Bhagavad Gita VS Shrimad Bhagavatam

Hare Krishna 

Please compare
BG 11.51-53

Translation: 
When Arjuna thus saw Kṛṣṇa in His original form, he said: O Janārdana, seeing this humanlike form, so very beautiful, I am now composed in mind, and I am restored to my original nature.

Translation: 
The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: My dear Arjuna, this form of Mine you are now seeing is very difficult to behold. Even the demigods are ever seeking the opportunity to see this form, which is so dear.
Translation: 
The form you are seeing with your transcendental eyes cannot be understood simply by studying the Vedas, nor by undergoing serious penances, nor by charity, nor by worship. It is not by these means that one can see Me as I am.

And Now please read 
SB 1.9.24

Translation: 
May my Lord, who is four-handed and whose beautifully decorated lotus face, with eyes as red as the rising sun, is smiling, kindly await me at that moment when I quit this material body.

Now please suggest that which form (2 hands or 4 hands) is very special!

If your answer is two hands then why A mahajan like Bhismadev wanted to see the Lord's four handed form at the time of death? Confused.
Please clear my doubt?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

I will try to answer with my very limited resources. What I have heard in lectures (specifically HH Bhakti Purushottam Maharaj) is that the 4 handed Vishnu form of the lord is rare, but even more rare than that is the 2 handed Krsna form. As Krsna, He is Himself - doesnt assume any form. The 4 handed form invokes awe and reverance where 2 handed form invokes intimacy (in any of the 3 rasas - sakhya, vatsalya and madhurya). What Maharaj explained to us is that we humans find it difficult to think that God will be 2 handed like us. We think that because He is God, there should be something more.

That is the reason the position of Goloka Vrindavan is supposed to be higher than the position of Vaikuntha planets.

Regarding Bhisma pitamah asking to see the 4 handed form, it depends on the bhaav of the devotee. For Bhisma pitamah maybe, the bhaav was of awe and reverance or it could be that he had already seen the 2 handed form, so wanted to see the 4 handed form at that time. This part is just my mental speculation and I dont know anything for sure.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD 

• Hare Krishna Prabhu,

Bhismadev is in Virya Rasa, which is directly related to some king. So, Krishna in form of 4 hands resemble like warrior. That's why he like to be Him in four handed whereas Arjuna is friend of Krishna that ways he loves Him to be in 2 handed form.

Ys

• Thank you Prabhu Ji and Mata Ji for your reply. But I am waiting for something more....

• Sri Krishna birth :

SB 10.3.9-10Vasudeva then saw the newborn child, who had very wonderful lotuslike eyes and who bore in His four hands the four weapons śaṅkha, cakra, gadā and padma. On His chest was the mark of Śrīvatsa and on His neck the brilliant Kaustubha gem. Dressed in yellow, His body blackish like a dense cloud, His scattered hair fully grown, and His helmet and earrings sparkling uncommonly with the valuable gem Vaidūrya, the child, decorated with a brilliant belt, armlets, bangles and other ornaments, appeared very wonderful.
      SB 10.3.11When Vasudeva saw his extraordinary son, his eyes were struck with wonder. In transcendental jubilation, he mentally collected ten thousand cows and distributed them among the brāhmaṇas as a transcendental festival.
      SB 10.3.12O Mahārāja Parīkṣit, descendant of King Bharata, Vasudeva could understand that this child was the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Nārāyaṇa. Having concluded this without a doubt, he became fearless. Bowing down with folded hands and concentrating his attention, he began to offer prayers to the child, who illuminated His birthplace by His natural influence.
      SB 10.3.44I have shown you this form of Viṣṇu just to remind you of My previous births. Otherwise, if I appeared like an ordinary human child, you would not believe that the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Viṣṇu, has indeed appeared.
      SB 10.3.45Both of you, husband and wife, constantly think of Me as your son, but always know that I am the Supreme Personality of Godhead. By thus thinking of Me constantly with love and affection, you will achieve the highest perfection: returning home, back to Godhead.
      SB 10.3.46Śukadeva Gosvāmī said: After thus instructing His father and mother, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Kṛṣṇa, remained silent. In their presence, by His internal energy, He then transformed Himself into a small human child.
      Sri Krishnas departure :
      SB 11.30.26Lord Balarāma then sat down on the shore of the ocean and fixed Himself in meditation upon the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Merging Himself within Himself, He gave up this mortal world.
      SB 11.30.27Lord Kṛṣṇa, the son of Devakī, having seen the departure of Lord Rāma, sat down silently on the ground under a nearby pippala tree.
      SB 11.30.28-32The Lord was exhibiting His brilliantly effulgent four-armed form, the radiance of which, just like a smokeless fire, dissipated the darkness in all directions. His complexion was the color of a dark blue cloud and His effulgence the color of molten gold, and His all-auspicious form bore the mark of Śrīvatsa. A beautiful smile graced His lotus face, locks of dark blue hair adorned His head, His lotus eyes were very attractive, and His shark-shaped earrings glittered. He wore a pair of silken garments, an ornamental belt, the sacred thread, bracelets and arm ornaments, along with a helmet, the Kaustubha jewel, necklaces, anklets and other royal emblems. Encircling His body were flower garlands and His personal weapons in their embodied forms. As He sat He held His left foot, with its lotus-red sole, upon His right thigh.
      All His forms are eternal, but only one is original which is most dear to Him.
      Non of devotees in Goloka Vrindhavana abode knows transcendental knowledge about Krishna.
      Sri krishna is their son, lover, friend, neighbour,..but He is never Supreme God to them.
      Then how those who try to cultivate knowledge about God can have vraja mood and reach Goloka ?
      The path of real transcendental knowledge and the path of gopi rasa mood bhakti doesnt go together,
      therefore those who try cultivate both will not progress in either path.
  • Hare Krsna Prabhuji,
    All glories to Srila Prabhupad!

http://www.vedabase.com/en/bg/11/52

Bhagavan uvaca
    Su durdarsam idam rupam
    Drstavan asi Yan mama
    Deva apy asya rupasya
    Nityam darshana kank-sinah

Translation : The Supreme Personality of Godhead said : My dear Arjuna, this form of Mine you are now seeing is very difficult to behold. Even the demigods are ever seeking the opportunity to see this form which is so dear.

Krsna Himself says in Bhagavad Gita that even the demigods do not get to see Lord Krsna's two handed Syamasundara form so easily as compared to Four handed form as Narayana or the universal form.

http://www.vedabase.com/en/sb/1/9/40

Please read this verse as well as purport.

Here Bhishma says that let his mind be fixed upon Lord Krsna who has attracted the gopis of Vrajadhama.
    Prabhupad says in the purport that the relation of the Lord with Arjuna is undoubtedly praiseworthy for devotees like Bhishma but the relation of the gopis with the Lord is still more praiseworthy because of their still more purified loving service.

And Bhishma was attached to the Partha Sarathi form of Krsna. He was remembering Krsna as the friend of Arjuna, lover of the gopis etc.

Mahajans are those people who have known the religious principles.

Other Mahajans like Prahlad, Janaka Maharaj etc were attached to the Supreme Personality of Godhead in the form of Nrsimha Dev and Lord Rama respectively.

Lord Sri Krsna Himself has declared in Gita to Arjuna that it's very difficult to see His form as Krsna even for great demigods.

Lord Brahma is also one of the Mahajans and we are following him. We are all under Brahma Madhava Gaudiya Sampradaya. So Brahma ji has provided Brahma Samhita which describes about the Original Personality of Godhead Lord Sri Krsna and how He is at the zenith.

Please read Sri Brahma Samhita. All your answers will be provided.
  • Bg 11.52

śrī-bhagavān uvāca
    su-durdarśam idaṁ rūpaṁ
    dṛṣṭavān asi yan mama
    devā apy asya rūpasya
    nityaṁ darśana-kāṅkṣiṇaḥ
    Word for word: 
    śrī-bhagavān uvāca — the Supreme Personality of Godhead said; su-durdarśam — very difficult to see; idam — this; rūpam — form; dṛṣṭavān asi — as you have seen; yat — which; mama — of Mine; devāḥ — the demigods;api — also; asya — this; rūpasya — form; nityam — eternally; darśana-kāṅkṣiṇaḥ — aspiring to see.
    Translation: 
    The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: My dear Arjuna, this form of Mine you are now seeing is very difficult to behold. Even the demigods are ever seeking the opportunity to see this form, which is so dear.
    In this sloka the word dristavan asi means as you have seen, but its translated -as you seeing now.
    Anyway ,its look like Krishna was talking here about four handed form which Arjuna have  seen just moments before.
    The whole meaning on 3 verses is ruined because of that word.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Despite im not qualified to talk about such things, im going to present another one from many slokas  which i found to be incorrectly translated. All that just in service of Lord, pure devotees, vaishnavas and vaishnavis,
    without disrespecting anyone:

SB 10.29.25

duḥśīlo durbhago vṛddho
     jaḍo rogy adhano ’pi vā
    patiḥ strībhir na hātavyo
     lokepsubhir apātakī
    Word for word: 
    duḥśīlaḥ — of bad character; durbhagaḥ — unfortunate; vṛddhaḥ — old; jaḍaḥ — retarded; rogī — sickly; adhanaḥ — poor; api — even; patiḥ — the husband; strībhiḥ — by women; na hātavyaḥ — should not be rejected; loka — a good destination in the next life; īpsubhiḥ — who desire; apātakī — (if he is) not fallen.
    Translation: 
    Women who desire a good destination in the next life should never abandon a husband who has not fallen from his religious standards, even if he is obnoxious, unfortunate, old, unintelligent, sickly or poor.
    ----------------------------------------
    The word apātakī is faminine sanskrit word, therefore should be translated as '' she is not fallen '' or similar to this.
    Also we can conclude from first word in this sloka that husband can have bad charachter. Well ,if man has bad character then he is bad person as demon, then he cant be translated as husband who has not fallen from his religious standards.
     Translation should be like this :
    The husband who has bad character, who is unfortunate, old, dull, sickly or even poor, are  not rejected or abandoned by women who desire good destination in next life. Such women consider to be not fallen.
    ---------------------
    The married vaishnava matajis who wants to be considered not fallen needs to always serve their husbands and never abandon them, despite all disqualifications of their man.
    In true Vaishnavi mataji, word '' divorce'' doesnt exist and never will.
    Thats my opinion about all that.
This reply was deleted.