Ekadashi Fast

Hare Krishna to everybody

Trying to follow KC for a past decade but now only situation is slowly changing for me and obstacles are gradually getting removed. So able to follow KC atleast to some extent now. 

I have been suffering from acidity from small age and my body is a heat body. This Ekadashi for the first time I tried to fast and got into severe trouble. Tried to maintain the body using fruits alone  which didn't withstand that much time and resulted in acidity and got into severe fever.  I am yet to recover 

I need a menu for three times which is rich in carbohydrates and calories and will take time to digest.  I am leaving nearby chennai and am in contact with devotees from iskcon chennai.  They suggested to take samaai and potatoes for the lunch. I have few queries

1. Can oats be taken on Ekadashi 

2. Can chapathis be taken on Ekadashi. If yes what cereal should be chapathi be made off. 

3. I plan to take other items like channa , groundnuts but don't think will withstand for a long time to eliminate acidity. 

Any other menu please.

I have other questions to ask.

1. What are the rules to be followed on the mensus time for ladies as my family members require this information. 

2. How many times do one require to bath. In case due to illness if we sleep in the afternoon do we need to bath. Or do some cleaning work do we need to bath. 

Haribol,

S.Balaji. 

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna everybody,

Thanks for the input. Hope to fast properly next Ekadashi.

Haribol,
    S.Balaji.
  • E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Very good that you are trying to observe ekadasi. It is very purifying and pleasing to the lord. Please observe.

To answer your questions:

Can oats be taken on Ekadashi  - No

2. Can chapathis be taken on Ekadashi. If yes what cereal should be chapathi be made off. Yes. What is important is the ingredients - you can make chappati out of ekadasi flour available in most ISKCON temple shops. If not, then you can take moriya/ samaai rice/ saamak (as a rice/ upma preparation).

3. I plan to take other items like channa , groundnuts but don't think will withstand for a long time to eliminate acidity. 

Chena - as in paneer - if homemade, ok. Ground nuts ok. 

All fruits and dry fruits ok.

Cooking medium has to be sunflower oil, or groundnut oil. or ghee. Do not cook in rice bran oil, or mustard oil.

YOu can take kuttu/ phaphar/ buckwheat, rajghira, singhoda, amarnath in powder or solid form. 

Masalas to be used have to be kept separately, not with daily cooking. Coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder to be grounded at home and kept separately, to be used only on ekadasi.

Sendha namak/ rock salt to be used, kept separately. 

Milk, curd, condensed milk, allowed. 

Vegetables that can be used are - potato, bottle gourd, carrot, capsicum, raw mango, raw unripe banana, arbi, pumpkin, cucumber, green chillies, cabbage, ginger.

We normally make a feast on ekadasi, end up eating more. No problem prabhuji, just prepare from these alternate items and have as many times as you want. Everything can be prepared from the items I mentioned - even idli dosa puri samosa are prepared by experts.

Fast has to be observed on all ekadasi days for ladies - no issues.

Regarding number of baths, lets not get into it now. Keep it at doable levels now. Else, you will get so overwhelmed with all this, that you will not follow at all. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• haribol

as i know turmeric cant be used

• E-Counselor

In ISKCON turmeric is used, kept separately for ekadasi and home grounded or made into paste at home.

• really???

thanks mataji for information 

This reply was deleted.