Ekadashi

Hare Krishna,

All glories to srila prabhupadh,

It is forbidden to eat food on ekadashi, so what about the packaged items (Lays, Kurkure, Fivestar) across the world which is prepared on the day of ekadashi and if it is circulated on the other days in the market and if it is consumed by the devotee will it be considered as a sin??

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare KRsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

Firstly, it is not considered a sin to eat FOOD on ekadasi, it is considered sinful to eat GRAINS on ekadasi.

Lays - only Classic Salted is allowed to devotees anyways, all other varieties have onion/ garlic. Same with kurkure - out of syllabus for devotees even on normal days. Five Star is choclate - there isa  huge section of devotees who will not eat choclate at all. Any it contains maida - how can it be consumed on ekadasi.

Given below is a list of what can be and cannot be consumed on ekadasi - you can take cues from it and make your ekadasi prasadam.

Regarding food that can be had on ekadasi, I will give you a list. With these ingredients, you will know what to do.

1)      Cooking medium should be sunflower oil or ghee. Pls do not use soya bean oil, mustard oil or rice bran oil on ekadasi. This oil/ ghee should be kept separately and not used in daily cooking from same container.

2)      Salt should be sendha namak. If you cannot get in your locality, then use tata salt, that is kept separately. It should not be used for normal cooking from the same container.

3)      Dhania/ coriander seeds should be made powder at home. Similarly, dried red chillies should be made powder at home. Keep separately for ekadasi cooking, donot use from same container for daily cooking. Haldi/ turmeric, raai/ mustard seeds, khatai/ amchoor, hing/ asafoetida aur jeera/ cumin seeds do not use.

4)      I make garam masala also at home – long/ clove, elaichi/ cardamom, dalchini/ cinnamon, tej patta/ bay leaf, saunf/ aniseed, star anise (if you have readily at home) dry roast – powder in mixie and keep separately.

5)      Allowed sabji – jisme haddi/ beej nahi ho – like aloo/ potato, kumra/ pumpkin, papita/ papaya, lauki/ , gajar/ carrot, parwal, kheera/ cucumber, turai, mooli/ radish, adrak/ ginger, hari mirch/ green chilli, nimbu/ lemon. In ISKCON, patta gobi/ cabbage, capsicum, tamatar/ tomato, phool gobi/ cauliflower is also used. All leaves – dhania patta/ coriander, pudina patta, palak/ spinach patta, kari patta (meetha neem patta) allowed. Methi/ fenugreek patta aur methi seeds use nahi hota hai.

6)      Not allowed sabji – beans, bhindi,…..

7)      All fruits and dry fruits allowed. Mungfali/ peanuts allowed.

8)      Milk, curd, mawa and their preparations allowed. I make paneer at home – I don’t use bazaar ka paneer for ekadasi.

9)      Gulab jal, kewra jal, kesar, sugar, gur, khajoor allowed.

10)   Kuttu ka aata, rajghire ka aata, Saamak/ Moriya, Sabudana use karte hain. In your SJM temple, I found one ekadasi atta which I bought and used today. You can use that to make rotis – its got maida consistency, though I thought it was exactly like the now banned Radhika aata.

11)   No grains – aata, rice, maida, sooji, ragi, jau, daals kuch bhi nahi kha sakte hain.

12)   Til – only on one ekadasi, til is allowed. Otherwise all through the year, it is considered as grains. Tilkut ekadasi (near sankrant every year), it is allowed.

13)     Tulsi leaves are not to be cooked. They are not to be plucked or tulsi plant watered on dwadasi and on Sundays. These are the days Tulsi maharani rests. So she should not be disturbed.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• Sevak

Hare Krsna

In addition coconut oil and groundnut oil can be used. 

Hare Krsna

• Hare Krishna Matajii, Can we use cardamon or elaichi on Ekadashi as you have mentioned using it, I am confused as the following link mentions not to use elachi, http://harekrishnacalendar.com/category/philosophy/ekadashi/. Can you please confirm, Hare Krishna

Ekadashi | Hare Krishna Calendar
    • hare krishna mataji....
      pamho...
      yo8ur last point...you said not to water tulsi plant on dwadashi and sunday...but what if temperature is high and pot has gone dry ?..then also we should not water the plant ?
This reply was deleted.