Confusion while chanting

I am confused about how to chant since i came to know about mayawad theory that they try to concentrate on various things . so whenever i do chanting i close my eyes and my mind wanders here and there and i cant control my thoughts and eventually end up thinking something else and chanting mechanically . so whenever i try to control it by fixing the mind on Lord Shri Krishna that theory comes to mind and eventually i end up very confused. so how to control this wandering mind and how to do chanting properly and somebody help me through this.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

When a devotee asked similar question to Prabhupad, Prabhupad answered "Where is the question of mind, you utter the holy name and listen/concentrate on the holy name.."

You can try all remedies by different devotees both senior/junior. But in the end, it will come down to what Prabupad wants us to do which is chant and concentrate on the syllables. The mind will automatically get under control...

When asked by Arjuna on controlling in the mind, Lord Sri Krsna said the mind can be controlled only by practice and determination. So be determined to practice no matter what to try and concentrate on the holy names.. There is no other remedy.

Hare krsna,

• Thanks for enlightening me. I think I made a mistake.

Sorry to give wrong advice. Yeah, pls. follow what mata ji and Krishna das prabhu had stated which is right as per Guudiya Sampradaya and as per Srila Prabhupad Maharaj also. Focus on the syllables. pretending to visulalize leelas is right method , we need to first focus on syllables.

Thanks for the correction.

Hare Krishna.

• okay correction... "Pretending to visualize leelas is not the right method." focus on the syllables first.

Thanks.

Dandavat pranams

Hare Krishna.

• Thanks for the advice, I visited ISKCON and vaishnavas there told me that try to concentrate on the Mahamantra , same advice that krishna dasa prabhu ji gave. I thank all of the vaishnavas for their answers.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

In Gaudiya Vaishnav sampradaya also, we say that while chanting, the realisations will be naam, rup, guna, lila - name, form, qualities and pastimes - in 4 stages. The only difference is - it has to come naturally and not by pretence. 

Try to be attentive while chanting. Try to chant in the morning. I heard in a lecture by HG Mahatma Prabhuji that what we do in 22 hours of our day determines how our chanting will be in the 2 hours. Therefore, endeavour to simplify your life, make Krsna the centre of all your activities to the extent possible and continuously pray for the mercy of devotees of the lord.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• hare krishna prabhu 

you should read shikshashtakam prayers and list of 10 offenses before chanting. it is mandatory. 

these are japa tips from devotees : 

1.Chant early in the morning, if possible 5 am to 7 am
    2.Chant along with Srila Prabhupada's japa tape
    3.Chant with good chanters (when possible)
    4.Record your chanting so you can hear whether you skip syllables
    5.Read at least one inspiring text a day from Srila Prabhupada's books about chanting (like the compilation "The Nectar of the Holy Name")
    6.After each 16 rounds, write down in your journal how many rounds you have actually heard
    7.Chant all 16 round in one go (this is very powerful!)
    8. Above all, pray to Lord Krsna and to namacarya Srila Haridasa Thakura to improve your japa
    9.Turn off the mobile phone
    10.Don't turn on the laptop/PC
    11.Don't get into conversations unless absolutely urgent
    12.When mind wanders away, bring it back and focus on the sound
    13.Chant feelingly, not mechanically

14. Chant in front of Srimati Tulasi Maharani.

• E-Counselor

Very good suggestions prabhuji.

These are the typical things we discuss anytime chanting quality is discussed. 

Dandvat pranam to you.

Haribol.

• Hare krishna , AGTSP

Just Keep hearing the maha mantra you are Chanting Attentively,If your Mind Wanders Bring it Back again and keep hearing your Voice saying Hare krishna Maha Maha mantra , Keep Doing this .

• Until ur prarabdha karma ( accumulated sins ) from the past lives get fully exhausted burned down, you wont be able to focus on the present. But only one way to burn the sins is chanting chanting and chanting alone. Keep chanting. Slowly one day you can get focus by the mercy of Guru and Govind.

one more important thing is avoid all distractions, and keep you mind always engaged in KC activities only. Keep all senses engaged in Krishna Krishna Krishna ONLY. 1.  EYES---Seeing only Krishna deity. 2. EARS--- Hearing only Krishna katha., kirtan..etc. 3. MOUTH-&TASTE---, Tasting only Krishna Prasadam.. Vocal chords..talking  and Singing only about Krishna 4. HANDS doing only devotional service like , pooja archana. deity cleaning dressing..etc.. 5. NOSE: smelling only tulasi which is offered on the lotus feet of Lord Sri krishna. 

Mechanical chanting is also okay far better then people who don't even or not able to take name of Krishna once also.

All this chanting is only to make u able to remember the name of Lord at the time of death when u are in death bed. When ur sense organs stop working.., when u cannot move.. when u cannot even use ur mind .. this mechanical chanting becomes so habituated that u will be able to take HIS name automatically...without much effort as u got so much habituated. SO Practice doing chanting regularly sitting in same place, same time of the day.. When your bad karmas are all burned by the grace of guru and Govind you can get their mercy to remain in a fixed mind state. where you can fix ur mind Only on KRISHNA.

Practice makes things happen. Overnight one cannot become a sage.! 

One more thing is.. keep reading baal leelas of Krishna. While chanting remember them.. while closing eyes. you need to visualize each and every leela of Kanha in vrindavan for which you need to keep reading canto 10 Srimad Bhagwatam.  In this way one can focus. 

Hare Krishna.

This reply was deleted.