadrabhadra sakali samana. In the material world, in the world of dualities, either we think "This is pious" or either we think "This is impious," they are practically on the same platform. We take it as pleasure. Just like several times I have explained, people here in this material world, they are working very hard all day and night. And, when they gain some material profit, after working so hard, they think that "This is profit. This is happiness." Actually, where is the happiness? If one is working very hard, where is the happiness? So this is called illusion. In the sastra it is said, "Generally, people in this material world, they are in..., in the rajo-guna." Therefore hard-working activities, they take it as pleasure.
The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, November 4, 1972

The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. PART 9.

In the sastra it is said, "Generally, people in this material world, they are in..., in the rajo-guna." Therefore hard-working activities, they take it as pleasure. If some saintly persons do not work, he is engaged in devotional service or meditation or chanting. Sometimes devotional service or meditation or chanting, sometimes it is misunderstood that these people are escaping, because they take it very nice to work very hard. Unless you work very hard, they take it as a process of escaping: "They, they're escaping the social obligation and other obligations by taking to mendicant life and living at the cost of others." So many things. So they like it, to work very hard.

But our Krsna consciousness movement is transferring that hard working to the business of Krsna. That tendency for hard working may be utilized. Just like the Mayavadi philosophers, they think that lust and anger, these are our enemies. Kama-krodha-lobha-moha-matsarya. But Narottama dasa Thakura says that the kama also can be utilized for Krsna's service. Kamam krsna-karmarpane. If one is very much attached to work for Krsna, that tendency for the karmis to work very hard for sense gratification, it can be utilized. It can be... Similarly, krodham bhakta-dvesi jane. Krodha, anger, is not good, but anger also can be utilized for Krsna's service. Just like Hanuman, he became angry upon Ravana for the sake of Lord Ramacandra, and he set fire in the golden city of Ravana, Lanka. So that anger was utilized for Lord Ramacandra's service. He never utilized anger for his personal sense gratification. In this way, everything can be dovetailed in the service of the Lord, and as I was explaining to other, there are six items, how devotional service, pure devotional service, is the only means to attract Krsna. To attract Krsna you cannot utilize your spirit or jnanis or yogis. You can attract Krsna simply by devotional service. Bhaktya mam abhijanati [Bg. 18.55]. Krsna says plainly that "Simply by devotional service, one can understand Me." Bhaktya mam abhijanati. So the activities of the karmis, when dovetailed in the service of Krsna, even by working so hard, our tendency, we can...

Actually, devotional service depends on the main principles, sravanam kirtanam visnoh smaranam pada-sevanam, arcanam vandanam dasyam [SB 7.5.23]. But within the category of dasyam,... Just like Hanuman, Hanumanji: he was engaged in the platform of dasyam. Arjuna was engaged in the platform of sakhyam. So they were also working very hard. The Battlefield of Kuruksetra, it was not a place of sitting down very easily and silently. When he was fighting, he was fighting just like a soldier. He took all the duties of a soldier. But it was being fought for Krsna. That is the attraction. That is pure devotional service. Krsna also gave him certificate: bhakto 'si priyo 'si [Bg. 4.3]. "My dear Arjuna, you are My dear friend and devotee." So by any action, if it is dovetailed for the satisfaction of Krsna, that is devotional service, and one can attract Krsna, attention of Krsna. Attention of Krsna can be attracted by pure devotional service, without any personal motive. If it is... And that motive, that order, is received through the disciplic succession of the spiritual master, how Krsna will be pleased. In the present condition, we do not know how Krsna will be pleased, but we know from the sastras... We can know also from the direction of the spiritual master how Krsna will be pleased. Yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasadah **. So Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura says you have to follow the direction of the spiritual master. He's guiding as a leader. And if he's pleased, that means Krsna is pleased. Yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasadah **.

So devotional service is the only way. Karmi, karmi means they are working very hard for their personal benefit. Not for Krsna's benefit. Similarly, jnanis, they are also trying for personal benefit, mukti. He wants mukti, liberation, nirbheda-brahmanu-sandhana. And similarly, yogis also, they want personal benefit, some material power, asta-siddhi-yoga, anima-laghima-siddhi. Bhukti-mukti-siddhi-kami sakali asanta. Caitanya-caritamrta Kaja says except pure devotee, who only wants to satisfy Krsna, everyone is working for his personal benefit, karmi, jnani, yogi. But Krsna says, "Pure devotional service..." Not... Rupa Gosvami says, "Pure devotional service is the only means to attract Krsna." Now... But ignorance is no excuse. Go on reading. Next. "Generally, one commits sinful activities..."

Pradyumna: "...due to ignorance. But ignorance is no excuse for evading the reaction -- sinful activities."

Prabhupada: Yes. Generally we commit sinful activities knowingly; if not knowingly, unknowingly. Just like we are walking on the street, we are killing so many ants, unknowingly. So that is also sinful activities. You do not know, you do not want to kill the ants, but still, unknowingly, you are killing. When you take water from the jug, there are so many animals encircling the water jug, and when you take water some of them die. When we make paste on the pestle and mortar, spices, so many small insects die. That is going on. So knowingly or unknowingly, we are committing sinful activities. So how to save? That is replied in the Bhagavad-gita: yajnarthe karma anyatra loko 'yam karma-bandhanah [Bg. 3.9]. If you do not act, or if you do not engage yourself in Krsna consciousness business, then you are becoming implicated with so many sinful activities. That is sure. Therefore one has to take to Krsna consciousness without fail. Otherwise he'll be entangled, karma-bandhanah. Even if he's doing pious activities, he's becoming entangled in karma-bandhanah, in bondage. He has to take birth. Pious activities means he has to take birth in nice family, rich family. That is also bandhana. He has to enter into the womb of the mother and live there for ten months, in compact, air-tight, compact bag. That is not very good living condition. But we forget all these things, neither we do not care for all these things. But actually fact is, knowingly or unknowingly, we are becoming implicated. But if we simply take to Krsna consciousness and if we engage ourself in His unalloyed devotional service, if we try to understand Krsna, His activities, His form, His name, His quality, His paraphernalia, then the result will be, as Krsna says, tyaktva deham punar janma naiti mam eti [Bg. 4.9]. There is no question of reaction. Because Krsna says... Even we are doing... That we are bound to do, as I have already explained, that, knowingly or unknowingly, we are committing sinful activities. But Krsna gives His assurance: aham tvam sarva-papebhyo moksayisyami [Bg. 18.66]. So if he ... Of course, a devotee never does anything knowingly sinful, but unknowingly, he's doing. But Krsna is taking charge of him. Aham tvam sarva-papebhyo moksayisyami. So there, there is no question of grief.

Therefore the subject matter is relief from material distress. If you take to Krsna consciousness without any motive, sincerely, then your position is secured. Krsna takes charge of you. Kaunteya pratijanihi na me bhaktah pranasyati [Bg. 9.31]. His devotee will never be vanquished. Just like Arjuna. Arjuna was considering how he could kill his kinsmen, his familymen, his nephew, his brother, his grandfather, on the other side. Actually, this killing business is not very good. It is sinful. But the same thing he committed after understanding Bhagavad-gita. He agreed: karisye vacanam tava [Bg. 18.73]. "Yes, I shall fight." So does it mean...? In the beginning he was considering about the sinful effects of his activities. Why did he engage himself in the same business although he knew this is sinful? No. If you... Even it is acted so-called sinful activities, for Krsna, under the order of Krsna, for pleasing Krsna, then that is also devotion. It is very difficult. We should not manufacture such concoction. But the fact is that, if actually one is acting for Krsna, there is no question of sinful reaction. That's a fact. "Relief from material distress." And material distress means it is due to sinful activities. In another place, also, in the Brahma-samhita it is said, karmani nirdahati kintu ca bhakti-bhajam [Bs. 5.54]? Karmani. Everyone is being caught up by the action and reaction of karma, but a devotee is protected from the action and reaction of karma. Karmani nirdahati kintu ca bhakti-bhajam [Bs. 5.54]. So a devotee, a Krsna conscious person, remains free always, provided he's fully engaged in Krsna conscious activities for pleasing the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Go on.

Pradyumna: "Sinful activities are of two kinds: those which are mature and those which are not mature. The sinful activities for which we are suffering at the present moment are called mature. The many sinful activities stored within us for which we have not yet suffered are considered immature."

Prabhupada: Yes. This is also another position. The, the reactions of our sinful activities we are suffering. As soon as we get a material body -- it doesn't matter whether a rich man's body or a poor man's, poor man's body -- the material body is itself subjected to threefold miseries of this material condition. Therefore Arjuna was advised by Krsna: agama apayino anityah tams titiksasva bharata. You cannot avoid the miserable condition of this body. That is not possible. So we have to tolerate. There is no other excuse. But do not create another body. That is devotional service. Karmani nirdahati kintu ca bhakti-bhajam [Bs. 5.54]. Due to our past karma, we have got a certain type of body. Karmana daiva-netrena [SB 3.31.1]. By the supervision of superior order, superior vigilance, we get a certain type of body. This may be a king's body or a poor man's body, an animal body, or anything, we get. That is by superior order. So we should not create another body. That is the aim of human life. We should not create another body.

Then, another place in the Bhagavata it is said, nunam vikarma kurute, nunam, prammattah kurute vikarma. Prammattah. Prammattah. Pra means prakrsta-rupena. Mattah, mad. We are living entities. We have come here in this material world for sense enjoyment, and we are therefore mad after it, prammattah. So nunam prammattah kurute vikarma. Vikarma means which is against the laws. Just like karma, akarma, vikarma. These are explained. So vikarma means against the law. The Vedic version, they give us that "You should work in this way." But if we do not act according to the Vedic injunctions, that is called vikarma. And we become subjected to sufferings, impious activities. But we do it because we are mad after sense gratification. We do not care. Just like a thief, he knows that by stealing he'll be punished, but still, because he's mad after stealing, he'll do it, taking the risk of being arrested and being harassed. Nunam prammattah vikarma, nunam prammattah kurute, yad indriya-pritaya aprnoti. And they are mad after doing all this nonsense only for sense gratification. So Rsabhadeva says, na sadhu manye, "This is not good." Yata atmano 'yam. "As we have got this body, material body miserable..." Because as soon as you get a material body, you are put into the miserable condition of material nature. So we should not create another body so that we shall be put into, under tribulation again. That is intelligence.

So if we put ourself in the activities of devotional service, we save that risk. Not to create another body. If we do for indriya-priti, yad indriya-pritaya aprnoti, then we create another body. But if you act in devotional service, then, even there are something, sinful activities, karmani nirdahati kintu ca bhakti-bhajam [Bs. 5.54]. So for a devotee, he's saved. He's saved from creating another new material body. In this way, the stress is given that sinful or not sinful, we should not create another body. Karma-kanda. In the... Narottama dasa Thakura says:

karma-kanda jnana-kanda, sakali visera bhanda
amrta baliya yeba khaya
nana yoni brahman kare, kadarya bhaksana kare
tara janma adhah-pate yaya

We should not take either to karma, karma-kanda, fruitive activities for elevating to the heavenly planets; jnana-kanda, for stopping birth and death and merge into the impersonal Brahman... That is jnana-kanda. So karma-kanda jnana-kanda. Narottama dasa Thakura says everything is visa bhanda, the poison pot. Why poison pot? Karma-kanda amrta yeba baliya khaya. If we drink poison pot, thinking it as nectar, then the result will be that we have to accept another body and we have to be under the tribulation of material nature. And sometimes we get the body of the King of Heaven, and sometimes we get the body of a hog for eating stool. This is going on. Nana yoni brahman kare. We have to wander in different species of life and we have to eat all abominable things. Tara janma adhah-pate yaya.

So we should not spoil our life in that way, for creating another body. We should be very careful that we may not create another material body. And what is that safety position? Krsna says, janma karma me divyam yo janati tattvatah [Bg. 4.9]. If you simply try to understand Krsna, how Krsna takes His birth, how He becomes the son of Devaki, son of Nanda Maharaja, how He becomes the son of Yasoda, these things, if we study, if we try to understand Krsna, if we don't accept Krsna as ordinary man -- avajanati mam mudha -- then, in this way, if we understand the science of Krsna, yei krsna-tattva-vetta sei guru haya [Cc. Madhya 8.128], if one understands the science of Krsna, he is spiritual master. Kiba vipra kiba sudra nyasi kene naya. It doesn't matter whether one is brahmana or one is a sudra or one is a sannyasi or one is a grhastha. It doesn't matter. If he knows the science of Krsna, yei krsna-tattva-vetta sei guru haya [Cc. Madhya 8.128], if he knows the science of Krsna... Yo janati tattvatah. Janma karma me divyam yo janati tattvatah [Bg. 4.9]. How that tattvatah, the truth can be understood, that is also explained by the Lord Himself: bhaktya mam abhijanati yavan yas casmi tattvatah [Bg. 18.55]. You cannot understand in truth, you cannot understand Krsna in truth by other process, karma, jnana, yoga. No. Bhaktya mam abhijanati [Bg. 18.55].

So we have to take to devotional service. Then we shall understand Krsna. Krsna will reveal. If you are engaged in Krsna's service constantly, tesam satata-yuktanam bhajatam priti-purvakam [Bg. 10.10]. If you have devoted, heart and soul, for service of Krsna, then Krsna is within your self. He'll give you intelligence. Buddhi-yogam dadami tam. He'll give you intelligence. He'll purify your heart. He'll purify your position. As you have read in the beginning of the Srimad-Bhagavatam:

srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah
punya-sravana-kirtanah
hrdy antah stho hy abhadrani
vidhunoti suhrt-satam
 [SB 1.2.17]

If you simply hear about Krsna. The process... To... Krsna-tattva-vetta means to hear about Krsna. That's all. Try to hear about Krsna. Satam prasangad mama virya-samvidah. That is very, what is called, potential. Simply if you hear from the right source of Krsna -- not from the professional, or from jnanis, karmis, or politicians. No. Pure devotee. Satam prasangad: in pure devotional service, in pure devotional mood. Then the potency will act and you will, we shall become more devotees. Khanera gita diya mora me pasile mora me pasile (?). It will act. And as soon as it will act, you become Krsna conscious, then your life becomes successful, above all sinful or pious activities. What is that? Samatityaitan. Mam ca avyabhicarena bhakti-yogena yah sevate, sa gunan samatityaitan [Bg. 14.26]. Samatitya. Samyag atitya. You can perfectly overcome the influence of the gunas, the three modes of material nature.

Because our suffering is due to association of the three gunas. Karanam guna-sango 'sya sad-asad-janma-yonisu [Bg. 13.22]. We are getting different types of body, either as a king or as a dog. Sat, asat. We think, "The king's body is very nice. Dog's body is not good." But whatever body we get, material body, that is not very good. Na sadhu manye yata atmano 'yam asann api klesada asa dehah [SB 5.5.4]. Any body, any type of body you get, you must suffer. It doesn't matter, European body, American body or Indian body or this body or that body. If we think, "Now we are Americans. We are very happy. You are Indians. You are poor..." No. Either poor or happy, it is all unhappiness. Karanam guna sango 'sya sad-asad. That is, means association with the modes of material nature. But if you engage yourself twenty-four hours in Krsna consciousness business, in devotional service, then sa gunan samatityaitan brahma-bhuyaya kalpate [Bg. 14.26], immediately you are on the brahma-bhutah position, liberated position. So just like one man is suffering from disease. Some way or other, if he comes in the, what is called, convalescent stage? Means freed from the diseased condition. But if he keeps that convalescent stage rightly, he do not, what is called, again...?

Devotee: Relapse.

Prabhupada: Relapse. If you do not relapse the disease, then you are nice. Similarly, to keep in Krsna consciousness means you are not diseased condition, but do not allow the disease to relapse. That means do not deviate from the devotional service. Mam ca avyabhicarena bhakti-yogena yah sevate. Avyabhicarini. Don't misuse the devotional service. Then you are all right. Sa gunan samatityaitan brahma-bhuyaya kalpate [Bg. 14.26]. Then you keep yourself always in transcendental position, brahma-bhutah position. And then from brahma-bhutah position, you can elevate yourself to the para bhakti, spontaneous. Para bhakti means spontaneously, spontaneous devotional service. Automatically, you will be loving Krsna.

brahma-bhutah prasannatma
na socati na kanksati
samah sarvesu bhutesu
mad-bhaktim labhate param
 [Bg. 18.54]

The under, after being in the brahma-bhutah stage, that devotional service is very sound. Para bhakti. Otherwise, if we stick to the devotional service of temple worship... Just like one is performing temple worship, regulative principles... That is also... We should go forward. This is kanistha-adhikari. Sa bhaktah prakrtah smrtah.

So we must elevate ourself to the second class devotee position. To become first-class devotee, that is very difficult job. We can expect after executing devotional service as a madhyama-adhikari. Then we can be promoted. But if we keep ourself simply on the lower stage of devotional service, then there is chance of falling down. Sa bhaktah prakrtah smrtah. Simply... Just like, generally, they keep in the kanistha-adhikari stage. Of course, there is no loss. In any adhikara, in any position, you are benefited because you have taken to devotional service. But our attempt should be from kanistha-adhikara to madhyama-adhikara. Madhyama-adhikara means preacher. Unless one comes to the madhyama-adhikara, he cannot preach. Because in the uttama-adhikara there is no need of preaching, because uttama-adhikara, he sees everything good. He does not think anyone is lacking Krsna consciousness. He says everyone is Krsna conscious, "Simply I am not Krsna conscious." Just like Kaviraja Gosvami says, purisera kita haite muni sei lagistha [Cc. Adi 5.205]. He sees himself lower than the worm in the stool... But he's not so, but he thinks like that. So uttama-adhikari, it is not to be imitated. One must keep himself in the madhyama-adhikari stage. Madhyama-adhikari stage means that one knows what is Krsna, isvara, one knows who is Krsna's devotee. Isvare tad-adhinesu. And one knows who is innocent, neither devotee nor nondevotee, and he knows who is nondevotee. This is preaching. In kanistha-adhikari, he knows simply how to worship the Deity. Arcayam eva haraye sraddhaya pujam sraddhayehate.

So it is the duty of the spiritual master to promote the devotees from the kanistha-adhikara to the madhyama-adhikara. Not to keep them. My Guru Maharaja, sometimes he used to lament because so many disciples he had, but nobody was coming out very nice preacher. He was lamenting, "So only kanistha-adhikaris, we are keeping simply people in the kanistha-adhikara and engaging them in the arcana-marga." So that is not required. They should not... A kanistha-adhikari does not know who is a devotee, na tad-bhaktesu canyesu, what is the duty to others. He is very busy in temple worship for his personal interest. That is also good. But one has to promote further to become a madhyama-adhikari and then analyze who is God, who is devotee, who is innocent, who is nondevotee, and behave in that way. So their business is to make friendship with devotee, to love Krsna, and to the innocent, preach, to enlighten them in Krsna consciousness. And those who are atheists, to avoid them. These four principles. So in this way, we should execute our devotional service. Then our life will be visvam purnam sukhayate. It will be very happy life. That is the heading, subject matter, "Relief from Material Distress." Immediately. If we actually keep ourself in devotional service according to the description given by Srila Rupa Gosvami, then we keep ourself fit in devotional service and there is no question of material distress.

Thank you very much. Hare Krsna.

Acyutananda: ...says first-class, second-class and third-class devotees, they are pure devotees.

Prabhupada: Yes, pure devotee is anyone who has no other motive except to serve Krsna. It doesn't matter he's first class, second class or third... Anyabhilasita-sunyam [Brs. 1.1.11]. If he has got some motive, then he's not pure devotee. He may be not advanced, but if he has not motive, then he's pure devotee. If he wants to utilize Krsna for his personal benefit, then he's not pure devotee. He's impure. So first of all he has to become pure devotee. (end)
The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, November 4, 1972

The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. PART 9 B.

Pradyumna: (reading:) "...committed criminal acts but is not yet arrested for them. Now, as soon as he is detected, arrest is awaiting for him. Is awaiting him. Similarly, for some of our sinful activities we are awaiting distresses in the future, and for others, which are mature, we are suffering at the present moment. In this way..."

Prabhupada: Yes. This is the chain of accepting different types of bodies, one after another. According to the sinful activities. On the total, without being sinful, nobody accepts this material body. Because in the Bhagavad-gita we understand: yesam anta-gatam papam, "One who has finished the reaction of his sinful activities," te dvandva-moha-nirmukta... [Bg. 7.28]. Yesam anta-gatam papam jananam punya-karmanam... Punya-karma. Punya-karma means the sublime punya-karma is devotional service. Sravanam kirtanam visnoh smaranam pada-sevanam [SB 7.5.23]. This is the topmost punya-karma. Because, as it is stated in the Bhagavata, srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah [SB 1.2.17]. Simply if we hear about Krsna, that is punya. Even you do not understand, do not take it very seriously, if we simply give aural reception to the words of Krsna, that activity itself is punya. Punya-sravana kirtanah. So one who has got, I mean, advanced in hearing about Krsna, that is the result of multiforms of multivarieties of pious activities. Vasudeva-katha-rucih [SB 1.2.16]. Vasudeva-katha-rucih is the resultant action... Krta-punya-punjah [SB 10.12.11]. These words are used. Just like when the cowherds boys were playing with Krsna, Sukadeva Gosvami said that "These boys are krta-punya-punjah. Heaps of pious activities they have performed; therefore they have got this chance of playing personally with the Supreme Personality of Godhead."

So, so long we are tinged with sinful activities, we have to accept different varieties of body, either the body of Lord Brahma or the body of an ant, indragopa, a small microbic insect, yas tv indragopam athavendram aho sva-karma [Bs. 5.54]. From this indragopa, the microscopic insect which is called indragopa insect, from this indragopa insect, to the real Indra, the King of Heaven, everyone is suffering or enjoying -- actually it is suffering -- the resultant action of his karma. It doesn't matter what kind of body a living entity has got, but the body itself is the symptom, is the sign that one is sinful. This is the conclusion of the sastra. Because as soon as one is free from sinful activities, at that time, he goes back to home, back to Godhead. Tyaktva deham punar janma naiti mam eti [Bg. 4.9]. So our, this material body is achieved due to sinful activities. And sinful activities are performed due to ignorance. Therefore knowledge is essential. Jnana-vairagya. These two things are essential in human life: knowledge and renunciation. Renunciation means sinful activities. Go on.

Pradyumna: "In this way there is a chain of sinful activities and their concomitant distresses, and the conditioned soul is suffering life after life due to these sins. He is suffering in the present life the results of sinful activities from his past life, and he is meanwhile creating further suffering for his future life. Mature sinful activities are exhibited if one is suffering from some chronic disease, if one is suffering from some legal implication, or if one is born in a low and degraded family, or if one is uneducated or very ugly."

Prabhupada: Hmmm. So the soul is within this body, encaged. Dehino 'smin yatha dehe [Bg. 2.13]. Due to ignorance, he is committing... Say, for, in our eating process, we are eating so many things out of ignorance which we should not eat, and creating the sinful reaction. Nana yoni bhraman kare, kadarya bhaksana kare. Narottama dasa Thakura says things which are not eatables, we eat, and we circumambulate various types of body. Nana yoni bhraman kare, kadarya bhaksana kare. Just like the hog is eating stool, kadarya, a very abominable thing, but it is eating. Similarly, many other forms of body. You are eating very abominable things on account of your particular type of body, and this is due to ignorance. And this ignorance is our greatest enemy. The human form of life is meant for acquiring knowledge, not to keep one in ignorance. Tamasi ma jyotir gamah. That is the Vedic injunction. "Don't keep yourself in darkness," darkness of ignorance. But jyotir gamah: "Go to the light." That is the Vedic injunction.

So the best knowledge, He's giving, Krsna Himself: Bhagavad-gita. He's coming personally to give knowledge. But we are so unfortunate, we are not accepting the knowledge given by Krsna. We are hankering after some other knowledge given by some defective human being. A human being cannot give us any perfect knowledge. Therefore all the scientists' statements, all the philosophers' statements, they are simply theories; they are not fact. Because the knowledge is not perfect. Perfect knowledge can be had from one who is not defective. Defective means generally a conditioned soul has four defects: he commits mistake, he is illusioned, he has got a cheating propensity, and his senses are imperfect. The senses, we are acquiring knowledge through our senses, and if our senses are imperfect, how we can acquire perfect knowledge? Just like we are trying to see the planetary system through microscope or binocular, telescope, but the telescope machine is manufactured by a person who is, whose senses are defective. So through the telescope, how you can have perfect knowledge? Therefore one astronomer is placing some theory. After some years, that is made null and void; another theory is presented. Because everyone's knowledge is imperfect. So we cannot expect perfect knowledge from the imperfect person. So our process of knowledge is different. Our pro..., Vedic process of knowledge is,

tad-vijnanartham sa gurum eva abhigacchet
samit-panih srotriyam brahma-nistham
 [MU 1.2.12]

One has to accept a guru, a spiritual master, who has received knowledge from another perfect spiritual master. Just like Krsna is the origin, perfect spiritual master, guru. So Krsna, what Krsna said, was realized by Arjuna, directly. Therefore if we receive knowledge from Arjuna or his disciplic succession, then our knowledge is perfect. Krsna..., Arjuna accepted Krsna as the Supreme Brahman: param brahma param dhama pavitram paramam bhavan [Bg. 10.12]. So if we accept the version of Arjuna, that Krsna is Param Brahman, He's the Supreme Person, He's the origin of everything, then our knowledge is perfect. I may be imperfect, but because I receive knowledge from a perfect person, my knowledge is perfect. This is called parampara system.

So in order to dissipate our ignorance, we should receive perfect knowledge. Then we can stop our sinful activities. Therefore Bhagavad-gita, Bhagavan says, Krsna says, janma karma me divyam. Krsna appears, Krsna lives here, He teaches, He acts. If we simply try to understand Krsna from the devotee of Krsna, then we become perfect, so much so that after giving up this body... Tyaktva deham punar janma naiti... [Bg. 4.9]. Without being perfect, without being free from all sinful reactions, we have to undergo the tribulation of accepting different types of body. But as soon as we become perfect through the perfect knowledge, then automatically we become uncontaminated from this material world and we become liberated. Liberated means, as I have several times explained, to be situated in his original position. Just like a, a person gets fever. When his fever is subsided, he's liberated, he's called liberated from the fever. Similarly, when we have perfect knowledge... What is that perfect knowledge? The perfect knowledge: to understand that "I am eternal servant of Krsna." This is perfect knowledge. This is perfect knowledge. Jivera svarupa haya nityera krsnera dasa [Cc. Madhya 20.108]. One has to understand this fact, that "I am not Krsna. I am not like Krsna. I am not equal to Krsna. I cannot become Krsna. I am Krsna's eternal servant." This is taught by Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Gopi-bhartur pada-kamalayoh dasa-dasanudasah [Cc. Madhya 13.80]. He, Caitanya Mahaprabhu, says, "I am not a brahmana. I am not a sudra. I am not a brahmacari. I am not a sannyasi." In this way... Because we identify with the varnasrama-dharma: "I am brahmana," "I am sannyasi," "I am brahmacari," "I am grhastha," "I am ksatriya." These are our designations. But when we become designation-free, then "I am not brahmana, I am not brahmacari, I am not this, I am not that. I am simply pure servant of Krsna." This is knowledge. Our otherwise, anything we identify, that is ignorance. This is knowledge.

So... And when we come to this knowledge, that "I am eternal servant of Krsna," then I am liberated. Muktir hitva anyatha rupam svarupena vyavasthitih [SB 2.10.6]. Hitva anyatha rupam. I am accepting a different type of body and different type of position, and I am identifying myself with that particular position. That is my ignorance. Although I am acting just like a perfect brahmana or perfect ksatriya or perfect vaisya, still, I am imperfect, because my perfection is not to act as a vaisya, brahmana, ksatriya, American, Indian, but to act as servant of Krsna. That is liberation. That is liberation. Sarvopadhi-vinirmuktam tat-paratvena nirmalam [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. Nirmalam means liberation. That nirmalam means sarvopadhi-vinirmuktam. The Vaisnava process is to become nirmalam. Tat-paratvena. A real, pure Vaisnava simply identifies himself as a servant of Krsna; therefore he's nirmalam, he's liberated. He does not identify himself as a ksatriya, brahmana, American, Indian. No. That is not his position. But so long I stick to this designation, I am not nirmala, I am samala, "with dirty things." So we have to be relieved from these dirty things and come to the original position of Krsna consciousness. Then our sinful activities and its reaction will be counteracted. Go on.

Pradyumna: "There are many results of past sinful activities for which we are suffering at the present moment, and we may be suffering in the future due to our present sinful activities, but all of these reactions to sinful deeds can immediately be stopped if we take to Krsna consciousness."

Prabhupada: Yes.

Pradyumna: "As evidence for this..."

Prabhupada: Krsna consciousness, if we take to Krsna consciousness, automatically we become immune from sinful activities. The devotional service... The mind, being engaged on the lotus feet of Krsna, as Ambarisa Maharaja did: sa vai manah krsna-padaravindayor vacamsi vaikuntha-gunanuvarnane... [SB 9.4.18]. Ambarisa Maharaja was very responsible emperor of the world, but he fixed up his mind on the lotus feet of Krsna and he engaged his words simply: vaikuntha-gunanuvarnane, simply describing the qualities, the transcendental qualities of Krsna. He used his eyes to see the Deity, he used his legs to go to the temple, he used his hands for cleansing the temple, he used his nose for smelling the flower and tulasi offered to Krsna, he used his tongue for tasting Krsna-prasadam. In this way, he engaged all his senses in the service of the Lord. So there was no chance of committing sinful activities by his body. It is, it can be done by everyone. Everyone can install Deity at his home and regularly worship the Deity according to the injunction of the sastras and spiritual master and eat prasadam and hear Vaik..., Srimad-Bhagavatam, chant and speak Hare Krsna. This is simple life. And one can become immune from all sinful reactions. The simple thing. Go on.

Pradyumna: "As evidence for this, Rupa Gosvami quotes from the Srimad-Bhagavatam, Eleventh Canto, Fourteenth Chapter, 18th verse. This verse is in connection with Lord Krsna's instruction to Uddhava, where He says, 'My dear Uddhava, devotional service unto Me is just like a blazing fire, which can burn into ashes unlimited fuel supplied to it.' The purport is that as the blazing fire can burn any amount of fuel to ashes, so devotional service to the Lord in Krsna consciousness can burn up all the fuel of sinful activities. For example, in the Gita, Arjuna thought that fighting was a sinful activity, but Krsna engaged him on the battlefield under His order, and so the fighting became devotional service. Therefore, Arjuna was not subjected to any sinful reaction."

Prabhupada: Yes. So the example is that the, in the fire, you go on giving fuel perpetually, it will burn into ashes. Similarly, it doesn't matter. To become sinful... Without Krsna consciousness, everyone is sinful. So to become sinful is not disqualification, because everyone is sinful. But if one takes to Krsna consciousness, Krsna consciousness is just like the fire, and the sinful activities are just like wood. But when the wood is in touch with the fire, so the fire would burn all the woods, fuel, into ashes. But we should not... Once we take to Krsna consciousness, we should stop the pillars of sinful activities. Whatever we did in our past life, that is excused, but if we take to Krsna consciousness, and if we go on with our sinful activities, that will not help us. Just like the same fire: you take the fuel and add to the fire, it will burn into ashes. But, at the same time, if you pour some water also, then it will be useless. Similarly, our past sinful activities, that can be burned into ashes provided we don't add any more. Don't take it: "Now it will burn into ashes. So go on, this business and that business." No. That business means pouring water into the fire. It will not burn. Go on.

Pradyumna: "Srila Rupa Gosvami quotes another verse from the Third Canto of Srimad-Bhagavatam, Thirty-third Chapter, 6th verse, in which Devahuti addresses her son, Kapiladeva, and says, 'My dear Lord, there are nine different kinds of devotional service, beginning from hearing and chanting. Anyone who hears about Your pastimes, who chants about Your glories, who offers You obeisances, who thinks of You, and in this way executes any of the nine kinds of devotional service -- even if he is born in a family of dog-eaters (the lowest grade of mankind) -- becomes immediately qualified to perform sacrifices.' "
The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, November 5, 1972

The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. PART 10.

Pradyumna: "Srila Rupa Gosvami quotes another verse from the Third Canto of Srimad-Bhagavatam, Thirty-third Chapter, 6th verse, in which Devahuti addresses her son, Kapiladeva, and says, 'My dear Lord, there are nine different kinds of devotional service, beginning from hearing and chanting. Anyone who hears about Your pastimes, who chants about Your glories, who offers You obeisances, who thinks of You, and in this way executes any of the nine kinds of devotional service -- even if he is born in a family of dog-eaters (the lowest grade of mankind) -- becomes immediately qualified to perform sacrifices.' "

Prabhupada: Yes. Svado 'pi sadyah savanaya kalpate. This is the verse. Actually we have seen it. Last time, when I was coming via Philippines, so we have got a center there, and it is very nicely organized within six months by one of our devotees, Siddha-svarupa, Siddha-svarupananda Maharaja, and his colleague. So it is very nicely organized. And they are actually dog-eaters. These Philippines, they're dog-eaters. In these parts of the world, the Koreans, the Philippines, even the Chinese, some of the Japanese, they're dog-eaters. But even though they are dog-eaters, they attended the meeting and chanted with us so nicely, better than a so-called Vaisnava in India. Yes. They were so nice. It is practically seen. So that is also stated in the, confirmed in the Bhagavad-gita. Svado 'pi sadyah savanaya kalpate. If one dog-eater, a person born in the family of dog-eaters... Because the dog-eaters are considered lowest of the human kind, candala, sva-paca. In many places it is said. Aho bata svapaco 'pi gariyan yaj-jihvagre nama tubhyam. Sva-paca. Svapaca means dog-eaters. They also become glorious provided they chant offenselessly the Hare Krsna mantra. Aho bato svapaco 'to gariyan yaj-jihvagre nama tubhyam.

So Caitanya Mahaprabhu has given us... It is in the sastra. Caitanya Mahaprabhu has pointed out... The acarya's business... Everything is there in the sastra. Acarya does not invent anything. That is not acarya. Acarya simply points out, "Here is the thing." Just like in the darkness of night we cannot see anything perfectly or cannot see anything, but the, when there is sunrise, the sunrise, effect of sunrise is that we can see things as they are. The things are not manufactured. There is already... The things are al... The houses, the town and the everything is there, but when there is sunrise we can see everything nicely. Similarly, acarya, or incarnation, they do not create anything. They simply give the light to see things as they are. So Caitanya Mahaprabhu pointed out this verse from Brhad-naradiya Purana. The, the verse was already in the Brhad-naradiya Purana.

harer nama harer nama harer nama iva kevalam
 [Cc. Adi 17.21]

This verse was already there in the Brhad-naradiya Purana, the indication of our activities in the age of Kali. Caitanya Mahaprabhu, He pointed out. Although He is Krsna Himself -- He could manufacture so many things -- but He did not do so. That is acarya. Acarya will not manufacture any new type of religion, a new type of phrase of Hare Krsna mantra. That is not potent. The... Just like Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. This is in the sastra. So that is potential. Now if we add and subtract something from these sixteen words, that is my manufacture. That will have not the potency. They do not understand it. They are thinking if they can manufacture some new line, adding with Hare Krsna, then he becomes particularly noted. But he spoils the whole thing. That is the... He does not make any new thing. The new thing he does, he spoils the whole thing. So Caitanya Mahaprabhu never did so, although He's Krsna Himself. He stuck to the point of sastra. Krsna, He is the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He also indicates: yah sastra-vidhim utsrjya vartate kama-karatah na siddhim savapnoti [Bg. 16.23]. He indicates that nobody can give up the injunction of the sastra. Brahma-sutra-padais caiva hetumadbhir viniscitaih [Bg. 13.5]. Krsna says. He can give. Whatever He says, that is sastra, that is Veda. But still, He gives reference to the sastra.

So acarya's duty is to point out the sastric injunction. They're already there in the Vedas. His duty is... Just like there are so many medicines. If you go to a drug shop, all of them are medicines, but the experienced physician, he gives you a medicine which is particularly suitable for you. You cannot say, "Sir, why you are selecting medicine? You can give any one bottle." That is nonsense. Not any one. The particular body, a particular bottle, and a particular medicine which is suitable for you, the experienced physician gives you. He's acarya. So you cannot say that "Everything is medicine; whichever bottle I take, that's all right." No. That's not. This is going on. Yata mata tata patha. Why yata mata tata patha? The particular mata which is suitable for you at a particular time, that should be accepted, not any other mata. So similarly, in this age, in this Kali-yuga, where people are very short-living, duration of life is very short, they are unfortunate, they're very slow, and they take to unauthorized means of religious principles, they're prone to so many disturbances of life... Therefore this particular medicine for this age, as given by Caitanya Mahaprabhu:

harer nama harer nama harer namaiva kevalam
 [Cc. Adi 17.21]

Prabhu kahe, iha haite sarva-siddhi haibe tomara.

So we should take the instruction of Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who has especially incarnated Himself in this age, Kali-yuga. Kalau sankirtana-prayair yajanti hi su-medhasah. This is the sastric injunction.

krsna-varnam tvisakrsnam
sangopangastra-parsadam
yajnaih sankirtana-prayair
yajanti hi su-medhasah
 [SB 11.5.32]

This is the injunction in the sastra, that this form of the Lord, who is accompanied by His associate... Sangopangastra-parsadam. So Caitanya Mahaprabhu is always associated with Sri Advaita Prabhu, Sri Nityananda Prabhu, Sri Gadadhara Prabhu, Sri Srivasa Prabhu. Therefore the process of worship is sri-krsna-caitanya prabhu-nityananda sri-advaita gadadhara srivasadi-gaura-bhakta-vrnda. That is perfect process. Not to cut short. No. As it is indicated. This is indication in the Srimad-Bhagavatam. Krsna-varnam tvisakrsnam sangopangastra... [SB 11.5.32]. So when we have to worship Lord Caitanya, we worship with His associates. Sri-krsna-caitanya prabhu-nityananda sri-advaita gadadhara srivasadi-gaura-bhakta-vrnda. No cut-short method. So that is sastric injunction. So in order to get rid of the sinful activities of this age, it is already prescribed in the sastras and confirmed by the greatest authority, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Ceto-darpana-marjanam bhava-maha-davagni-nirvapanam [Cc. Antya 20.12]. So we should all take to this maha-mantra, chant

Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, November 5, 1972

The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. PART 10 B.

Pradyumna: (reading:) "...for anyone who is actually engaged in devotional service in full Krsna consciousness, how is it possible that he has not become purified? It is not possible. One who is engaged in Krsna consciousness and devotional service has without doubt become freed from all contaminations of material sinful activities. Devotional service therefore has the power to actually nullify all kinds of reactions to sinful deeds. A devotee is nevertheless always alert not to commit any sinful activities; this is his specific qualification as a devotee. Thus the Srimad-Bhagavatam states that by performing devotional service a person who was born even in a family of dog-eaters may become eligible to take part in the performance of the ritualistic ceremonies recommended in the Vedas. It is implicit in this statement that a person born into a family of dog-eaters is generally not fit for performing yajna, or sacrifice. The priestly caste in charge of performing these ritualistic sacrifices, ritualistic ceremonies recommended in the Vedas, is called the brahmana order. Unless one is a brahmana, he cannot perform these ceremonies. A person is born in a brahmana family or in a family of dog-eaters due to his past activities. If a person is born in a family of dog-eaters, it means that his past activities are all sinful. But even..., if even such a person takes to the path of devotional service and begins to chant the holy names of the Lord -- Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare -- he is at once fit to perform the ritualistic ceremonies. This means that his sinful reactions have immediately become neutralized."

Prabhupada: Svado 'pi sadyah savanaya kalpate. It is commented by Srila Jiva Gosvami that a, a person born in the brahmana family waits for being initiated as twice-born. To take birth in the family of a brahmana is not sufficient qualification. He has to study the Vedas; he has to be initiated with thread ceremony; so many ritualistic performances. Dasa-vidha-samskara. Samskarad bhaved dvijah. So the distinction is being made by Jiva Gosvami that a brahmana, son of a brahmana, awaits so many ritualistic ceremonies before he is competent to perform yajna. Not that because he's born of a brahmana father, therefore he becomes eligible to perform yajna. He requires primarily so much purificatory methods. But a Vaisnava, one who has taken to devotional service, for him, it is said, sadyah savanaya kalpate. As soon as he becomes a devotee, he becomes eligible to perform yajna. Savanaya kalpate. That means preference is given to the devotee (more) than to the son of a brahmana. A devotee, although born in the family of dog-eaters, the lowest of the mankind, but if he's Vaisnava, initiated, diksa-vidhanena, then he becomes eligible to perform sacrifice. That is officially accepted, that a Vaisnava, even born of dog-eaters' family... Kirata-hunandhra-pulinda-pulkasa abhira-sumbha yavanah khasadayah, ye'nye ca papa [SB 2.4.18]. These are the list of low-grade human society, kirata-hunandhra. And there may be others also. (Hindi) There may be others. Ye 'nye ca papa. Anye -- any kinds of sinful man, sudhyanti yad-upasrayasrayah, if such men take shelter of a pure devotee, then he purifies him. Sudhyanti.

One may question how he becomes purified. He's born in a family of dog-eaters. How he becomes purified? It requires... According to Smarta consideration, he requires next birth. There are two processes of Vedic understanding, Smarta-vicara and Gosvami-vicara. According to Smarta-vicara, unless a person born in a low-grade family takes another birth, he cannot be eligible to become a brahmana. But according to Gosvami-vicara, if he's properly initiated by a bona fide Vaisnava, then he becomes more than a brahmana. Svadyo 'pi sadyah. Immediately he becomes eligible to perform sacrifices. so the problem is that at the present moment we are not taking care... I mean that our Indian brahmanas, those who are spiritual leaders, they are not actually taking care of the fallen souls. But in the Bhagavad-gita it is sanctioned, it is said clearly: mam hi partha vyapasritya ye 'pi syuh papa-yonayah [Bg. 9.32]. Any person born of low-grade family, papa-yoni, striyo vaisyas tatha sudras te 'pi yanti param gatim... So it is the duty of the elevated person, brahmanas and Vaisnavas, to take charge of this business. Krsna says, ye 'pi syuh papa-yonayah. Never mind one is born in low-grade family, but he can go back to home, back to Godhead. Te 'pi yanti param gatim. So who will take the initiative to elevate these persons? Unless one who is expert does take interest for elevating these fallen souls, then how they will be elevated? This is problem. But we are not careful about these affairs. Caitanya Mahaprabhu therefore indicated that,

bharata-bhumite manusya janma haila yara
janma sarthaka kari' kara paropakara
 [Cc. Adi 9.41]

This is paropakara. Those who are born in low-grade family... The most regrettable fact is that in India the brahmanas and Vaisnavas, they did not take care of the fallen souls. Once one becomes, somehow or other, a Muhammadan, he has no more chance to come back to the Hindu society. This policy was being followed. And therefore the result is that these fallen souls, whom we call fallen souls, the Muhammadans, they partitioned. Now we are crying. Not only that. I think, from historical point of view, this whole planet was India, Bharata-varsa. This planet was called Bharata-varsa -- not this portion of land. But because gradually the Vedic culture became diminished, they separated from this Vedic culture, as we have got actual experience, and within twenty years the Pakistan is taken away from India.

So if follow that policy that one who is born in India as brahmana, except him, nobody can become brahmana, then this Vedic civilization will be, in due course of time, lost. We should be very careful. Therefore this Krsna consciousness movement is spreading Vedic culture outside India. And they are welcoming it, those who are intelligent, they are welcoming it. They are accepting it. We should encourage them. Instead of discouraging this movement, we should encourage, so that the whole world can be united on the platform of this Krsna consciousness movement. If we simply hate low-grade families, low-grade men, that will not solve the problem. Just like when there was political movement in India, the Britishers, they presented so many problems. Just like the untouchables, the Muhammadans, and so many things. The Britishers they put forward these problems (because) they were not willing to separate the British rule. Only some high class, higher section of the Hindus, they are trying to separate the British rule. At that time, Gandhi stamped the camaras (?) and the bhangis as harijana. But means as soon as there was the word "harijana," immediately a person would be considered coming from the camaras and the bhangis. But such exalted title, harijana, is offered to personalities like Narada, Brahma, those who are actually associates with Hari. But according to sastra, there is no objection to accept these camaras and the bhangis or any low-grade family to make him harijana, provided he accepts the lotus feet of Krsna in a regular way, by the Vaisnava vidhana. Just (as) recommended by the Gosvamis, Sanatana Gosvami: tatha diksa-vidhanena dvijatvam jayate nrnam. Diksa-vidhanena, by the proper initiative process, one can become dvija, twice-born. Nrnam. Tatha, yatha kan...,

yatha kancanatam yati
kamsyam rasa-vidhanena
tatha diksa-vidhanena
dvijatvam jayate nrnam

This is the injunction of Sanatana Gosvami. Just like by chemical manipulation, by mercury, with kamsya, bell metal... This is the suggestion given by Sanatana Gosvami, that, as bell metal can be transformed into gold by mixing with mercury, similarly -- it is a question of manipulating -- similarly, by expert manipulation, even a, any man, not low or high, it doesn't matter, any man can be transformed into a brahmana, dvija, twice-born.

So this is recommended not only by Sanatana Gosvami... By Krsna in the Bhagavad-gita and Sukadeva Gosvami in Srimad-Bhagavatam. Sudhyanti prabha visnave namah. He recommends that one, when one becomes a Vaisnava by the supreme power of Visnu, prabha visnave namah... He has got so much power that He can turn a low-grade man into a great Vaisnava. Just like Haridasa Thakura. Haridasa Thakura, he was born in Muhammadan family, and he was made Namacarya Haridasa Thakura by Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Namacarya, "the acarya." Caitanya Mahaprabhu actually appeared for glorifying the holy name of the Lord. Harer nama harer nama harer nama iva kevalam [Cc. Adi 17.21]. Krsna-varnam tvisakrsnam [SB 11.5.32], always chanting Hare Krsna. So Caitanya Mahaprabhu especially incarnated, advented Himself for spreading this Hare Krsna maha-mantra, and Haridasa Thakura, who was born in a Muhammadan family, he, he was made the Namacarya, the authority of spreading this holy name. Similarly, Sanatana Gosvami, they become Muhammadans. At least, formerly. His name was also changed: Sakara Mallika, Dabira Khasa. And they were made the prime ministers of spreading this sankirtana movement, the Caitanya cult, Sanatana. We are sitting here (in) Rupa Gosvami's place. So officially, they become Muhammadan, but by the grace of Caitanya Mahaprabhu, they became Gosvami, Rupa Gosvami. Ei chay gosani tahra mui dasa. Narottama dasa Thakura says that "These six Gosvamis, anyone who accepts these six Gosvamis as authority, spiritual masters, I am his servant." Therefore we Gaudiya Vaisnava, we are known as Rupanuga Vaisnava, following the footsteps of Srila Rupa Gosvami.

So this is the process. So by following the footsteps of Rupa Gosvami, the whole world become, can become purified. Svado 'pi sadyah sayanaya kalpate. Not only purified, but they are purified so much so that they can be allowed to perform yajnas. Because performing yajna was entrusted to high-class brahmana, who is very expert in mantra-tantra-visaradah, not ordinary brahmana. So a Vaisnava is recommended to take charge of performing sacrifices. Svado'pi sadyah savanaya kalpate. So this is the exalted position. Haridasa Thakura... Actually, this was exemplified by Gadadhara, yes, Advaita Prabhu. Advaita Prabhu happened to be at that time the president of the brahmana society, very learned scholar and Vaisnava; and He was entrusted to be the president of brahmana society in Santipura. So when He performed the ritualistic ceremony after the death of His father, funeral ceremony, He offered the first prasadam to Haridasa Thakura. So Haridasa Thakura was little shy, accepting, that "Advaita Prabhu, You have exalted me in so many ways, but You..." Because according to the smarta-vidhana, when one is performing the funeral ceremony of his father, the first portion would be offered to the best of the brahmanas. So it was offered to Haridasa Thakura. So Haridasa Thakura felt little shyness, that "Advaita Prabhu, You love me. That is all right. But You are doing all these things. You may be socially ostracized." So Advaita Prabhu said, "No. By feeding you, I am feeding one crores of best brahmanas. And let any brahmana come to Me. I shall convince him." That was His statement.

So this Krsna consciousness movement is so nice that we can accept anyone -- it doesn't matter wherefrom he's coming -- and make him a pure Vaisnava. And following the footsteps of Advaita Prabhu, Caitanya Mahaprabhu, these Vaisnavas from foreign countries, those who are actually purified by the process of initiation, they should be accepted. They should not be neglected. Unfortunately, there is some silent protest that I am ruining the Hindu religion because I am initiating the Europeans and Americans. Therefore I am ruining Hindu religion. There is a grudge against me. But you can just consider these points that I am going strictly according to the regulation given by the Gosvamis and the sastras. Sastra allows. Krsna says, mam hi partha vyapasritya ye 'pi syuh papa-yonayah [Bg. 9.32]. Papa-yoni, it doesn't matter, if he takes regularly the shelter of Krsna, lotus feet of Krsna... And Caitanya Mahaprabhu ordered that

prthivite ache yata nagaradi grama
sarvatra pracara haibe mora nama

He predicted. Practically we are trying to carry out the order of Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Caitanya Mahaprabhu ordered that anyone who has taken birth as human being in Bharata-varsa, he should engage his life for paropakara. And he said also, prthivite ache yata nagaradi grama: "All over the town, all over the world, as many towns and villages are there, My name will be established there." So we are trying to do that. So His name should be established does not mean that they should remain as yavanas or mlecchas, and simply they should simply know Lord Caitanya. No. Actually the fact is that everyone should be elevated to the position of Vaisnava, purified Vaisnava, as it is recommended in the Srimad-Bhagavata, Bhagavad-gita. Catur-varnyam maya srstam guna-karma-vibhagasah [Bg. 4.13]. They, they should be made into brahmanas by qualifying them as brahmana.

So the first condition is that anyone who comes to Krsna consciousness as a bona fide initiated member, he gives up all these abominable habits: no illicit sex, no meat-eating, no gambling, no intoxication. They have given up even smoking cigarette, even drinking tea, coffee. So they are all, after being qualified, they are accepted as Vaisnava and properly initiated. So they cannot be neglected as other than brahmanas. That is not very good proposition. They are, according to sastra, they are qualified. It may be due to some past habits, they may commit some mistake, unconsciously. Consciously, no Vaisnava commits any mistake, but maybe due to habit. That is also protected by Krsna. Api cet su-duracaro bhajate mam ananya-bhak, sadhur eva sa mantavyah [Bg. 9.30]. Even there are some discrepancies, but if the only one qualification is there, that he's sticking to Krsna consciousness rigidly, he's sadhu. Sadhur eva sa mantavyah [Bg. 9.30]. He's not to be neglected. So these Europeans, Americans devotees, according to the enunciation given by Rupa Gosvami, as it is supported by Lord Krsna Himself, as it is supported by Sukadeva Gosvami, as it is supported by Sanatana Gosvami, as it is ordered by Caitanya Mahaprabhu, they are regularly initiated Vaisnavas. They should not be neglected. That will be vaisnava-aparadha, offenses unto the Vaisnava. Out of all kinds of aparadhas, offenses, vaisnava-aparadha is the most dangerous. Most dangerous. So vaisnava-aparadha is not excused by Visnu. The instance is... What is called? Su... I forget his name. Ambarisa and...?

Devotee: Durvasa?

Prabhupada: Durvasa. Yes, Durvasa Muni. Durvasa Muni, because he offended to Ambarisa Maharaja, he was not excused even by Visnu. He had to fall down on the feet of Maharaja Ambarisa. Yes. Ambarisa upakhyana. So vaisnava-aparadha is the greatest offense. Even a great sage like Durvasa was not excused. He was so great, Durvasa, that he could go personally to all the lokas, Brahma-loka, Siva-loka, Visnuloka. Personally he could go, by his yogic power. Just imagine how much he was powerful. He saw face to face Lord Visnu and requested Him to give him protection from the sudarsana-cakra, and Visnu refused: "So I cannot give you protection because you are offender to a Vaisnava. Only Ambarisa Maharaja can give you protection." Just see. He was so exalted yogi that he could see personally Lord Brahma, Lord Siva, Lord Visnu, but still, he was not excused on account of his offense to a Vaisnava. Caitanya Mahaprabhu has warned very severely: tara madhye vaisnava aparadha hati matta. Vaisnava-aparadha is the greatest offense. We should be very careful. In... According to our Vedic civilization, a Vaisnava, a saintly person, was never under the government laws. They, they were not under the govern... Why government laws? Even Yamaraja's law. That is also stated. Yamaraja also warned his servants not to approach Vaisnava. So Vaisnava's position is so great.

So this Krsna consciousness movement is meant for turning everyone to become a pure Vaisnava. Pure Vaisnava. That is the actual aim of human life. As we are discussing this morning, mumuksavah. The aim of human life is to get out of the clutches of maya, repetition of birth and death and transmigration from body to another. That is the real aim of life. That is real freedom. So if we neglect this opportunity, then we are called atma-ha. Atma-ha means committing suicide. Just like a person, knowingly, knowingly committing suicide, cutting his throat, similarly, a human being, getting so much opportunity, especially in India... We have got so many books of knowledge, especially the Bhagavad-gita, Srimad-Bhagavatam, Vedanta-sutra. Vedanta-sutra means Srimad-Bhagavata. Srimad-Bhagavatam is explicit narration of the Vedanta-sutra. Bhasyam brahma-sutranam **. So Indians especially should take advantage of this human form of life and spread this knowledge all over the world. Then the whole world will be peaceful and happy. That is our proposition. It is not a... I repeatedly say that this is not a religious cult, that we want to supersede another type of religion. That is not our business. Our aim is to make all people happy. Sarve sukhino bhavantu. This is the Vedic mission. Everyone should be happy. But they are trying to be happy, but they do not know how to, how to become... Na te viduh svartha-gatim hi visnum [SB 7.5.31]. They are misguided. They cannot be happy without becoming Vaisnava. This is open declaration in the sastra. They cannot become happy. Na te viduh svartha-gatim hi visnum durasaya [SB 7.5.31]. If they are trying to become happy otherwise, that is durasaya, hopeless thing. It will never be fructified. It will never be successful. Na te viduh. They do not know. Therefore our business is to make them know that "This is the way of perfection. Take Krsna consciousness. Make your life perfect. Be happy, and go back to home, back to Godhead." This is our mission. They do not know.

So we are trying to convince them in so many ways. There is no need of so many ways. The one, simple method, chanting of Hare Krsna mantra, will be sufficient to make them perfect. Ceto-darpana-marjanam bhava-maha-davagni-nirvapanam [Cc. Antya 20.12]. The problems, bhava-maha-davagni. Caitanya Mahaprabhu says, maha-davagni, "great forest fire." Forest fire, we have no experience immediately, but in America, there is occasionally forest fire. They have got very good experience. There are many forests also. So the forest fire takes place automatically. Nobody goes to set fire. Similarly, in this material world the blazing fire is always there -- problems, different problems. Bhava-maha-davagni-nirvapanam. This will be extinguished immediately. It is Caitanya Mahaprabhu's saying. How? Param vijayate sri-krsna-sankirtanam. Simply by spreading this sankirtana movement, all the problems of the world will be immediately mitigated. So to make people Vaisnava, pure Vaisnava, and to spread the sankirtana movement, this is the mission of Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and we are trying our best. Actually, it was the duty of the Indians, but fortunately, the Americans have taken up instead of Indians. Therefore I have brought them. The Indians... You are forgetting your duty. The foreigners are doing your duty. So you should welcome them, instead of driving them away by so many pleas. This is not very good. Yes. Go on.

Pradyumna: "It is stated in the Padma-Purana that there are four kinds of effects to sinful activities, which are listed as follows: (1) the effect which is not yet fructified, (2) the effect which is lying as seed, (3) the effect which is already mature, and (4) the effect which is almost mature. It is also stated that all these four effects..."

Prabhupada: Kuta-stha-bija, prarabdha... Like that. This is, these are the... Our effects. Just like we can understand in the modern... Just like if you infect some disease, it becomes immediately kuta-stha. Kuta-stha means stocked. In due course of time, it will come out, manifest. Similarly, we are acting so many sinful activities. Sometimes they complain that "This man is committing so many sinful activities, but he's happy." But actually he's enjoying the effects of his past something pious. Now he's happy, but that effect of the impious activities, that is in stock. It will come out in due course of time. That is called kuta-stha. Kuta-stha phalonmukha, prarabdha. These are the Sanskrit language. That is being explained here. Go on.

Pradyumna: "It is also stated that all these four effects become immediately vanquished for those who surrender unto the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Visnu, and become engaged in His devotional service in full Krsna consciousness."

Prabhupada: Yes. This, these four kinds of stages of sinful activities, in stock, almost fructified, manifest, all the stages of sinful activities can be immediately nullified. Because it is assured by Krsna, aham tvam sarva-papebhyo moksayisyami. It is not imagination. If we believe in the words of Krsna, then there is no question of denying this fact. Krsna personally says, aham tvam sarva-papebhyo moksa... Sarva-papebhyo [Bg. 18.66]. The kuta-stha, phalonmukha, prarabdha, everything, it become immediately nullified, simply by this process, by surrendering: "Krsna, I, I was mistaken. I got..., forgot your mastership; You are my eternal Lord. So I was bewildered. I was wandering. Now I have come to my senses. I surrender unto You sincerely. You accept me." This very thing will give you immediately protection from all sinful activities. Krsna says,

sarva-dharman parityajya
mam ekam saranam vraja
aham tvam sarva-papebhyo
moksayisyami...
 [Bg. 18.66]

So where is the difficulty? Let us surrender to Krsna and execute His will, whatever He... Surrender means I must be prepared to execute the will of Krsna; not my whims, but Krsna's will. The Krsna's will is that you become Krsna's devotee. Man-mana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji mam namaskuru [Bg. 18.65]. Where is the difficulty? You surrender unto Him, and He assures, mam eva ye prapadyante mayam etam taranti te [Bg. 7.14]. Immediately he becomes relieved from the effects of illusory energy. So there is no difficulty, not at all difficulty. Let us immediately become surrendered to Krsna's lotus feet. Think of Him always. Man-mana bhava mad-bhaktah, to become His devotee, always think of Him. Man-mana bhava mad-bhakto mad-yaji mam namaskuru [Bg. 18.65]. "Always worship Me. Always offer obeisances." These are the four principles. Anyone can do it. There is no restriction for any caste, creed, nation. Everyone. It is open to the human being. So if we actually want to be happy, we must take to Krsna consciousness. There is no alternative. That is our point. Yes? Go on.

Pradyumna: "Those effects described as 'almost mature' refer to the distress from which one is suffering at present, and the effects 'lying as seed' means that in the core of the heart there is a certain stock of sinful desires which are like seeds. The Sanskrit word kutam means that they are almost ready to produce the seed, or the effect of the seed. And 'immature effect' refers to the case where the seedling has not begun. From this statement of Padma-Purana it is understood that material contamination is very subtle. Its beginning, its fruition and results, and how one suffers such results in the form of distress, are part of a great chain. When one catches some disease, it is very..., it is often very difficult to ascertain the cause of the disease, where it originated and how it is maturing. The suffering of a disease, however, does not appear all of a sudden. It actually takes time. And, as in the medical field, for precaution's sake, the doctor injects a vaccination to prevent the growing of contamination, similarly, the practical injection to stop all the fructifications of the seeds of our sinful activities is simply engagement in Krsna consciousness."

Prabhupada: Krsna consciousness. This is the best injection. Take this injection and become free from all sinful reactions. Go on.

Pradyumna: "In this connection, Sukadeva Gosvami speaks in the Sixth Canto of Srimad-Bhagavatam, Second Chapter, 17th verse, about the story of Ajamila, who began life as a fine and dutiful brahmana but in his young manhood became wholly corrupted by a prostitute. At the end of his wicked life, just by calling the name of Narayana (or Krsna), he was saved, despite so much sin. Sukadeva points out that austerity..."

Prabhupada: Svalpam apy asya dharmasya trayate mahato bhayat. That is stated the Bhagavad-gita. Svalpam apy asya dharmasya. A little Krsna consciousness can save you from the greatest danger. The example is this Ajamila. Ajamila, he was the greatest sinful man. Similarly, Jagai-Madhai. So Krsna consciousness is so nice that from the life of Ajamila we understand, simply by uttering the name of Narayana at the time of his death, he became eligible to be promoted to the Vaikunthaloka. Go on.

Pradyumna: "Sukadeva points out that austerity, charity and the performance of ritualistic ceremonies for counteracting sinful activities are recommended processes, but that by performing them one cannot remove the sin desire-seed from the heart, as was the case with Ajamila in his youth. This sinful desire-seed can be accomplished very easily by chanting the maha-mantra, or Hare Krsna mantra, as recommended by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. In other words, unless one adopts the path of devotional service, he cannot be one hundred percent clean from all the reactions of sinful activities."

Prabhupada: So we shall discuss more tomorrow. Chant Hare Krsna. (end)
The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, November 6, 1972

The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. PART 10 C.

Pradyumna: (reading:) "By performing Vedic ritualistic activities, by giving money in charity and by undergoing austerity, one can temporarily become free from the reactions of sinful activities, but at the next moment he must again become engaged in sinful activities. For example, a person suffering from venereal disease on account of excessive indulgence of sex life has to undergo some severe pain in medical treatment, and he is then cured for the time being. But because he has not been able to remove the sex desire from his heart, he must again indulge in the same thing and become a victim of the same disease. So medical treatment may give temporary relief from the distress of such venereal disease, but unless one is trained to understand that sex life is abominable, it is impossible to be saved from such repeated distress. Similarly, the ritualistic performances, charity, and austerity which are recommended in the Vedas may temporarily stop one from acting in sinful ways, but as long as the heart is not clear, one will have to repeat sinful activities again and again."

Prabhupada: So, according to Vedic ritualistic ceremony, there is recommendation of prayascitta, condon... What is called?

Pradyumna: Atonement?

Prabhupada: Atonement. Yes. Atonement. So the example is given, just like a thief, he knows that stealing is not good. He has got experience that in the past he committed stealing, committed criminal offense by stealing, and he was arrested. Then he was punished. Still, he's stealing again. A man knows that stealing is not good. By ordinary law, stealing is punished, and in the scriptures also, stealing is prohibited because it is sinful. And one has seen that a person who is a thief was arrested and was punished. Everything he knows, but still, he commits stealing. Why? Therefore Bhagavata says through Sukadeva Gosvami that prayascittam vimarsanam. Simply official prayascitta will not help a man ceasing from sinful activities. Official. In Christian religion also, they accept, confess their sinful activities, and again they commit the same sinful activities. So Sukadeva Gosvami recommends that prayascittam vimarsanam. Unless one understands his constitutional position, unless he's convinced that why should he commit sinful activities simply for this body, which does not belong to him... It is a foreign. Actually, he has no connection with the body. Vimarsanam means cultivation of knowledge. So one has to cultivate knowledge. Then he can be stopped from sinful activities.

People, generally, they identify this body as self, and for bodily interest, he commits so many sinful activities, simply for satisfaction of the senses. But if he's cultured, if he's given proper knowledge that "Bodily concept of life is not your interest. You are spirit soul," aham brahmasmi, in this way, if he cultivates knowledge... That is very easily possible simply by engaging oneself in the service of the Lord. Kevalaya bhaktya. Simply by devotional service, one can raise himself to the position of perfect knowledge, and thus he can renounce all sinful activities.

vasudeve bhagavati
bhakti-yogah prayojitah
janayaty asu vairagyam
jnanam ca yad ahaitukam
 [SB 1.2.7]

In ignorance -- means in bodily concept of life -- we commit sinful activities, but if we actually come to the platform of knowledge, jnana, then naturally there is vairagya, renunciation. Renunciation means renunciation of sinful activities. Renunciation does not mean renunciation of devotional service. Renunciation means that unwanted things, anartha-nivrttih. That is renunciation. Adau sraddha tatah sadhu-sanga atho bhajana-kriya, tato anartha-nivrttih syat [Cc. Madhya 23.14-15]. If one is actually advanced in spiritual life, execution of regular spiritual life, then automatically anartha-nivrttih, things which are not required, that becomes automatically stopped. Anartha-nivrttih syat. So that anartha-nivrttih is possible by sraddha, sadhu-sangah, bhajana-kriya, then anartha-nivrttih, then nistha, ruci, asakti, bhava. In this way, we develop our Krsna consciousness, love of Godhead. Go on.

Pradyumna: "Another example is given in the Srimad-Bhagavatam of the elephant who enters into a lake and takes a bath very seriously, cleansing his body thoroughly. Then, as soon as he comes out onto shore, he again takes some dust from the earth and throws it over his body. Similarly, a person who is not trained in Krsna consciousness cannot become completely free from the desire for sinful activities. Neither the yoga process, nor philosophical speculations, nor fruitive activities can save one from the seeds of sinful desires. Only by being engaged in devotional service can this be done."

Prabhupada: The elephant... Hasti-snana, hasti-snana. This is very practical example. The elephant takes bath in the lake, very profusely throws water on his body, and becomes cleansed, and as soon as he comes on the shore, he takes again dust and spreads over his body. So these are natural examples. Similarly, there are different processes for getting out of the reaction of sinful activities, but you..., we take it. But if we again commit those sinful activities, then what is the use of such penance or prayascitta?
The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, November 7, 1972

The Complete Science of Bhakti-Yoga. PART 11.

Similarly, there are different processes for getting out of the reaction of sinful activities, but you..., we take it. But if we again commit those sinful activities, then what is the use of such penance or prayascitta? Hasti-snana. The example is given as hasti-snana. Take, for example, it is said by chanting Hare Krsna mantra one is released from all sinful activities immediately. Eka hari nama yata papa kare, papi haya tato papa kari bare nare. It is a fact. Just like Ajamila. His whole life was full of sinful activities, but at the time of death, because he uttered the holy name of Narayana, he became immediately released. That's a fact. But if we commit again sinful activities, then what is the use of chanting Hare Krsna mantra? Namno balad yasya hi papa-buddhih. This is one of the ten offenses. If anyone thinks that "I am chanting Hare Krsna mantra. It is reacting all the effects of my sinful life. Then again I can commit and chant Hare Krsna. It is very good business..." No. That is great offense. Namno balad yasya hi papa-buddhih. One should not indulge in such a way. Jagai-Madhai was accepted by Lord Caitanya only on the promise that they would not commit any more any sinful activities. Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu's mercy is there for everyone. He can accept everyone. One who is sinful, that is not disqualification. Because in this age, Kali-yuga, more or less, everyone is sinful. Then nobody can be claimed to be liberated by chanting Hare Krsna mantra. Hare Krsna mantra will give you, give you relief from all sinful activities, provided you don't commit it again. Otherwise, it will be like hasti-snana, the example of the elephant, and it will be a great offense. If on the strength of chanting Hare Krsna mantra we continue to commit sinful activities, that is great offense. We should not do that. The idea is by chanting Hare Krsna mantra, we become free from the reaction of sinful life, but that does not mean we shall again indulge in sinful life and counteract it by chanting Hare Krsna mantra. No. Not like that. Once you take to Hare Krsna mantra, you should make rapid progress, without committing any sinful activity, and retard the progress. Don't do that. Go on.

Pradyumna: "There is another evidence in the Fourth Canto of Srimad-Bhagavatam, Twenty-second Chapter, 37th verse, wherein Sanat-kumara says: 'My dear King, the false ego of a human being is so strong that it keeps him in material existence as if tied up by a strong rope. Only the devotees can cut off the knot of this strong rope very easily, by engaging themselves in Krsna consciousness. Others, who are not in Krsna consciousness but are trying to become great mystics or great ritual performers, cannot advance like the devotees. Therefore it is the duty of everyone to engage himself in the activities of Krsna consciousness in order to be freed from the tight knot of false ego and engagement in material activities.' "

Prabhupada: Bhaja vasudeva. There is a verse like that, that as by taking shelter at the lotus feet of Vasudeva, Sri Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, one can get released from all kinds of material tribulations, such kind of immunization is not possible by practicing yoga, tapasya, jnana. This is the statement in the Srimad-Bhagavatam. In all ways, it is recommended that we have to, we should take shelter...

samasrita ye pada-pallava-plavam
mahat-padam punya-yaso murareh
bhavambudhir vatsa-padam param padam
padam padam yad vipadam na tesam
 [SB 10.14.58]

If one takes shelter of mahat-padam punya-yaso murareh... Murari is Krsna's another name. So punya-yaso, His name is famous as piety. Punya-yaso murari. If anyone takes shelter of His lotus feet, then the great ocean of nescience becomes a small pit, and one can jump over it very easily. Go on.

Pradyumna: "This tight knot of false ego is due to ignorance. As long as one is ignorant about his identification, he is sure to act wrongly and thereby become entangled in material contamination. This ignorance of factual knowledge can also be dissipated by Krsna consciousness, as it is confirmed in the Padma Purana as follows: 'Pure devotional service in Krsna consciousness...' "

Prabhupada: Srila Rupa Gosvami is giving evidences from different Vedic literatures to support his statement. Here is a statement from Padma Purana. Srila Jiva Gosvami, in his Tattva-sandarbha, has proved it, without any doubt, that the Puranas are supplementary to Vedas. They are... Just like Upanisads is part and parcel of the Vedas, similarly, Puranas are also part and parcel of the Vedic literature. There are philosophers, the Mayavadi philosophers, they do not accept Puranas as Vedic literature, but Srila Jiva Gosvami has proved in his Tattva-sandarbha, in the beginning, that Puranas, Mahabharata, itihasa-purana, they are part and parcel of the Vedic literature. Supplementary. Purana means that which supplements. So evidences from Purana is as good as the evidence from the Vedic quotation. That is the verdict of Srila Jiva Gosvami. Srila Jiva Gosvami is not prepared to accept any statement which does not refer to the Vedic literatures: Vedas, Puranas, Upanisads, Mahabharata, Ramayana, like that. Srila Rupa Gosvami also says in another place, sruti-smrti-puranadi-pancaratriki-vidhim vina [Brs. 1.2.101]. So he has taken puranas also as evidences, Vedic evidences. So sruti, the Vedas, smrti, the Puranas and other literatures, dharma-sastra, smrti-sastra and Purana, pancarati-vidhi -- without reference to all these authentic literature, any kind of devotional activities are not accepted by the Gosvamis. They say, "Without any reference to these all Vedic literatures, any kind of devotional service is simply disturbance." Pancaratri-vidhim vina aikantiki harer bhaktir upatayaiva kalpate. Utpat, disturbance. Go on.

Pradyumna: " 'Pure devotional service in Krsna consciousness is the highest enlightenment, and when such enlightenment is there, it is just like a blazing forest fire, killing all the inauspicious snakes of desire.' The example is being given in this connection that when there is a forest fire, the extensive blazing automatically kills all the snakes in the forest. There are many, many snakes on the ground of the forest, and when a fire takes place, it burns the dried foliage, and the snakes are immediately attacked. Animals who have four legs can flee from the fire or can at least try to flee, but the snakes are immediately killed. Similarly, the blazing fire of Krsna consciousness is so strong that the snakes of ignorance are immediately killed."

Pradyumna: " 'Krsna Consciousness is All-Auspicious.' Srila Rupa Gosvami has given a definition of auspiciousness."

Prabhupada: The snakes, kala-sarpa, indriya. Prabodhananda Sarasvati has explained about these kala-sarpas, snake... Our senses are compared with the snakes. Just like a snake, as soon as it touches somebody, it kills. It is very dangerous, touching by the lip of the snake. Similarly, a, a slight sense gratification is so dangerous, kala-sarpa indriya-patali, especially in the sex matter. So one... Yogis, they are training the senses how to restrain them from sense gratification, but a devotee, on account of their senses being engaged in the service of the Lord, there is no poisonous effect of the senses. Hrsikena hrsikesa-sevanam bhaktir ucyate [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. Krsna's another name is Hrsikesa. Ratham sthapaya acyuta. Hrsikesa. In the Bhagavad-gita, this word is used, Hrsikesa. So Hrsikesa means "the master of the senses." Actually, our senses are given by Krsna. We wanted a type of instrument to enjoy certain type of material enjoyment, and Krsna has given us senses. Actually, the proprietor of the senses is Krsna; therefore His name is Hrsikesa, "master of the senses." So if we actually use the senses for the service of the proprietor of the senses, that is bhakti. Do not..., we do not want to stop the activities of the senses, but it is, they are used for the purpose of the sense proprietor, Hrsikesa. That is called bhakti. Hrsikena hrsikesa-sevanam bhaktir ucyate [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. Bhakti means don't use the senses for sense gratification. Apply the senses for the satisfaction of the proprietor of the senses. Hrsikena hrsikesa-sevanam bhaktir ucyate [Cc. Madhya 19.170]. Go on.

Pradyumna: "Srila Rupa Gosvami has given a definition of auspiciousness. He says that actual auspiciousness means welfare activities for all the people of the world."

Prabhupada: Yes. Just like this Krsna consciousness movement: it is welfare activities for all the people of the world. It is not a sectarian movement, not only for the human being, but also for the animals, birds, beasts, trees, everyone. This discussion was made by Haridasa Thakura with Lord Caitanya. In that statement, Haridasa Thakura affirmed it that by chanting Hare Krsna mantra loudly, the trees, the birds, the beasts -- everyone -- will be benefited. This is the statement of Namacarya Haridasa Thakura. So when we chant Hare Krsna mantra loudly, it is beneficial for everyone. This statement was put forward in Melbourne in the court. The, the court inquired that "Why do you chant Hare Krsna mantra loudly in the street?" The reply we gave that "Just to benefit all the people." Actually, it is the fact. Of course, now there is no prosecution by the state. We are chanting very freely on the streets. That is the benefit. If we chant Hare Krsna mantra, it benefits everyone, not only human beings. My Guru Maharaja used to say if somebody complained that "We go and chant, but nobody attends our meeting," so Guru Maharaja would reply that "Why? The four walls will hear you. That is sufficient. Don't be disappointed. Go on chanting. If there are four walls, they will hear. That's all." So chanting is so effective that it benefits even the animals, beasts, birds, insects, everyone. Go on. This is the best welfare activity. In the human society there are welfare activities for some society or nation or community or human being. But this welfare activity is beneficial not only to the human society but to the birds, beasts, tree, animal, everyone. This is the best, supermost welfare activity in the world, spread Krsna consciousness. Go on.

Pradyumna: "At the present moment groups of people are engaged in welfare activities in terms of society, community or nation. There is even an attempt in the form of the United Nations for world-help activity. But due to the shortcomings of limited national activities, such a general mass welfare program for the whole world is not practically possible. The Krsna consciousness movement, however, is so nice that it can render the highest benefit to the entire human race. Everyone can be attracted by this movement, and everyone can feel the result. Therefore Rupa Gosvami and other learned scholars agree that a broad propaganda program for the Krsna consciousness movement of devotional service all over the world is the highest humanitarian welfare activity."

Pradyumna: "How the Krsna consciousness movement can attract the attention of the whole world and how each and every man can feel pleasure in this Krsna consciousness is stated in the Padma Purana as follows: 'A person who is engaged in devotional service in full Krsna consciousness is to be understood to be doing the best service to the whole world and to be pleasing everyone in the world. In addition to human society, he is pleasing even the trees and animals because they also become attracted by such a movement.' A practical example of this was shown by Lord Caitanya when He was traveling through the forest of Jharikhanda in central India for spreading His sankirtana movement. The tigers, the elephants, the deer and all other wild animals joined Him and were participating in their own ways, by dancing and chanting Hare Krsna."

Prabhupada: Yes. When Caitanya Mahaprabhu was passing through the forest of Jharikhanda, in central India, the, all the animals joined with Him. Of course, He's Krsna Himself. But if one becomes purified, there is no question that... All animals, living entities, would join in sankirtana movement. There is evidence. But one must be very sincere and powerful preacher. If we cannot preach in the, in the society of the animals, we can preach at least in the human societies, who are supposed to be uncivilized or very lower status of life. Actually, it is so happening. In Africa also, our men are going interior in the village. They are almost naked, these Africans -- we have got pictures -- with big, big earring. So they are also, their children, and they also dance in Krsna consciousness, in the Hare Krsna chanting. This is the wonderful movement, that anyone can take part. We see the children take part, the dogs take part, the so-called uncivilized men, they also take part. This is the universality of Caitanya Mahaprabhu's movement.

prthivite acheyata nagaradi grama
sarvatra pracara haibe more nama

So it is (the) Lord's prediction, and that is fact. Simply we have to serve the Lord and execute His mission. That will make our life successful.

The Nectar of Devotion -- Vrndavana, November 7, 1972

RSS

Receive Daily Nectar

Online Statistics

Addon Services

For more details:
Click here 

Back to Godhead Magazine !

For more details:
English | Hindi

© 2019   Created by ISKCON desire tree network.   Powered by