chanting

"By practical experience also, we can perceive that by chanting this maha-mantra, or the great chanting for deliverance, one can at once feel transcendental ecstasy from the spiritual stratum."

A snippet of Srila Prabhupadas quote from his description of the maha mantra.

I chant but i dont really feel any of these symptoms ...

What is going on ,and how to improve ?

I must say in the past i have had that taste but now it seems to have vanished...

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna,
    You have 5 senses plus mind.
    How many senses are you using at a time while chanting??
    I mean..
    1. Eyes- for seeing Krishna deity, and reading about Krishna.
    2. Ears- for hearing about the glories of Krishna and hearing lectures of devotees of Krishna, Hearing your own sound vibration produced when you chant Mahamantra.
    3. Nose- for smelling the tulsi leaves and Sandalpaste applied to the Lotus feet of Krsna.
    4. tongue- for tasting the prasadam offered to Lord.
    5.touch- touching the deity by serving the deity, cleaning the premises where you keep the deity the altar, offering flowers to the deity doing seva like changing deity clothes or simply at home also performing all those activities which Krishna would like. ( including Self Cleanliness, as well as cleaning ur home dusting and then doing Pooja diya lighting, arranging flowers for lord.
    In this way the 6th sense that is mind gets automatically involved becoz you want to please Krishna by doing all these activities.
    Then you will develop taste for the name of Krishna.
    How many senses are you involving in doing the chanting.
    Don't chant mechanically.
    Chant with love for Krishna.
    Don't you love HIM? Krishna is sweet right. Form a bond with lord. If there is guest at home. Would you give Him priority or would you keep ur self busy.
    Always remember Krishna with you. Honor Him first give Him only the first priority. Every conditioned soul has a unique relationship with Krishna. When you read HIS stories which part attracts you more find out that and once you make a relationship with Lord. for that you have to read HIS LEELAS.
    They are 9 types of bhakti.
    nine forms of bhakti are listed:
    (1) śravaṇa- (listening to ancient texts), (2) kīrtana (singing the glories of Lord), (3) smaraṇa (remembering teachings in ancient texts), (4) pāda-sevana (service to the Lotus Feet of Lord), (5) archana (worshiping the deity form), (6) namaskar or vandana (bowing to the divine), (7) dāsya (service to the divine), (8) sākhyatva (friendship with the divine), and (9) ātma-nivedana (self-surrender to the divine)
    One cannot feel the attachment to the divine easily if one cannot gets a good association of devotees. Please keep visiting nearby temple.

Sing Mahamantra for the pleasure of it not as a burden to finish rounds.
    enjoy chanting as it is its very peaceful
    Sing along with Srila Prabhupada at the start. until you make a habit. Sing for the pleasure of Krishna not for completion of rounds.
    Once you get the taste you will surely not leave it.
    Read Krsna Supreme Personality of Godhead book and books by Srila Prabhupada.
    Eat Satvik food. No intoxicants and No non veg foods to keep you consciousness pure so that you will see things as it is.
    junk foods and non veg foods and intoxicants make your brain dull and makes the senses all dull, incapable for receiving the transcendental ecstasy while chanting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wQgOLDXeRw
    sing along with Srila Prabhupada for sometime do atleast 4 rounds with this kirtan daily by singing along.. visualizing or watching Krishna photo or deity. Listening to Srila Prabhupada
    use atleast 3-4 senses daily for Krishna. Mind will become stable.
  • also please hear Kirtan mela here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dP3BRVL9PE
  • As you told you were happy & were finding taste so if that is the case then Actually good chanting produces a effect of more chanting so you might have continued with more and more chanting but something happened now, what's that, Actually initially we actually chant with lot of respect and loving and innocent attitude but as time progress we don't really chant or hear the chanting we just think think that yes I have completed one round see, no sir you may have just done externally but did you tried to hear each name as you tried initially, Now if you are not chanting only in reality then how the real taste will come sir, Real chanting is all blissful , so fault lies with us that we are not even chanting , we are so fallen, any way Lord understands that and He will show some reciprocation surely in near future with But you can be happy right now that you are actually giving pleasure to Krishna by chanting even a single Name, so this is little deeper concept of becoming happy by making Krishna happy through following His order of chanting, and whenever Krishna wants , He will give you more taste for More pleasing Him by Chanting His more names. All the Best. If love is not felt then do anyway chanting in association of Pure devotees on duty platform.
  • E-Counselor
    Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Typically it is the result of offences to holy name that the taste for chanting goes away.

I saw your profile, You have mentioned you chant 1 round. In 1 round taste is difficult to develop prabhu. Would it be possible for you to start with 4 rounds atleast and gradually increase to 16 as and when you are comfortable.

Chanting is food for the soul, the way eating is food for the body. If we do not eat enough for even one meal, how will the body be nourished? Same way, we have to chant atleast 4 rounds - it will take 30 minutes, for the mountains of anarthas to dissolve gradually.

Haribol,
    Your servant,
    Radha Rasamayi DD
    • As long as we think there is some lasting value or happiness in this world it doesn’t matter how many rounds we chant, we will not develop a taste for chanting.. is that not true ..? today I chanted 3 and I will chant 1 more round later ...hare krsna
      • E-Counselor
        Unless you chant, how will the enjoying mentality and attempts to look for lasting happiness in the material world disappear?

Its a question of which comes first - unless the consciousness is cleansed, how will the desire to serve the lord arise in the heart? For the consciousness to clear, one has to chant. Chanting the means and end both. Chanting will lead us to spiritual world, where everyone is spontaneously chanting all the time, not mechanically or forced like us in the material world.
        By starting to chant, your journey towards the spiritual world, as well as clearing of your consciousness - both have started. Please continue.
  • vanished for a long time ..
    • As you told you were happy & were finding taste so if that is the case then Actually good chanting produces a effect of more chanting so you might have continued with more and more chanting but something happened now, what's that, Actually initially we actually chant with lot of respect and loving and innocent attitude but as time progress we don't really chant or hear the chanting we just think think that yes I have completed one round see, no sir you may have just done externally but did you tried to hear each name as you tried initially, Now if you are not chanting only in reality then how the real taste will come sir, Real chanting is all blissful , so fault lies with us that we are not even chanting , we are so fallen, any way Lord understands that and He will show some reciprocation surely in near future with But you can be happy right now that you are actually giving pleasure to Krishna by chanting even a single Name, so this is little deeper concept of becoming happy by making Krishna happy through following His order of chanting, and whenever Krishna wants , He will give you more taste for More pleasing Him by Chanting His more names. All the Best. If love is not felt then do anyway chanting in association of Pure devotees on duty platform.
This reply was deleted.