Arjuna's Marriage

Hare Krishna,

All glories to all devotees of Lord.

As we know Arjuna married four wives, Draupadī, Subhadrā, Citrāṅgadā and Ulūpī. May I have the information in what circumstances he married four wives and although he was great devotee of Lord Krishna, was he still attracted to Materialistic Beauty? Also Srila Prabhupada always gave stress on having only one wife in whole life even if one chooses for Grihstha ashram but he also said that at that time Kshatriya were allowed to keep more that one wife. Please enlighten me with light of knowledge.  

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

thank You Sudipta Roy for Your answers from which we all get benefit!

---------

in the lecture i heard that Bhishma even though being a Vaishnava claimed that he will drink the blood of Duhshasana and he did so. 

And Maharaj says that he did it because it is his nature - the nature of kshatriya.

And in this way Arjuna was approached by girls and it says that kshatirya should not refuse the request of a chaste girl for marriage. In this way there was not anything wrong in it.

Also kshatriyas were in the mode passion and it is normal that for some extent he had some attraction for those ladies. These attractions will be there till we are in this material body but intelligent one can control his senses or regulate them.

-------------

In previous ages chaste ladies could marry to many husbands i some circumstances as Sudipta Roy Prabhu told but not in the age of kali. And let one take birth from fire in order to say or try to be equal with Draupadi!

And let somebody please Durvasa Muni in such an extent so that he will give such like benedictions then we will also follow Kunti Mata. But until we can not do so we have to be humble and not to think bad of them.

Your servant,

• I like the reply from H.G. Sudipta Roy.

Thanks a lot prabhuji for enlightning us on this.

Hare Krishna - Milind Pande

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Prabhuji. Dandavat Pranam. All Glories To Srila Prabhupada

During Vedic times it happens so that a man can have more than one wife if He can properly maintain all the wives with proper respect and with all necessary material facilities. At Vedic era female ratio were more than male ratio, and also most of the men engage themsleves in life long celibacy for self realization, but at the same time the injunction was then woman can't be live unmarried, so due to that Kshatriya kings used have several wives, and they maintain all the wives equally with proper care and respect. So it was Social responsibility rather than attraction for beauty, and marriages was based on proper Vedic principle, guided by learned Brahmanas.

But in today's situation, who have the ability to maintain more than one wife where men can't even maintain himself. So the injunction for Kali-yuga is to have one wife only, because in Kaliyuga most of the marriages happen on mere sex attraction rather than based on orthodox Dharmic principle. So for this age a man can have only one wife.

Hope this will help

your aspiring servant

Hari Bol

• Hare Krishna Prabhuji.

Srila Prabhupada ki jai.All glories to devotees like you.

Thanks a lot for throwing light on my limited understanding due to my imperfect senses and limited intelligence. I would be greatful if you can throw light on Kunti calling different demigods to beget a child. Was that appropriate and justified at that time Although Kunti was not married to any of them?

Also Draupadi having five Husband. Kunti and draupadi were great devotees of Our Lord Krishna and Krishna also considers them as his great devotees. I just want to get a clear picture that what kind of qualities Krishna expects in a devotee. Whether its just realization that we are nothing but expansion of his marginal energy and thus His eternal servent or added to it some code of conduct in life as well.

Servant of Servant of Servant of Lord Krishna

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Prabhuji. Dandavat Pranam. All glories To Srila prabhupada

/*I would be greatful if you can throw light on Kunti calling different demigods to beget a child. Was that appropriate and justified at that time Although Kunti was not married to any of them?*/

Pandu Cursed to never beget a child, and thus unable to provide an heir to the Kuru throne, Pandu begs his devoted wife Kunti to beget a child with a surrogate father, a saintly brahmana. Eventually of course, Kunti will reveal that Durvasa blessed her with the power to call demigods, and she will thus beget three sons with Dharma, Vayu and Indra. But for now, Pandu is trying to convince her to obey him and beget a son with a saintly brahmana. Among his arguments Pandu states:

"O king's daughter, knowers of dharma know that a wife is to do as her husband says, whether he speaks according to dharma or even if he speaks what is not dharma." [MB 1.113.27]1

One might read this verse and conclude that a wife must always obey her husband, right or wrong, since this is what Pandu states. However in the very next chapter, after Kunti has given Pandu three sons, Pandu requests Kunti to call another god and beget another son, yet Kunti adamantly refuses her husband's request and says:

"They do not recommend a fourth child by this means, even in times of trouble. With a fourth child, I would be a loose woman, with a fifth, I would become a harlot." [MB 1.114.65]

Pandu clearly stated that a wife must obey her husband, whether he is right or wrong. But in fact when Kunti is right, Pandu accepts her argument and follows, abandoning a moral principle he has just declared.

Kunti then calls the twin Asvins for Madri, who thus begets Nakula and Sahadeva. But when Pandu requests yet another son for Madri, Kunti refuses and again Pandu accepts the wishes of his wife. We find the same dialectic pattern of moral claims and duties repeated here: a strong male seeks to act in a strong way, claiming such an act to be just. A respected lady then insists on a somewhat different course, and the male adjusts his behavior.

/*Also Draupadi having five Husband*/

verse 155 of Chapter 19 of Mahabharata tatparya nirnaya, written by Srila Madhvacarya.

When Drupada, the father of Draupadi, was disagreeing to give his daughter to the five brothers, Srila Vyasadeva said, “The wives of the five Indras Syamala Devi, wife of Yama (represented by Yudhisthira); Bharati, wife of Vayu (represented by Bhimasena); Saci, wife of Purandara (represented by Arjuna); and ÜNa, wife of both Nastyam (represented by Nakula) and Tasram (represented by Sahadeva) are present in Draupadi in their aàSa avataras. Therefore giving her in marriage to their respective husbands is not an irreligious act.

There can be another doubt: If Nakula and Sahadeva are two, then how can they marry one ÜNa? In their original form, they are ASvini kumaras. The Tatparya nirnaya, chapter 12, verse 124 says, “The devas ASvini kumaras never get separated. Just as nose is one sense organ but has two holes, the ASvini kumaras have only one soul, but two bodies. Therefore, they are presiding deities for nose. Thus having one wife to both of them is quite proper.

Excerpts from Mahabharata, Chapter 11 “The Pan davas Wed Draupadi,” translated by Krsna Dharma Dasa:

Drupada revealed his doubts. He could not see any way by which the five brothers could all become Draupadi’s husband. It would mean that the elder brother would be approaching his junior’s wife. According to scripture, that would be the same as approaching his daughter.

Yudhisthira replied that his heart, which could never turn to sin, felt no misgivings about the proposed marriage. He cited a historical example of a Brahmin girl named Jatila who had married seven rNis at once. There was also the case of the famous ascetics known as the Pracetas. They too, being brothers, had accepted one woman as their shared wife. These examples were found in the Vedas and were not considered sinful. In certain circumstances even established rules may be broken in
        order to preserve a higher religious principle.

Kunti agreed with her son and asked the sage how she could be saved from untruth. Vyasadeva replied, “O gentle lady, you shall certainly be saved from sin. This is eternal virtue.”

The sage turned to Drupada and said, “I wish to speak with you in confidence, O King.” When they were alone Vyasadeva explained to the king why the marriage conformed with virtue. The ascetic told Drupada that Draupadi had been the daughter of a rNi in a previous life. She had prayed to Siva for a husband. In her prayer she asked the deity five times for a powerful husband. Siva had replied, “Since you have asked me five times, in your next birth you shall have five husbands.” Siva could not possibly ordain a sinful act.

Vyasadeva further explained that the princess was an expansion of the Goddess Laksmi. She had appeared from the sacrificial fire in order to become the Pan davas’ wife, who themselves had all been gods in their past lives. In fact, the sage explained, all the brothers had been incarnations of Indra in different millenniums.

Vyasadeva bestowed upon the king the divine sight to see the Pan davas as they had been in previous lives. In his inner vision Drupada saw the blazing form of Indra that each brother had possessed their celestial bodies adorned with golden crowns and garlands.

Struck with wonder, Drupada folded his palms and said to the sage, “O great RNi, there is nothing outside your knowledge or capabilities. My mind is now satisfied. What has been ordained by the celestials must always come to pass. We are all instruments in the hands of destiny. Let my daughter accept all five brothers as her husbands.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/*I just want to get a clear picture that what kind of qualities Krishna expects in a devotee. Whether its just realization that we are nothing but expansion of his marginal energy and thus His eternal servent or added to it some code of conduct in life as well*/

Krishna just wants surrender nothing else, and the message he clearly given in BG 18.66

sarva-dharmān parityajya

mām ekaḿ śaraṇaḿ vraja

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me

and while surrendering śucah ̣"Do not fear " because krishna affirms

ahaḿ tvāḿ sarva-pāpebhyo

mokṣayiṣyāmi

I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions

Hope This will help

your aspiring servant

Hari Bol

• Hare Krishna Pabhu. Dandvat pranam

Srila Prabhupada ki jai.

Thanks for considering me worthy of taking out of darkness.That's why Prabhupada said that you have to ask a true devotee of Lord if you want to clear your doubts. I am obliged. I am not even 10% learned as compared to you. That is why I ask again for your mercy to explain me why before marriage Kunti begot Karna from Surya Dev although at that time there was no necessity or order of Husband.

Servant of Servant of Servant of Lord Krishna

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Prabhuji. Dandavat Pranam. All glories to Srila Prabhupada

When Kunti was around young Once Rishi Durvasa came to visit Kuntibhoja. As we know Rishi Durvasa had a fiery temper and unusual traits people used to fear as well as respect him. Unfortunately, Kunti was selected to serve the Rishi for the duration of his stay and she must oblige no matter at what hour he ordered her to be of service. The poor maiden, reduced to a skeleton and spending sleepless nights served the Rishi diligently.

Thus she served the Rishi for over a years and at the end of that period Durvasa gave her five mantras which were capable of summoning any elemental god of her choice: Surya, Vayu, Ashvini Kumara, Yama or Indra and receive a child through him. The child would be as strong as their fathers and with their godly characteristics.  Durvasa said that by the power of his yogic insight he had realized that misfortune would befall her husband after marriage. Durvasa blessed her and warned her not to use any of the mantras before marriage. Kunti due to her young age and innocence naturally disbelieved the Sage. A few years later when she was but a teen she decided to test the mantra given to her by Durvasa.

Looking out of the palace windows at the golden hue of the scintillating rising Sun, Kunti filled with desire and almost in a trance recited the Surya mantra. To her horror and surprise the Sun God Surya descended down into her palace along with the rays of the rising Sun. Kunti aghast at the mistake she had committed willed the Surya to go back. Surya, helpless and bound by the power of the mantra was unable to do so and Kunti was soon to be the mother of one of the greatest warriors in Mahabharata: Karna. Suryadev however reassured her that she would retain her virginity even after the birth of the baby boy. Nine months passed in agony and tension. Secluded from prying eyes, supported by her ever attendant maid Dhatri and grieving over her folly Kunti finally gave birth to Karna. The child was as bright as the Sun with golden hair and golden kundalas(earrings) and an impenetrable kavacha(armour).

Hope this will help

your aspiring servant

Hari Bol

• Hare Krishna Prabhuji,

All Glories to Srila Prabupada. All Glories to Vaishnavas

Great relief after you cleared my doubts. Only a true devotee can take pain to enlighten a lowly soul like me. I am really thankful to you. Its Krishna's mercy on me only that I come in contact with devotees like you. I want to ask Prabhu that is it possible that mind stops wandering rather than controlling it using intelligence. Right now by mercy of Srila Prabhupada and Krishna I am able to control mind using my Intelligence. But even this stage makes me feel like guilty because I don't want my mind to think about any impure thoughts even for a second as it gives me feeling that I am disrespecting both My Guru Srila Prabhupada and Lord Krishna. Can we attain such stage of purity in this materialistic body or this is and will be nature of mind till we are caged in this material body.

Servant of Servant of Servant of My Lord Krishna

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Prabhuji. Dandavat Pranam. All glories to Srila Prabhupada

Its a progressive stage when we learn to control mind through intelligence , because intelligence is higher than mind. Mind is impure thats why we are encaged in this gross body. But Devotional process is so nice that gradually we get rid of the material contamination of mind and our original spiritual mind starts sparkling , in that stage our thought don't percieve anything impure , because it sees Krishna in everything and everything in relation to Krishna, it is called Vasudeva stag, where total samadhi is attained. So it is possible to have a Krishna conscious mind 24/7 by dint of devotional service and mercy oof Guru and Krishna. So we should progress slowly and steadily with firm faith and conviction in Vedic process and Guru.

And another thing never see shastra with jara chakshu (material eyes), rather always remember that shastra while saying some thing it may seems very mundane and illogical at first glance, but there is always a hidden meaning and reason behind it, and it is to lead the mankind in progressive path. So be have full trust on Shastra.

Hope this will help

your aspiring servant

Hari Bol

• Hare Krishna Prabhu,

Srila Prabhupada ki jai. All glories to all the Vaishnavas.

I am always sure that if I have a doubt then its only my inability to understand things as Shastras are perfect. for that purpose I need mercy of Devotees like you. Thanks a lot for encouraging me that one day there will be no need to control my lower self using my Higher self. I am sure I will be able to achieve it because of blessings of all Vaishnavas. 

Servant of Servant of Servant of Krishna

This reply was deleted.