BHAKTHI

Who is a true devotee? Explain his characters. How can I become a true devotee of Shri Krishna? How to divert our thoughts from materialistic desires ( including anger, greediness, lust, etc) into service to Shri Krishna?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura Goswami Prabhupada elaborated on this point very emphatically in the Kirtan, "Vaishnava Ke?" (Who is the Vaishnava?)

http://kksongs.org/songs/d/dustamana.html
    Dusta Mana
  • Hare Krishna,

Well, everything is already explained very nicely by prabhu ji's. There is nothing there to add..when Srimad Bhagwatam and CC are also quoted..... let me quote from BG what Bhagwan tells about the characteristics of a devotee which Bhagwan likes to see in a HIS devotee.

Lord Sri Krishna explains to Arjuna the characteristics of a true devotee in Chapter 12 BG Verses 13-20.

Chapter 12, Verse 13-14

One who is not envious but who is a kind friend to all living entities, who does not think himself a proprietor, who is free from false ego and equal both in happiness and distress, who is always satisfied and engaged in devotional service with determination and whose mind and intelligence are in agreement with Me-he is very dear to Me.

Chapter 12, Verse 15

He for whom no one is put into difficulty and who is not disturbed by anxiety, who is steady in happiness and distress, is very dear to Me.

Chapter 12, Verse 16

A devotee who is not dependant on the ordinary course of activities, who is pure, expert, without cares, free from all pains, and who does not strive for some result, is very dear to Me.

Chapter 12, Verse 17

One who neither grasps pleasure or grief, who neither laments nor desires, and who renounces both auspicious and inauspicious things, is very dear to Me.

Chapter 12, Verse 18-19

One who is equal to friends and enemies, who is equiposed in honor and dishonor, heat and cold, happiness and distress, fame and infamy, who is always free from contamination, always silent and satisfied with anything, who doesn't care for any residence, who is fixed in knowledge and engaged in devotional service, is very dear to Me.

Chapter 12, Verse 20

He who follows this imperishable path of devotional service and who completely engages himself with faith, making Me the supreme goal, is very, very dear to Me.

Hmm....diverting thoughts from material desires ( including lust, anger, greediness etc.) into service of Lord Sri Krishna..HOW?

As Bharat prabhu ji said diverting thoughts is temporary ..yes the material desire should go off from us. But its going to take time. We cannot develop Instant vairagya. 

But for time being we can divert every material thought into service of Lord.

Do karma always keeping Krishna in the center. Any Karma if you do, do in such a way it become akarma or nishkama karma.

divert all senses to Krishna just as Ambarish Maharaj did.

https://www.vedabase.com/en/sb/9/4/18-20

in this way constantly pactising one can achieve vairagya ( dispassion ) some day by the mercy of Krishna and guru.

Hare Krishna.

Bhagavad Gita As It Is, 12.13-14: Devotional Service, Text 13-14.
    One who is not envious but who is a kind friend to all living entities, who does not think himself a proprietor, who is free from false ego and equal…
  • Sevak

Hare Krsna 

Who is a true devotee ?

One who is fully surrendered to the Supreme personality of absolute truth Godhead - Sri Krsna 

Explain his characters ?

There are 2 set of characteristics - Primary & secondary.

Primary characteristic of a true/pure devotee is complete surrender to Sri Krsna

There are 26 secondary characteristics or qualities

kṛpālu, akṛta-droha, satya-sāra sama
    nidoṣa, vadānya, mṛdu, śuci, akiñcana
    sarvopakāraka, śānta, kṛṣṇaika-śaraṇa
    akāma, anīha, sthira, vijita-ṣaḍ-guṇa
    mita-bhuk, apramatta, mānada, amānī
    gambhīra, karuṇa, maitra, kavi, dakṣa, maunī
    Devotees are always merciful, humble, truthful, equal to all, faultless, magnanimous, mild and clean. They are without material possessions, and they perform welfare work for everyone. They are peaceful, surrendered to Kṛṣṇa and desireless. They are indifferent to material acquisitions and are fixed in devotional service. They completely control the six bad qualities — lust, anger, greed and so forth. They eat only as much as required, and they are not inebriated. They are respectful, grave, compassionate and without false prestige. They are friendly, poetic, expert and silent. (CC Madhya 22.78-80)

How can I become a true devotee of Shri Krishna ?

By chanting of the Hare Krsna Mahamantra

Hare Krsna Hare Krsna 

Krsna Krsna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama Hare Hare

in a favorable & humble attitude. 

How to divert our thoughts from materialistic desires ?

Diversion of thoughts is only a temporary solution. Permanent solution is to be freed from materials desires. This is possible very quickly by simply chanting the Hare Krsna mahamantra & following 4 regulative principles of Krsna consciousness. 

Hare Krsna

• Thank you so much, prabhuji for your enlightening answer. Danvants pranam! Hare Krishna !

• This reply was deleted.
    • Thank you so much, prabhuji for your enlightening answer. Danvants pranam! Hare Krishna !

This reply was deleted.