Replies

• Hare krishna

Pamho

Please find below the clarification by IDT E- Counsellor

Hare Krishna!

Please Accept My Humble Obeisances.

Srila Prabhupada in his letter to Madhudvisa (30-09-69) England explains the basic rules for determining ekadashi tithi:

"We observe Ekadasi from sunrise to sunrise. The 12 midnight is western astronomical calculation, but the Vedic astronomical calculation begins either from the sunrise or the moonrise. Generally it is sunrise. Our calculation is like this: when the sunrise is there, Ekadasi tithi (date) must be there. If Ekadasi tithi is not in the sunrise and the tithi begins, say after a few minutes after the sunrise, then we accept that day as previous to Ekadasi. All our ceremonies are calculated in that way. This means we must see the tithi during sunrise. Therefore, sometimes our dates of ceremonies do not exactly coincide like the western calculations. Just like Christmas Day they have fixed up on the 25th December, but our Janmastami tithi is not fixed up like that. My birthday is on the 1st September, 1896, but this year the tithi of my birthday was fixed for the 4th September. So it is very difficult to calculate, therefore we have to take help from the Indian expert almanac astronomers."

According to 'Navadvip Panjika' of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura, we can comprehend that the tithi at sunrise rules the day:

- If the tithi begins after sunrise and ends before sunrise of the next day (lost) it is combined with the next tithi.

- If the same tithi falls on sunrise two days in a row, observances are scheduled on the first day; except Ekadasi, Amavasya, or Purnima tithis which are scheduled for the second day.

- Ekadasi must come in prior to the brahma muhurta (1 hour 36 min before sunrise). When it does so it is called Suddha Ekadasi, pure Ekadasi. If it begins after that, it is considered impure and is therefore to be observed on the Dvadasi (making Mahadvadasi or compounded) on the next day.

- If Ekadasi falls on sunrise two days in a row, fasting is observed on the second day.

- If Ekadasi begins after sunrise and ends before sunrise the next day it is considered Lost, too short, thus not full, and impure. Therefore the next day is called Unmillani Mahadvadasi.

- If Dvadasi begins after sunrise and ends before sunrise on the next day (Trayodasi), it is also lost, and is to be observed as Trisprsa Mahadvadasi.

- If Dvadasi falls on the sunrise two days in a row the first Dvadasi becomes Vyanjuli Mahadvadasi.

- When the following Amavasya or Purnima falls on sunrise two days in a row the preceding Dvadasi becomes Paksa-Vardhini-Mahadvadasi, Paksa based. Parama Ekadasi in the month of Purusottama.

Conclusion:

With special reference to Nirjala Ekadashi, ideally one should consume the last particle of grain and start the fast - after sunset on the previous day of the actual ekadashi date. The main reason being, as per Hari Bhakti Vilasa, that on ekadashi day there should not be any 'ansha' of beans or grains or food within our body. That constitutes observance of 'pure' ekadashi vrata.

Having said that, the basic principle is not just to fast, but to increase one’s faith and love for Krsna. The real reason for observing fasting on Ekadasi is to minimize the demands of the body and to engage our time in the service of the Lord by chanting or performing devotional service. The best thing to do on fasting days is to remember the pastimes of Krishna and to hear His holy name constantly.

Therefore, by the observance of this special Ekadasi day and its special fast, we can accelerate our spiritual growth, free ourselves from sinful reactions, deliver us from the entanglement of the continuous cycle of birth and death and open the doorway that would lead us back home, back to Godhead.

Kindly watch this short audio visual, where I have tried to elucidate the 'what, when and how' of - Pandava Nirjala Ekadashi.  

Your Servant,

Mathura Vasi Devi Dasi.

• Hare Krishna!

Please Accept My Humble Obeisances.

I have replied to this same question by another devotee friend.

Kindly click on the following link: 

Pandava Nirjala Ekadashi Observance

Your Servant,

Mathura Vasi Devi Dasi.

This reply was deleted.