Ekadashi fasting

I am a student and due to family pressure not able to observe fast for whole day, so can I observe fast upto 12pm ? Is it okay until I convince my parents for it as this fast is not observed in our family ?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Ramachandra Prabhu,

PAMHO.

Consequences of not fasting - you see its like this. In spirituality, the intent is more important than the act. YOur question was answered in the beginning itself by Bharat prabhu, unfortunately you could not understand and nobody elaborated on this point further. 

So if one is not fasting, the intent is known to Krsna, cannot be hidden because He is present as paramatma alongwith each soul. If one has a desire to fast and is unable to, that is known to Krsna.

My experience in spirituality is simply this - obstacles on the path to devotion are merely ways to strengthen our resolve to move towards Krsna. Therefore, if one is genuinely unable to fast because of family, health or any other reason, but is sincere in his heart and is making all efforts in this direction, then the result will be different from one who can fast, but is not interested, or is looking for excuses to not fast.

I hope this is clear.

Just a word to everyone - the volunteers in this forum are very nice, they genuinely want to help. If everyone comes to this forum with this mentality that I have questions, let me ask. Maybe someone's answer will appeal to me and someone else's will not. That does not mean that they dont want to help. They are answering on the basis of their limited capacity and time. The intention to help is still there, otherwise why would they come here and answer random questions of strangers they will never meet in their life. Nobody is getting paid for this service. It is just that - voluntary service. Please take it in that spirit.

Volunteers please try to be more patient with newcomers. What Bharat prabhu said - keep on wondering can even be taken in sportive spirit or in a lighter vein. No need to flare up for such a small comment.

Gayatri genuinely wrote just a long post to explain. Then she even apologised and gave the full story. Try to see good in others, Not so difficult if we make it a practise. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• SORRY for being harsh in my speech. I take back all the words.  I am myself an animal walking on two legs I also was like ordinary human beings long time back before taking KC seriously. I was also like animal doing all the 4 activites only ( eating, sleeping, mating, defending). rave, rage and repeat was my daily way of living long time back... I am most fallen soul till I took KC seriously. Yes until we chose the right path we are all animals only.  

I will give you the consequences now for not doing the Ekadashi vrat.-

One kalpa when brahma was creating the world and its beings a sweat drop fell down from his forehead and from that sweat drop came out " papa purusha" personification of sin. This demon was personification of all types of sins in the world. He was doing demonic activites spreading all sins ( like killing brahmins, doing vyabhichara with guru's wife, drinking, gamblings, eating non veg) every type of sinful activity you can imagine even killing cows. This was spread among the common men who were created by brahma and this was becoming intolerable. This demon was very very hungry also all the time craving food. Brahama didn't know what to do how to stop them. The case was brought to Sri Hari and Hari Lord told this demon to be in food on the ekadashi day. As on ekadashi day no one eats grains you may go and have food on that day sumptously.  And rest of all the days you are not supposed to feed on food alloted to humans. Thus this papa purusha accepted this and he leaves the food consumed by humans and except for ekadashi day he is residing in food and those who eat such a food. Are going to have.......all those bad qualities in them ( lust, anger, greed they cannot control their senses and act like animals just to satisfy their taste buds they can even opt to kill cows.

This is the reason why we shouldn't consume grains on ekadashi and fast.

https://www.radha.name/news/general-news/why-we-should-never-eat-gr...

you can see under this the scriptural evidences

As far as scientific evidence goes..

our body is chemical composition is made up of 50-70% water and as you see water reacts to changes in moon phases.  moon phases causes tides in the ocean and so also our body and mind changes to balances also this it is said like this to fast on certain days.

To be frank ekadashi, dwadashi and triyodashi all three are fasting days only. people start eating less from thithe the 10th day till the 14th day of waxing or waning moon.  Eating less will somehow increase your life it is told accroding to scientists  you may want to watch the vid. to know more about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcUYf7kffQU

I am Sorry for being harsh with you. I am trying to be nice to even talk to you and explain no one usually speaks to a non believer. It is one of the 10 offenses to even tell about the glories of Lord to a faithless person.

But Nityananda prabhu is merciful to all. I consider all are parts of Supreme Lord Sri Krishna ( non believer or believer , animal or plant) so I talk to you but not all vaishnavas talk to a non believer and faithless persons because of fear doing this offense.

Hope Nitaai shows mercy on you just like He did on Jagaai Madaai and convert you into a devotee. 

I am not hostile to you. I am trying to tell you that yes we are animals only if we don't believe in Lord.  If I am in your place even I am animal for that matter.

Hare Krishna.

Why We Should Never Eat Grains on Ekadashi
                    • Let the person who initially asked the question ask and find out if he really is so much keen to know.

where is hostility here I am also being nice with you and wishing good for you . Hope someday you realize and get back into KC again. 

Haribol

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

I am genuinely asking a question and not just commenting or being sarcastic

Please accept my apologies then

Hare Krsna

• Hare Krishna,

Lord will consider your  efforts to do vrat( even done partially)  dont worry. If in case you are not able to do vrat atleast you can chant. Chanting covers all left over portions. Chanting is most important. There is reward for even doing partially also this vrat. Next time do from sun rise to sunset if possible.

If not possible just do chanting.

Hare Krishna.

This reply was deleted.