Can't Finish 16 Rounds? Make them up tomorrow?

Hare KrishnaPlease Accept My Humble Obeisances.All Glories to Srila Prabhupada.I was conversing with some devotees and they were speaking about our slip ups. Namely, when a devotee falls asleep without finishing 16 rounds.The solution to the problem they said is to finish the rounds from the previous day, today.The question that came to my mind was, "What would Srila Prabhupada say?" "Is this acceptable?"We are only required to do a mere 16 rounds, and we still have difficulty.Please forgive me if I have offended anyone.And if anyone has anything to add onto this conversation, please do.Hari bolYour ServantDavid

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Prabhu:

Hare Krishna! I would personally avoid missing rounds and falling into the habit of "making them up" at all costs since this usually becomes something of a "deficit system" as I like to call it. Granted, I know that oftentimes in modern society people have very packed schedules and that it can seem nearly impossible to perform sadhana, seva, family life, work and just personal care all in 24 hours. For instance, I am currently a college student taking lots of rigorous courses in addition to being very involved on-campus.

Yet I still make myself chant the minimum 16 rounds daily. 

If you find yourself lacking time for your sadhana [like chanting] perhaps you can try to examine your daily schedule and cut out prajalpic activities like TV, Internet, Facebook, falling asleep unnecessarily and etc. These distractions tend to consume copious amounts of time and without us even realizing it. Ultimately, however, it is up to you to make time for what is most important in your life. Srila Prabhupada made the standard 16 rounds knowing that it is physically feasible for every human being to perform in our current, Kali-Yuga so please try to resist temptations [even excessive sleep]!

Haribol and Many Blessings Prabhu!

Sincerely:

Bhakta Sekou

• Volunteer
    Hare Krsna Prabhu. Try chanting your rounds in fours. This is easy-- four round at a time different times of the day--not all on one sitting---it will be hard for you.
    • Thank you Prabhuji
  • Volunteer
    Mataji wonderful poetry... Hari bol!!!!!!
  • Volunteer
    cry, beg, pray
    but rounds do not delay!
    make Your life and soul
    make Name Your life's goal!

sleep, food will wait;
    mundane talks You've to hate;
    see! hear! feel!
    Time's passing, sometimes He's cruel.
    • Hare Krishna and pranAm Bhaktin Maral Mataji, A very wonderful poetry.. the last line..

Accept Krishna's holy feet and He will Reveal !!

• Volunteer
    Wake up in the morning at 4 am and get it done first thing in the morning. 16 rounds is absolute minimum, not maximum. We need to constantly chant and sing and listen to the Holy Names of the Lord 24x7. That is the only way to keep Maya from taking over.

Also are you performing Japa with utmost attention to Krishna's Names? Because the Holy Names of Krishna are Krishna HIMSELF. It is offensive to chant without attention to the Lord.

We also need to chant with a pleading attitude. O Radha, O Krishna please engage me in your service (meaning of Hare Krishna Maha mantra)

Also, just chanting on the beads is not sufficient. Chanting in congregation / street Sankirtana is a must to achieve pure Love for Krishna. Sankirtana is the first instruction of Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

Haribol
  • Hari Bol David:

I am hardly a devotee at all, but I aspire to be able to chant at least 16 rounds someday (I'm not doing that many now), so I admire the fact that you are at that level, even if you slip up now & then. But in KC, it seems most important to please the spiritual master, and inquire from him. Maybe inquire from your guru about that issue and get guidance from your spiritual master. Just a thought.

Please forgive my offenses.

Your servant,
    Chris
  • Hare Krishna
    We should try to develop the kind of determination that will not let us do anything peacefully without finishing our rounds. You should be so anxious and worried about not finishing your rounds that you will not be able to fall asleep unless you finish all of them. This mood of determination is very beneficial for spiritual life and build faith and leads to realization. In BG Krsna says, "O son of Pṛthā, that determination which is unbreakable, which is sustained with steadfastness by yoga practice, and which thus controls the activities of the mind, life and senses is determination in the mode of goodness." 18.33
  • @Deepak pr, i chant less rounds so that is not a problem for me, i am always able to complete my rounds
    but yeah i remember when i used to chant 16 rounds, then i used to write mahamantra 108 times, even when i got late for Mangala Aarti..
This reply was deleted.