Brahamcharya

All glories to the devotees, our sanatan dharma spread the message of bhakti ,follow dharma, maintain brahamcharya etc. then why great sages wrote Kamasutra and kamashastras ,in kamasutra it's written that before getting in Grihasthashram one should always read kamasutra to maintain happy married life and sex life as well. I'm studying right now to get a job and wants to maintain brahamcharya and do bhakti of Shri Ram and I'm lusty too what should I do?Is reading kamasutra is necessary for grihasthashram to enjoy sensual pleasure and for happy married life. Forgive me for my offense I'm full of lust that's why I'm asking, I want to do bhakti as well but my mind is filled with lusty desires please help

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't think Kamasutras is an authoritative Vedic text, and is probably populated due to those who are overly attached to sex. Also, start telling yourself a different story, that you're becoming free of lust.

• Sevak

Why great sages wrote Kamasutra and kamashastras ?

This has been answered by Lord Sri Krsna in Bhagavad Gita as follows 

yām imā pupitā vāca
    pravadanty avipaścita
    veda-vāda-ratā pārtha
    nānyad astīti vādina

kāmātmāna svarga-parā
    janma-karma-phala-pradām
    kriyā-viśe
    a-bahulā
    bhogaiśvarya-gati prati

Men of small knowledge are very much attached to the flowery words of the Vedas, which recommend various fruitive activities for elevation to heavenly planets, resultant good birth, power, and so forth. Being desirous of sense gratification and opulent life, they say that there is nothing more than this.  ( BG 2.42-43)

So as lord Sri Krsna says, such texts have been written for people who are attached to sense gratification. 

It's written that before getting in Grihasthashram one should always read kamasutra to maintain happy married life and sex life as well. 

I seriously doubt the above statement. In any case it can never be for grihasthas. It may be for grihamedhis. There is a big difference between grihamedhis and grihasthas as stated below by Sri Prahalad Maharaj 

yan maithunādi-ghamedhi-sukha hi tuccha
    kaṇḍūyanena karayor iva dukha-dukham
    t
    pyanti neha kpaā bahu-dukha-bhāja
    kaṇḍūtivan manasija viaheta dhīra

Sex life is compared to the rubbing of two hands to relieve an itch. Ghamedhis, so-called ghasthas who have no spiritual knowledge, think that this itching is the greatest platform of happiness, although actually it is a source of distress. The kpaas, the fools who are just the opposite of brāhmaas, are not satisfied by repeated sensuous enjoyment. Those who are dhīra, however, who are sober and who tolerate this itching, are not subjected to the sufferings of fools and rascals. ( SB 7.9.45)

So grihamedhis are those who are attached to sense gratification and do not know about purpose of life or spiritual values/principles. Grihasthas are those who know that human life is not meant for animalistic pleasures but meant for spiritual self relization and elevation above illusory pleasures. 

I'm studying right now to get a job and wants to maintain brahamcharya and do bhakti of Shri Ram

It is very good that you aspire for a devotional life. Becoming a brahmacary is a very noble aspiration. But in this age it is only possible for a very serious devotees. Those who can absorb completely in humble service to Vaishnavas and absorbe in spiritual sound vibration like chanting of holy names, Srimad Bhagavatam and Bhagavad Gita. There are hundreds of Brahmmacaris all over India and world who completely dedicate their lives for service of Krsna. Best example if that of Srila Bhakti Siddhanta saraswati Thakur. He was a life long naishtika brahmacari and  a very great acarya in our Brahma Madhva gaudiya Sampradaya. 

I'm lusty too what should I do?

This is not specific to you. This is the case with (almost) every living being in every species who has take birth ever in the material world. We are all full of lust. Eveything around us is a by product of this lust- be it buildings, cars, bridges, planes, technology, softwares, communication, govts, society, sports, entertainment, election, defense systems, weapons, health systems etc , everything we see is a direct or indirect manifestation of this lust. Lust is the underlying material principle that is runs the material world. Almost everybody is seriously afflicted with it. It is only devotees who accept it for what it is. 

Lord Sri Krsna has given solution for this in BG 

viayā vinivartante
    nirāhārasya dehina

rasa-varja raso ’py asya 
    para
    dṛṣṭvā nivartate

Though the embodied soul may be restricted from sense enjoyment, the taste for sense objects remains. But, ceasing such engagements by experiencing a higher taste, he is fixed in consciousness. ( BG 2.59)

So here Lord Sri Krsna says that those who have taste for sense gratification, they can be freed from such sense enjoyment when they get an experience of higher taste of spiritual service to Krsna. 

It is like if a person is very hungry and he does not have any food, and someone gives 1 day old chapati he may be inclined to eat it because he is afflicted by hunger. 

But if the same hungry person is given fresh and hot and fresh poori sabji on one hand and old chapati on the other, then he will certainly go for fresh hot poori sabji. 

Similary all of us who are lusty are afflicted by lust are like that hungry person. We have only tasted stale food and are inclined to it because of hunger affliction. But ir we sincerely engage in serving Sri Krsna and absorb in spiritual sound vibration like chanting and hearing Hare Krsna, Srimad Bhagavatam, Bhagavad Gita etc, then Krsna promises that we will experience a much higher taste in his service which not only better in taste but also will satisfy our hunger.

bhakti pareśānubhavo viraktir
    anyatra cai
    a trika eka-kāla
    prapadyamānasya yathāśnata syus
    tu
    ṣṭi puṣṭi kud-apāyo ’nu-ghāsam

Devotion, direct experience of the Supreme Lord, and detachment from other things — these three occur simultaneously for one who has taken shelter of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, in the same way that pleasure, nourishment and relief from hunger come simultaneously and increasingly, with each bite, for a person engaged in eating. ( SB 11.2.42)

But this may not happen overnight. It will require enthusiasm, determination and patience as Srila Rupa Goswami says. But success is guaranteed

Hare Krsna 

• Sevak

Hare Krsna 

Is reading kamasutra is necessary for grihasthashram to enjoy sensual pleasure and for happy married life?

The only happy married life is a one in which both husband and wife are devotees and keep Krsna in the center of their life, house, relation, time, decision making etc. Only devotional service can satisfy our soul, because only devotional service can satisfy Krsna. We have to understand that we trying to enjoy separate from Krsna is the cause of our misery, suffering, lust, circling in the cycle of birth and death. No matter what kamasutra a person reads or practices, sex or anything for that matter cannot satisfy individual jiva separately from Krsna. It is principally impossible and happens only when the jiva is under illusion sue to material energy - Maya. 

Hare Krsna

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna  Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

If there is lust and you are not able to remove it, then better to enter into grihasta ashram and regulate it. 

That is the reason these texts were written. Even at that time, it was not possible for everyone to become brahmacari. For those who will choose grihasta ashram,these books were written. And no, it is not necessary to read them in today's age, except if you want some pleasure out of reading them. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Thank you mata ji 

• its just for better positions: kamasutra LMAO.

This reply was deleted.