Concentration

Pranam to all devotee's.

I have been chanting on beads for almost two months. Initial one month was very fulfilling like I used to concentrate well but now I feel I get distracted easily. While chanting my mind wanders like a monkey and lose the way. My lips recite the mantra but mind wanders somewhere else, either in the past or in the future. It wanders constantly through my worries, my mistakes or something else but never sticks to the present.

How do I control it??? I just don't want to do something like this if I am not connected it. Please help.

Thanks and regards

Lokesh Sharma

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Probably it is  a common sign to many. If we look at the 8 steps of Patanjali Yoga sutra, this kind of problem

is (probably) dealt in 5th steps. Let me write the steps Shama, Yama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dhyan, Dharana and Samadhi. The 5th step is called  "Pratyahara" is withdrawing the mind from all subject and force it to the particular subeject

we wish to.  But mind goes to its own likings and we lost our control. This repeats and repeats. However I think there

is way to get over this problem.

1. Lord krishna is telling Arjuna to practice "Abhyas Yoga", we have to try and try.

2. We also need to be little  strict over the steps 1 to 4th. If we neglect this basics, we can not hope

to reach the 5th step.

3. Another practical method is the following. Before chanting try this for few minutes, it works.

After sitting in an easy posture (with close eye) keep watching your  own mind. Divide your own

mind into two, one is like  Police (observer)  and another who is running here and there to its various thoughts.

Keep counting your thought until the mind   tires and slow down. First days we would find that many many thoughts are coming, next day this numbers will reduce and day by day it will reduce more. It is very practical method.

• Volunteer
      Hare Krsna Saptarshi yogi,   This chanting of Hare Krsna is very simple and effective.  Even a child or anyone can do it with very little training.   There is no need to understand the total science behind the mantra.  Just as an injection goes straight into the body and has imedeate effect so the transcendental sound ehters through the ear and goes directly to the inner core the consciousness.  The effect is not material it works from the spiritual dimension.   In the course of chanting under the guidance of the experienced devotee you will be transformed.  Just as a sick person regains good health or a hungry person gets a big feast    you will feel ananda..
      • Hare Krishna,

My humble respect and thanks for your illuminating words.

• Thanks for accepting my friend invitation.

The third point I  wrote about was actually suggested by Vivekananda, Please find the  pdf attachment here.

http://www.abvym.org/PDF/English%20Literature/Watch%20your%20mind.pdf

it can be found in the link

http://www.abvym.org/litonline.html

and then click on watch your mind

Also  the first two points of Patanjali Yoga Sutra should be Yama and Niyama.

best regards,

Saptarshi

• Dear Sharma,

Hare Krishna.

It is simple.

You would have heard of Kaya, Vacha, Manasa. What you do, speak/utter and think.

You do/roll beads on your middle finger which is the probe for tamasa(pointing finger is rajasa and the thumb is satva).

You utter with your mouth the Divine Name of Bhagavan Sri Sri Radhe Sri Krishna Chandra Himself (you will have known that Kali Yuga He has come in His Namavatara. His Name is He Himself Personified)who is ever present as your closest friend in His Bhagavan Sankarshana dimension.

While doing both these try to use your eyes to read Guru Maharaj Srila Prabhupada's Bhagavad Gita As It Is and then Srimad Bhagavatas. It will confine the mind to visualize what you are reading.

It is like pure convergence or Unified Communications.

Three functional aspects of your body you have indulged in dedication to Bhagavan Sri Sri Radhe Sri Krishna Chandra, Bhagavan Sankarshana will not take long to bring the rest of the faculties to the desired dedicated final frontier.

Have some patience. Two months is nothing but it does spell out your urgency and that is very good.

Enjoy the results. Enjoy His company and most importantly Give Him Enjoyment.

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya, Sankarshanaya, Pradhyumnaya, Anirudhaya ca.

naren

• Volunteer

Dear devotees, Hare Krsna.  I am in ISKCON

for 35 years and stayed in temple ashrams a lot of those years.   No one will ever tell you io read and simultaneously chant your rounds.  Rather you will be reprimanded for such inertentiveness.  Even mooving the mouse on your PC with your left hand while chanting is distracting you from the real business. Devoiees feel the tulasi  mala in their hand and look at them hold them to their heart and touch them to their head.   They pray    Oh Krsna  Please help me.   Please save me.    Please protect me.   They cry from the inermost coreof their heart.

• Hare Krishna Prabhu Ji,

Most importantly Prabhu Ji such cries are justifiable for great personalities under extreme dire conditions like:

Mata Draupadi in the gambling sabha who prayed "Sri Shanka Chakra Gadha Dhari Dwaraka Nilayachuta, Sri Govinda Pundari kaksha Rakshamam Sharanagatam"

Or Gagendra Ji who was on the verge of Death

If you take into Mata Kunti's Divine prayers to Dear Lord it said give me more miseries so that I remember you always and you will be with us.

If you even recall Bhagavan Chaitanya Maha Prabhu He sings that He will endure eternal service unto Dear Lord (though He was Dear Lord Himself giving a demonstration to the fallan souls) Birth after Birth

It is a pity most people have no concern for the uncanny tolerance we are superimposing on Bhagavan Sankarshana and even taking Him for granted:

Kindly do retrospect on the below Dear Prabhu Ji, think from His angle before trying to escape from the clutches of Maha Maya and having a Bhava of enjoying Goloka or Vaikuntha:

sa eva bhagavān ananto 'nanta-guṇārṇava ādi-deva upasaḿhṛtāmarṣa-roṣa-vego lokānāḿ svastaya āste

SYNONYMS

saḥ — that; eva — certainly; bhagavān — the Supreme Personality of Godhead; anantaḥ — Anantadeva; ananta-guṇa-arṇavaḥ — the reservoir of unlimited transcendental qualities; ādi-devaḥ — the original Lord, or nondifferent from the original Supreme Personality of Godhead; upasaḿhṛta — who has restrained; amarṣa — of His intolerance; roṣa — and wrath; vegaḥ — the force; lokānām — of all people on all planets; svastaye — for the welfare; āste — remains.

TRANSLATION

Lord Sańkarṣaṇa is the ocean of unlimited spiritual qualities, and thus He is known as Anantadeva. He is nondifferent from the Supreme Personality of Godhead. For the welfare of all living entities within this material world, He resides in His abode, restraining His anger and intolerance.

PURPORT

Anantadeva's main mission is to dissolve this material creation, but He checks His anger and intolerance. This material world is created to give the conditioned souls another chance to go back home, back to Godhead, but most of them do not take advantage of this facility. After the creation, they again exercise their old propensity for lording it over the material world. These activities of the conditioned souls anger Anantadeva, and He desires to destroy the entire material world. Yet, because He is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, He is kind toward us and checks His anger and intolerance. Only at certain times does He express His anger and destroy the material world.

We have to freverently pray to Him. How is it that we have brought you to this stage O my Dear Bhagavan Sankarshana? How do I make amends? Please be gracious on me the vilest of the vilest sinner worm and command me and guide me to eternal service unto your Divine Lotus Feet so that I may eternally and relentlessly serve you to your Divine satisfaction with performance perfection which is nothing but a Divine resultant of Your Divine Blessings.

We have been provided sufficient knowledge, complete protection to migrate to His eternal Loving Service. Not to ditch Him by aspiring to go to Goloka or Vaikuntha and let Him continue to stagnate in Rasatala.

Just think about it O divine Prabhu Ji

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya Sankarshanaya Pradhyumnaya Anirudhaya ca

• Volunteer
          Dear Sankarshan prabhu,Hare Krsna.   I thank you for the replies which I read with interest.    The idea of reading Srimad Bhagavatm and chanting is good.   But we do not do them simultaneously.   We also chant the slokas of Bhagavatam   as well as reading.    There is slokas we can chant along with chanting japa to help us in meditation.     The system of bhajan we follow is fully described in books like Nectar of devotion by Srila Rupa Goswami and other ISKCon books.    This chanting of loud japa ,  Hare Krsna maha mantra is stressed there and was practiced by the nama acarya Hari Das Thakur.   Sri Caitanya also was always chanting a fixed number of rounds on mala every day.    And this system of bhajan is being handed down in parampara to  us through the teaching of Srila Prabhupada.   In his ISKCon society you will find we are all following this same system of chanting reading etc.    We have full faith in the teachings of our Gurudev and have received personal training in this system of bhajan.     We understand there are different teachers of worship of Krsna and we do not disrespect them. We offer our humble respects to all the vaisnaca devotees of the Lord,    We have an attraction for Sri Sri Radha and Krsna in Vrndavan following in the line given by Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and we like others to come and join us.   That is the purpose of ISKCon Desire Tree.     As far as crying for Krsna Lord Chaitanya has taught us that to always cry with intense feeling of separation from Krsna is the perfection of all our bhajan.
          • Dear Prabhu Ji

The main concept of the Solution approach of Bhagavan Sankarshana is that on the entirety of Bhagavan Sri Sri Radhe Sri Krishna Chandra being Sat Chit Ananda Svarupa does offer any fitment for Dukhalaya / Maithunyagara (BG page 207 Chapter 3 Text 39 purport by Guru Mahadev Srila Prabhupada) into it however distantly it may have been spaced and placed through His unconceivable Potency of n mux, n band and n switch. It still remains as a pin prick in the infinite Divine thought process.

His Divine ways are amazing, awesome, saddening and loving. On one side He is the recipient of the rejection and revolt by indolent souls at the Tatastha while He Himself as Maha Sankarshana (not Mula Sankarshana) micromanages the false enjoyment of the indolent deemed defaulting Jivas as Bhagavan Paramatma, Linga sarira and all. On the same side He Himself as Bhagavan Sankarshana decides to have his primary mission of dissolve the material worlds and keep it that way in the Best interest of Bhagavan Sri Sri Radhe Sri Krishna Chandra who is none other than He Himself and ensures the following:

1. True “n” Actual Sat Chit Ananda
            2. Peaceful expansion
            3. No thought of Dukhalaya / Maithunyagara ever again.

Such is the child like nature of my Bhagavan around whose Divine Lotus Feet I will dance.

Om Sri Sri Bhagavan Sankarshanaya Namaha

• Hare Krishna Dear Prabhu Ji.

The concept of Unifying all sensory perceptions and simultaneously converging all of them unto the Divine Lotus Feet of Dear Lord came to me from my vocational sphere in the mundane plane since I specialize in Enterprise Converged Unified Communications with Bandwidth on Demand. This has helped me to over come the wandering of the mind to a great extent quickly because we are bound heavily by mundane activities towards the deemed family and also the karmic latencies that burden us heavily. It is like fighting within a fort (Durg). Nivritti through acute and core depths of Privritti. Unlike Blessed souls who are resident at the very home of Dear Lord ISKCON. Hare Krishna

The mundane IT / ITES network Infrastructures are constantly migrating to newer emerging technologies continuously (NGN, 4G/LTE, Telepresence etc) what to speak of the transcendental Infrastructures manifested by Bhagavan Sankarshana Himself who has manifested Goloka it self. Now it (both the spiritual and the material Infrastructures) are being streamlined and migrated towards Zero transmission loss / attrition (we Jivas in all the millions of egg shaped universes put together with all their 14 levels of planetary hierarchy each etc) which Bhagavan Sankarshana is micromanaging thanklessly and relentlessly since time immemorial. Magnetism and weightlessness are His technologies. Everything we see around us is a direct or indirect manifestation of magnetism (IT, wireless transmission, TV, telephones, software, automobiles and all).

To sum it up not only dissolving the material worlds but also keeping it that way going right up to the vulnerability management of the countless (n) indolent Jivas who appear at the Tatastha / Brahma Jyothi and ensuring that they are 100 % guided towards dedication to Bhagavan Sri Sri Radhe Sri Krishna Chandra and not exploitation as is the current condition in mammoth numbers.

By His Divine Grace and causeless mercy He has been extremely kind enough and gracious enough to accept this lowly worm’s humblest cries of eternal servitorship in those domains of dissolutions and retention/attrition management.

Not only Bhagavan Sankarshana’s mission will remain ever accomplished but so will my confidential targets remain eternally achieved along with all the fallen and fallible Jivas

This will be an eternal process where He has spelt out 7 confidential models that will be simultaneously active in all the millions of egg shaped material universes simultaneously during dissolution and 3 confidential models at the Tatastha that will be ever active as aftermaths of dissolution in keeping His Divine Mission ever accomplished.

With Warm and Deepest Regards

Sankarshana Dasa

This reply was deleted.