AVTAAR OF GOD

I have read the shreemad bhagwatam and was reading chapter of avataar of God............I found there 24 avtaar while isckon bahgwatam realise for 22 avataar...............two of avtaara  out of which ....................1.  Haigreev avataar about the veda stolen of brahama

2. shree hari Avataar for sake of gajraj from crocidile

is not found there .........Please let me clear is it a myth or any of other reason there                            Hare Krishna

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OK. Thank you very much for the kind information. It is clear to me now.

some are aṁśa, some are kalā
    some are purna, some śaktya aveśa

gāyan guṇān daśa-śata-ānanah ādi-devaḥ
    śeṣo ’dhunāpi samavasyati na asya pāram

- Haribol !!

• Are you referring to chapter SB 2.7 : Scheduled Incarnations with specific Functions

I could see 24 Avatar is mentioned there (https://www.vedabase.com/sb/2/7)  :

1. SB 2.7.1 : Barah Avatar

2. SB 2.7.2 : Suyajña Avatar

3. SB 2.7.3 : Kapila Avatar 

4. SB 2.7.4 : Dattātreya Avatar

5. SB 2.7.5 : 4 Sanas Avatar 

6. SB 2.7.6 : Nara-Narayana Avatar

7. SB 2.7.9 : Pṛthu Avatar 

8. SB 2.7.10 : Ṛṣabhadeva Avatar

9. SB 2.7.11 : Hayagrīva Avatar 

10. SB 2.7.12 : Matsya Avatar

11. SB 2.7.13 : Kurma Avatar 

12. SB 2.7.14 : Nrsimhadeva Avatar

13. SB 2.7.15/16 : nāma-dheya /Chakrapani Avatar : saved the leader of the elephants

14. SB 2.7.17 : Vamana Avatar

15. SB 2.7.19 : Haṁsāvatāra

16. SB 2.7.20 : Manu Avatar

17. SB 2.7.21 : Dhanvantari Avatar 

18. SB 2.7.22 : Parashurama Avatar

19. SB 2.7.23/24 : Rāmacandra Avatar 

20-21. SB 2.7.26 : Lord comes in His original form with His plenary portion [ Krishna-Balarama].

22. SB 2.7.36 : Vyāsadeva 

23. SB 2.7.37 : Buddha Avatar

24. SB 2.7.38 : Kalki Avatar 

and finally:

SB 2.7.40: Who can describe completely the prowess of Viṣṇu? Even the scientist, who might have counted the particles of the atoms of the universe, cannot do so. Because it is He only who in His form of Trivikrama moved His leg effortlessly beyond the topmost planet, Satyaloka, up to the neutral state of the three modes of material nature. And all were moved.

SB 2.7: Scheduled Incarnations with Specific Functions
    SB 2.7: Scheduled Incarnations with Specific Functions
    • 1-Kumaras appeared in the beginning of creation before others.

2-Narada and Mohini are missing.

3-In number 13 in your list Lord didn't incarnate, but appeared in His original four hand form to save Gajendra.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SB 2.6.46O Nārada, now I shall state, one after another, the transcendental incarnations of the Lord known as līlā-avatāras. Hearing of their activities counteracts all foul matters accumulated in the ear. These pastimes are pleasing to hear and are to be relished. Therefore they are in my heart.

Avatar comes from a Sanskrit word meaning "descent"

Incarnate comes from Latin. The prefix in- means “in” and caro means “flesh,” so incarnate means “in the flesh.”

Lord Brahma talks in SB.2.7 about LILA AVATARAS, rather then chronological Lord incarnations. 

Its good to know, that Lord who appeared in front of Dhruva maharaja, is not incarnation, nor lila avatara. Its just avatara, because He didn't incarnate, just descent. And He didn't have a lilas or past times.

One should understand whats avatara, lila avatara, guna avatara, incarnation,..otherwise confusion is likely.

SB 2.6.46
      As it was said in the beginning of Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam (1.5.8), one cannot be fully satisfied by hearing unless and until one is given a chance to hear…
      • Thank you very much for those eye openers !!

I have also heard about aśakalāguayuga and manvantara incarnations and śaktyāveśa incarnations -- [ When the Lord descends personally or by His personal plenary expansions, such incarnations are called aṁśakalāguṇayuga and manvantara incarnations, and when the Lord's associates descend by the order of the Lord, such incarnations are called śaktyāveśa incarnations. ]

Are there three guna Avatars ?  Are manvantara incarnations Manus at start of Manvantara ? How do I know which Lila Avatar belongs to which category ? Which are aṁśa and which are kalā avatars ?

- Hare Krishna

amsa -- plenary portion -- Sanskrit Dictionary
        amsa -- plenary portion
        • -There is three gunas, therefore we have three guna avatars.

-During the hundred years of Brahmā’s life, there are 504,000 manvantara-avatāras.

- One day of Sri Brahma consist  14 manvataras, and every manvantara is ruled by different manu.

-In the Svāyambhuva-manvantara, the avatāra is named Yajña. In the Svārociṣa-manvantara, he is named Vibhu. In the Auttama-manvantara, He is named Satyasena, and in the Tāmasa-manvantara, He is named Hari.

-In the Raivata-manvantara, the avatāra is named Vaikuṇṭha, and in the Cākṣuṣa-manvantara, He is named Ajita. In the Vaivasvata-manvantara, He is named Vāmana, and in the Sāvarṇya-manvantara, He is named Sārvabhauma. In the Dakṣa-sāvarṇya-manvantara, he is named Ṛṣabha.

-In the Brahma-sāvarṇya-manvantara, the avatāra is named Viṣvaksena, and in the Dharma-sāvarṇya, he is named Dharmasetu. In the Rudra-sāvarṇya he is named Sudhāmā, and in the Deva-sāvarṇya, he is named Yogeśvara.

-In the Indra-sāvarṇya-manvantara, the avatāra is named Bṛhadbhānu. These are the names of the fourteen avatāras in the fourteen manvantaras.

-amsa In this contest means plenary portions or part of a whole, and kala means portions of the plenary portions, or  a part of a part of a whole.

-All the incarnations of the Lord, including the Lord Himself, descend to the different planets of the material world as also in different species of life to fulfill particular missions. Sometimes He comes Himself, and sometimes His different plenary portions or parts of the plenary portions.

-In the four yugas — Satya, Tretā, Dvāpara and Kali — the Lord incarnates in four colors: white, red, black and yellow. These are the colors of the incarnations in different millenniums and they are called yuga avatars.

• Ok. So now is my understanding of above information correct ? Can you please check ?

amsa avatar : Pradyumna, Aniruddha, Sankarsana, Ramacandra, Vaman, Kurma, Matsya etc.

Kala avatar : Laxman, Shatrughna, Bharat , Ananta Naga, Sesh Naga etc.

- Hare Krishna !!

• Watch this Great Video about the Cycle of Daashavatara
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcfKA2A4Izc&t=0s

• Where is BUDDHA ? Have you accidentally missed ?

who is also the incarnation of Vishnu

• Yes, that's true, Lord Budha is missing.

• The incarnations of the Lord are innumerable, but the only main 21 are chronologically mentioned in SB 1.3 :

1.-Kumāras

2.-Varaha

3.-Narada

4.-Nara-Narayana

5.-Kapila

6.-Dattātreya

7.-Yajña

8.-Ṛṣabha

9.-Pṛthu

10.-Matsya

11.-Kurma

12.-Dhanvantari